Amount

She Hulk Disney Plus Series--Not Much News

18 Sep 2020 20:58 #69221 by fats
BBC is now reporting it as fact.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-54202556

I just wish they would pick an actress who had more shape than an ironing board, it's senseless that they have gone down the route to please the modern interpretation of what she should be, comics which the shows are based on are all about exaggeration and not based in the PC would.

I'm just angry that they have wasted their time and the work of a good actress on something that will never be close to what she should be.

Fats
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe, kikass2014

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 Sep 2020 22:16 #69222 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic She Hulk Disney Plus Series--Not Much News

fats wrote: BBC is now reporting it as fact.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-54202556

I just wish they would pick an actress who had more shape than an ironing board, it's senseless that they have gone down the route to please the modern interpretation of what she should be, comics which the shows are based on are all about exaggeration and not based in the PC would.

I'm just angry that they have wasted their time and the work of a good actress on something that will never be close to what she should be.

Fats

Here's hoping the CGI budget is as enormous as She Hulk is supposed to be... to seriously bulk her up when she's green. 

Perhaps their goal will be to emphasize the difference in her two forms?  That could work for some of us. 

Shadar

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
18 Sep 2020 22:28 #69223 by ChaozCloud
Replied by ChaozCloud on topic She Hulk Disney Plus Series--Not Much News
I'll agree on liking my super heroics to be over the top and exaggerated. Which is why I prefer animation for it. Sadly both DC and Marvel has dropped the ball on that part (though DC has made some nice movies).
But when it comes to live action I rather have a good actor over someone who looks the part. And while it would be nice to have both, that is going to be incredibly hard to find. Heck I recall most of us complaining about Gal Gadot being Wonder Woman and we all had to eat our word when the movie came out. So lets not do the same mistake here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, shadar

More
22 Sep 2020 17:03 #69248 by Agent00Soul
Replied by Agent00Soul on topic She Hulk Disney Plus Series--Not Much News
She's an excellent actress who will no doubt add some good comic touches to Jen.  I am absolutely flummoxed as to how they are going to make her into She-Hulk.   There is no doubt she could handle the personality change: that's how she became famous in OB.  But it will be fascinating to see if it's even possible to make her look like She-Hulk when she is CGId, which I think is most of the show since the Slott run generally had her transformed 75% of the time or so.   Maybe they will just do a full CGI Shulkie that is motion capped from her acting in front of a green screen doing motion and audio capture.  Similar to Andy Serkis as Gollum.

More
22 Sep 2020 20:33 #69249 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic She Hulk Disney Plus Series--Not Much News

Agent00Soul wrote: She's an excellent actress who will no doubt add some good comic touches to Jen.  I am absolutely flummoxed as to how they are going to make her into She-Hulk.   There is no doubt she could handle the personality change: that's how she became famous in OB.  But it will be fascinating to see if it's even possible to make her look like She-Hulk when she is CGId, which I think is most of the show since the Slott run generally had her transformed 75% of the time or so.   Maybe they will just do a full CGI Shulkie that is motion capped from her acting in front of a green screen doing motion and audio capture.  Similar to Andy Serkis as Gollum.

For part of the Slott run, she wasn't allowed to be She-Hulk at work (as a lawyer) it was part of her agreement with Holliway (her boss).  Then after the Power Gem/Titania arc (REALLY AWESOME), she had psychological trouble turning to she-hulk and used a gizmo to force the change.  She-Hulk was how she felt "safe" and when fighting Titania + Power Gem She-Hulk wasn't "safe" and she only escaped (and won) by turn into Jen.  So she had to deal with that before she could transform readily again.

Before that she'd spent ALL her time as She-Hulk.

It is pretty much true that she spent a lot of time as She-Hulk in the comic, but it would be really easy to keep in spirit with the Slott run (esp the start of it) and have her be Jen most of the time and turn into She-Hulk for a bit of action/excitement each episode.

There is a really great panel where Jen comes home exhausted from work and slides into being the She-Hulk for relaxation.

