Amount
× Reminder: this is not a miscellaneous discussion forum. If your thread is not about the forum itself, its software, or its mods, please look for a more appropriate home -- thanks.

NOTICE: Impending change to SWM forums (Sept 2016)

06 Sep 2016 18:14 #50136 by shadar

fats wrote: Shadar and others, do continue to post NSFW content, we are not trying to make SWM less adult, just trying to make it less obvious, some people might not sign up if they see only NSFW threads on the FP.

Fats


The problem is that most people use only the FP tracker to track changes to the forum.

Effectively, by hiding the NSFW material, your marketing campaign is changing the status of adult material on the site.

One thought... the apparent reason my recent NSFW posts triggered your change was that I put NSFW in the title. I did that because a reader has no idea what forum something is posted in until they open it from the FP tracker, and then it might be too late. I wanted to keep people safe at work.

Not sure yet how I will handle this, other than to say I won't post to forums that don't show up on the FP tracker.

Are you going to take stories with adult content out of the FP story tracker also?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • shadar
  • shadar's Avatar
  • Away
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
06 Sep 2016 18:31 #50138 by lfan

shadar wrote: The problem is that most people use only the FP tracker to track changes to the forum.

This is probably true

shadar wrote: Effectively, by hiding the NSFW material, your marketing campaign is changing the status of adult material on the site.

While we are always trying to grow the community, I think you are making too much stock of this mythical marketing plan. While the NSFW forum will not show on the front, it will still be very accessible through the forum index page -- same as if a new post had been pushed off the list.

shadar wrote: One thought... the apparent reason my recent NSFW posts triggered your change was that I put NSFW in the title. I did that because a reader has no idea what forum something is posted in until they open it from the FP tracker, and then it might be too late. I wanted to keep people safe at work.

I personally have thought that people are turned off when they see the words "porn", "NSFW", or "XXX" on the home page. The perception sometimes -- though unfair -- is that its a porn site. While these are few and far between, a recent poster who shall remain nameless (not Shadar) posted something late the other night in the NSFW forum that totally crossed the line and got deleted ASAP. This was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. While that of course can happen in any of the forums, the fact that it was in NSFW gave the poster, in my mind, carte blanche, to post anything. NSFW still has boundaries and this post crossed it. Again, not trying to censor, and if it dissuades people from posting there, I apologize. The notion that people wont find it cause its not on the front page, I think is myopic. People will find what they want to find in a niche site like this.


shadar wrote: Are you going to take stories with adult content out of the FP story tracker also?

No, but any story with the title "Hot supergirl fucking everyone" might be encouraged to be rewritten (the title).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • lfan
  • lfan's Avatar
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
06 Sep 2016 18:47 #50139 by LustMonster
Replied by LustMonster on topic NOTICE: Impending change to SWM forums (Sept 2016)
A possible solution to the front-page NSFW issue would be to allow a logged-in user to set an option that enables the display of such content on the front page. I think DA works that way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Sep 2016 20:05 #50140 by fats

LustMonster wrote: A possible solution to the front-page NSFW issue would be to allow a logged-in user to set an option that enables the display of such content on the front page. I think DA works that way.


Good idea, just not feasible with the current software, i'll look at possible ways to implement the idea.

Fats

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • fats
  • fats's Avatar
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
07 Sep 2016 05:06 #50143 by ace191
On DA, YOU Cannot see adult content unless you are logged in or give them a birthday date. I would not object if you limited nsfw material to logged in users only. In fact, I think that is a good idea.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, Ravens_ghost

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • ace191
  • ace191's Avatar
  • Away
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
07 Nov 2016 14:38 #51096 by Monty
I'm liking the new colour layout. It looks fresh. Nice one Fats!
The following user(s) said Thank You: fats

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
Time to create page: 0.064 seconds