Since Hulk is mo-capped, I'd be surprised if She-Hulk isn't.  One of the things they do well with CGI Hulk is getting Ruffalo's human emotions onto the Hulk face.  My only worry is "how much does that cost?"

More
22 Sep 2020 21:44 #69253 by Agent00Soul

TwiceOnThursdays wrote: Since Hulk is mo-capped, I'd be surprised if She-Hulk isn't.  One of the things they do well with CGI Hulk is getting Ruffalo's human emotions onto the Hulk face.  My only worry is "how much does that cost?

Hopefully Disney will ask Uncle Scrooge to chip in.  :)

More
22 Sep 2020 21:57 #69256 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic She Hulk Disney Plus Series--Not Much News
Going with the Slott run as you describe it Twice, might be a way for the to keep the budget in check for sure.  May be the way they are heading with it.

A CGI She-Hulk at the quality of Hulk in the films will cast a BOMB to produce (especially on a TV series schedule - rendering CGI ain't the fastest thing :P )

However, having said that, if any company can afford to do it, Disney is probably one of the very few that could.

Wonder if they will follow the original Bill Bixby formula, and have Jen for most of the episode, and She-Hulk appears once or twice per episode for an action scene?

Peace.

/K

More
22 Sep 2020 22:06 #69257 by Agent00Soul
So much time has passed since the Bixby show that it could be updated without looking like they were re-treading old ground.  A quirky thing to do might be to update it: have She-Hulk handle most of the episode but she must change back to Jen for short, but crucial to the plot, instances.  Such as court appearances, visits to the legal library, etc.

More
22 Sep 2020 22:27 #69258 by lfan

kikass2014 wrote: Going with the Slott run as you describe it Twice, might be a way for the to keep the budget in check for sure.  May be the way they are heading with it.

A CGI She-Hulk at the quality of Hulk in the films will cast a BOMB to produce (especially on a TV series schedule - rendering CGI ain't the fastest thing :P )

However, having said that, if any company can afford to do it, Disney is probably one of the very few that could.

Wonder if they will follow the original Bill Bixby formula, and have Jen for most of the episode, and She-Hulk appears once or twice per episode for an action scene?

Peace.

/K

Am sure the cost/quality is far more affordable than even when the Hulk films came out.  And prob getting cheaper the longer we wait.  As for a "TV Series Schedule", these types of vehicles don't really apply.  A traditional TV series schedule -- for a 26 episode hr long drama -- usually shoots the first 13 episodes from May/June to Sept/Oct, so approximately 5 months worth of shooting for 13 episodes.  Say its like a typical "streaming show" and will shoot 10 episodes.  Set to start in early 2021, it'll be at LEAST a year before release. 

I mean,  Netflix's Jupiter Legacy (superhero fare so prob a good amount of CGI) has been shooting for over a year and they are still working on post-production (though trailer is completed I hear).  I think they'll take the time and possibly budget (good) to get it right if it's heavy CGI, but I think we'll have to wait (bad)

ElF
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

More
22 Sep 2020 22:40 - 22 Sep 2020 22:41 #69259 by kikass2014
I take what you are saying Lfan, and thats pretty much my point.  If any production company had the money to produce that quality of CGI, its Disney.

Having worked with 3D, the quality (and time) that went into producing Ruffalo's Hulk is INSANE.  Even though we still see it as CGI, the quality, along with Thanos, is pretty much up there with the best of the best tbh.

Granted, the technology now exists, which will speed things up.  However, it is still a time and labor intensive production (just look at the CGI artists in the credits :) )

Using CGI in superhero shows is not new for sure.  The Flash for example, uses quite a bit of it.  Some of it looks good (the 3D model of Barry for example), a lot of it looks....well, lets say ropey.  I'm sure Disney will be spending a LOT more money on it.

Curious to see how it looks for sure.

I like your idea Agent00Soul.  The idea of flipping the formula could be an interesting twist.

Peace.

/K
Last edit: 22 Sep 2020 22:41 by kikass2014.

More
22 Sep 2020 23:05 #69262 by TwiceOnThursdays

kikass2014 wrote: Going with the Slott run as you describe it Twice, might be a way for the to keep the budget in check for sure.  May be the way they are heading with it.

Peace.

/K

I think the Hulk is one of the top CGI costs in the MCU movies overall.  I went looking and looking over this list, it seems to indicate that is true. (though I don't know what their source for this was.)

screenrant.com/mcu-most-unbelievably-exp...cenes-marvel-movies/

The only other consistent entry is de-aging actors.

But the Hulk (and having the Hulk BE hulk by tearing shit up) shows up on this list.  And worse, they do a GREAT Job of bringing Ruffalo through, but I think She-Hulk will require "great job +1" to do right (she needs to be better).  There is probably going to be someone's job that is just "Boob Physics".

Or at least I HOPE someone's job has to be Boob Physics. ;-)

OTH, what takes a lot of time (and thus $$) to render in 2012 (Avengers 1 level HUlk) is now a lot cheaper since computers are a shit-load faster, the software is much better, AND the marvel digital effects houses have gotten better at using it.

Marvel/Disney CGI houses have gotten REALLY good.  Compare 2015 AofUltron vs 2017 Justice League or WW.  The CGI battles at the end look almost comical vs what the MCU pulls off.  (Just talking technically here, not plot, etc).

But ... you're right still a  lot of $$$$$.   I guess the mouse does have it.  And I'd hope they'd have done some test renders even before picking an Actress.  A "can we even do this" test.

The worst part is getting the first render is costly.  Iron Man is mostly digital now if I understand correctly (RDJ mostly wears some cgi markers).    But getting that Iron Man or Hulk designed and tweaked JUST RIGHT isn't cheap... and the reward for doing that right is paying the costs and time to render it all out.

Though I was surprised to find that the Mandalorian used a lot of in-camera Virtual sets.  There is a GIANT LCD screen behind the actors and it renders out the scene and moves in time with the camera/actor.  Then you film it all in one go with some practical elements in front. They even use VR units to "Scout" virtual locations.  The shit they're now pulling off routinely for TV Shows used to be impossible.

And even if you just use She-Hulk for a few minutes each episode, by the end of a 8-13 episode series  she'll start approaching the MCU's Hulk screentime.   So yeah, I'm very curious about what they're gonna do and how much it'll cost.

I do wonder if some actors are now purposely picking CGI effects movies so someone will pay $$$$ to scan the crap out of them in their prime ... meaning 20-50 years from now they have some nice high-resolution files to work with making it much simpler to de-age them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: slim36

More
22 Sep 2020 23:14 #69263 by Agent00Soul

TwiceOnThursdays wrote: I do wonder if some actors are now purposely picking CGI effects movies so someone will pay $$$$ to scan the crap out of them in their prime ... meaning 20-50 years from now they have some nice high-resolution files to work with making it much simpler to de-age them.

Wow - yes!  Never considered that before...

More
23 Sep 2020 00:58 #69266 by kikass2014
Yeah, the tech used for the Mandalorian ("The Volume" i think its called) is really, REALLY impressive.  And its running on a fricking game engine (Unreal 5 i believe). :)

No doubt effects get cheaper and faster to produce as time goes on.  Totally agree with you Twice on the quality going back to the first Avengers movie and now.  Leagues apart :)

The trick is, doing locations, like for example The Mandolorian, is so so easy now.  3D tech now can render rocks, roads, buildings, cars, so good (and even on a very low budget) you probably wouldn't spot the difference between that and the real thing.  The trick has always been rendering humans, especially emoting human faces (the uncanny valley situation). 

This is the thing that takes time, tech and talent to overcome.  And with the MCU, Hulk and Thanos had the most effort put into them.  Not surprising as they were main characters.  And as you mention, Hulk took up the most in terms of CGI budget.  Will the show have that?  Maybe.  Its Disney after all.

I like the thought of someone working on the boob physics :P   Damn right that is an important bit of tech to get right :P

As for scans of actors, this is something that has been going on for a long time now.  I'm pretty sure they have scans of pretty much every major actor/actress on file by now.  The only thing that stops them from making complete movies, like has been mentioned, is time to render.  It is infinitely faster to film the real thing - and thus cheaper :P 

I remember reading an interview with Chris Nolan about Tenet.  There is a scene, its in the trailer so not a spoiler, where a 747 crashes into a building/hanger.  It turned out that it was CHEAPER to buy a real 747 and crash the thing for real, then to do it in CGI lol :D  Which gives some idea of how much good quality CGI costs :) 

Peace.

/K

More
15 Oct 2020 00:28 #69494 by ballen
Replied by ballen on topic She Hulk Disney Plus Series--Not Much News
They seem to have plans to give her a presence in the Marvel Universe.

www.imdb.com/video/vi2576269593?ref_=hm_...2&listId=ls081395803
The following user(s) said Thank You: Agent00Soul

More
15 Oct 2020 11:31 #69497 by Agent00Soul
That was a surprisingly useful catch-up for those unfamiliar with She-Hulk's history.

More
16 Oct 2020 06:07 #69501 by unseen_unheard
Replied by unseen_unheard on topic She Hulk Disney Plus Series--Not Much News
Malsany says the reports that she's been cast as She-Hulk are not true:

"That actually isn’t a real thing and it’s like a press release that’s gotten out of hand. It’s totally not — I’ve been connected to these things in the past and press has gotten onto it, but it’s not actually a thing, unfortunately."

www.thesudburystar.com/entertainment/loc...c0-ab92-75e41f78ba05
The following user(s) said Thank You: kikass2014

More
16 Oct 2020 16:43 #69506 by kikass2014
Well that is an interesting development.

I (like most others) was pretty convinced she had the role (even if she wouldn't have been my first pick).

Peace.

/K

More
16 Oct 2020 17:06 #69507 by lfan
Yeah, that's really weird to say the least...

You'd think Marvel or SOMEONE would have shot down the rumor.  Wondering if they are still in negotiations....

ElF

More
16 Oct 2020 17:59 #69508 by TwiceOnThursdays

lfan wrote: Yeah, that's really weird to say the least...

You'd think Marvel or SOMEONE would have shot down the rumor.  Wondering if they are still in negotiations....

ElF

I had through it weird there was NO offical annoucment from Disney.  No press release (etc) and marvel usually posts those annoucments too (and I get that stuff since I have a marvel.com account).

Her resonse is open enough that it could mean just that: there is no deal yet and until a deal is signed, it's just news "gotten out of hand".

It's quite possible that since a good portion of her acting is going to be through a CGI character she wants some say in how she looks.  After all she is going to give over a good chunk of her acting time for the next decade if she says yes (in return for a great big pile of cash and a huge bump in her noteriety).  But I would think she would want _some_ idea of how she is going to look FIRST.

More
29 Jan 2021 22:03 #70320 by jyache
Replied by jyache on topic She Hulk Disney Plus Series--Not Much News

First trailer

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Artnico, slim36, MisterK, Agent00Soul, Slim0926, TwiceOnThursdays, RD

More
29 Jan 2021 23:05 #70322 by Agent00Soul
Looks like they gave Jennifer a bit more of an edgy Jessica Jones influence than her more mousy comic book version. 

More
29 Jan 2021 23:25 #70323 by kikass2014
Not bad for a fan made trailer :P 

The latest I've heard is the show "might" drop in November this year.  So probably won't see a trailer until late summer time at the earliest.

Though having said that, Eternals was supposed to come out LAST November, and not a single frame from that film has been released.  So who knows :)

Peace.

/K
The following user(s) said Thank You: shadar, Markiehoe

More
30 Jan 2021 15:22 #70326 by elnovo1234
Replied by elnovo1234 on topic She Hulk Disney Plus Series--Not Much News
You mean fake trailer
The following user(s) said Thank You: shadar

More
31 Jan 2021 03:43 #70332 by jlanno
Replied by jlanno on topic She Hulk Disney Plus Series--Not Much News
This is a fan made trailer. She Hulk footage has been taken from here:
The following user(s) said Thank You: jyache, Markiehoe

More
31 Jan 2021 16:02 #70333 by jolsen327
Replied by jolsen327 on topic She Hulk Disney Plus Series--Not Much News
Looks to be a fan trailer, not official.

More
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds