Amount

Obscure superheroine movies

29 Apr 2015 19:03 - 29 Apr 2015 19:45 #41709 by Agent00Soul
Replied by Agent00Soul on topic Obscure superheroine movies
There's a softcore "remake" of that movie called "2069: A Sex Odyssey" from 1974.


This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 29 Apr 2015 19:45 by Agent00Soul.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SCOTT R

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Apr 2015 19:28 - 29 Apr 2015 19:30 #41710 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Obscure superheroine movies
Specials (2000)

Why not mention this movie?

well yeah this is both a team movie, and famously really doesn't have much of any superpower stuff until the last minute or so of the movie, but whats there is actually pretty good.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

[/img]

And all four of the femaile supeheroines in it, which all in various ways play around with some of the pyschology of the idea. From Paget Brewster deeply unhappy s Ms. Invicible who wonders about the life choices lead her to put a costume on everyday, to Jordan Ladds Perky newcomer who is lead to dark spots without any fault of her own. And maybe one of my favorite movie superheroines in Judy Greers Deadly Girl a woman who is both kind of funny snarky goth who hides an inner bit of actual heroism.

and special shout out to yes Robb Lowe(that one) who does career best work as a superhero who becomes the movies villain...without ever really doing anything illegal, or really intending to hurt anyone.

The James Gunn script(who of course yes did Guardians of the Galaxy) is full of great lines-even if though Yeah the movie is a touch uneven and looks a lot cheeper then it actually is. There is a better movie out of this material , but whats here is actually you know pretty good.
Last edit: 29 Apr 2015 19:30 by castor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SCOTT R

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Apr 2015 20:08 #41712 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Obscure superheroine movies

castor wrote: Specials (2000)

Why not mention this movie?

well yeah this is both a team movie, and famously really doesn't have much of any superpower stuff until the last minute or so of the movie, but whats there is actually pretty good.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

[/img]

And all four of the femaile supeheroines in it, which all in various ways play around with some of the pyschology of the idea. From Paget Brewster deeply unhappy s Ms. Invicible who wonders about the life choices lead her to put a costume on everyday, to Jordan Ladds Perky newcomer who is lead to dark spots without any fault of her own. And maybe one of my favorite movie superheroines in Judy Greers Deadly Girl a woman who is both kind of funny snarky goth who hides an inner bit of actual heroism.

and special shout out to yes Robb Lowe(that one) who does career best work as a superhero who becomes the movies villain...without ever really doing anything illegal, or really intending to hurt anyone.

The James Gunn script(who of course yes did Guardians of the Galaxy) is full of great lines-even if though Yeah the movie is a touch uneven and looks a lot cheeper then it actually is. There is a better movie out of this material , but whats here is actually you know pretty good.


It's been a long time since I've seen it and I need to watch it again. (I think I watched it on SyFy, back when they were SciFi, and during one of there stints of actually caring and trying to play Sci Fi).

Except: no streaming. Get with this program hollywood. My only option is to buy the DVD, which generally I don't want, and I also suspect won't lead to any more money going to the people who made the movie.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Apr 2015 21:14 #41713 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Obscure superheroine movies

TwiceOnThursdays wrote:

castor wrote: Specials (2000)

Why not mention this movie?

well yeah this is both a team movie, and famously really doesn't have much of any superpower stuff until the last minute or so of the movie, but whats there is actually pretty good.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

[/img]

And all four of the femaile supeheroines in it, which all in various ways play around with some of the pyschology of the idea. From Paget Brewster deeply unhappy s Ms. Invicible who wonders about the life choices lead her to put a costume on everyday, to Jordan Ladds Perky newcomer who is lead to dark spots without any fault of her own. And maybe one of my favorite movie superheroines in Judy Greers Deadly Girl a woman who is both kind of funny snarky goth who hides an inner bit of actual heroism.

and special shout out to yes Robb Lowe(that one) who does career best work as a superhero who becomes the movies villain...without ever really doing anything illegal, or really intending to hurt anyone.

The James Gunn script(who of course yes did Guardians of the Galaxy) is full of great lines-even if though Yeah the movie is a touch uneven and looks a lot cheeper then it actually is. There is a better movie out of this material , but whats here is actually you know pretty good.


It's been a long time since I've seen it and I need to watch it again. (I think I watched it on SyFy, back when they were SciFi, and during one of there stints of actually caring and trying to play Sci Fi).

Except: no streaming. Get with this program hollywood. My only option is to buy the DVD, which generally I don't want, and I also suspect won't lead to any more money going to the people who made the movie.


I donno. The commentary Track with James Gunn and Paget Brewester did years after the release i will say is easily the best one i have ever heard in my entire life. A story of Gunns continued frustration with the process of making the movie and its director, the pitfalls and rewards of Rob Lowe, the reasons why one should never have dinner with jessica Alba and onset rommance that never quite happened but both kind of in retrospect wish did. Its something to listen too.

(also actually the first track where Gunn does with the Director is also pretty good as a companion as you can see his passive agression in it)

DVDs are going away, and yeah 90% of tracks are borring but there is something special there that the streaming age hasn't quite figured out.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Apr 2015 04:32 #41719 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Obscure superheroine movies

castor wrote:

TwiceOnThursdays wrote:

castor wrote: Specials (2000)

Why not mention this movie?

well yeah this is both a team movie, and famously really doesn't have much of any superpower stuff until the last minute or so of the movie, but whats there is actually pretty good.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

[/img]

And all four of the femaile supeheroines in it, which all in various ways play around with some of the pyschology of the idea. From Paget Brewster deeply unhappy s Ms. Invicible who wonders about the life choices lead her to put a costume on everyday, to Jordan Ladds Perky newcomer who is lead to dark spots without any fault of her own. And maybe one of my favorite movie superheroines in Judy Greers Deadly Girl a woman who is both kind of funny snarky goth who hides an inner bit of actual heroism.

and special shout out to yes Robb Lowe(that one) who does career best work as a superhero who becomes the movies villain...without ever really doing anything illegal, or really intending to hurt anyone.

The James Gunn script(who of course yes did Guardians of the Galaxy) is full of great lines-even if though Yeah the movie is a touch uneven and looks a lot cheeper then it actually is. There is a better movie out of this material , but whats here is actually you know pretty good.


It's been a long time since I've seen it and I need to watch it again. (I think I watched it on SyFy, back when they were SciFi, and during one of there stints of actually caring and trying to play Sci Fi).

Except: no streaming. Get with this program hollywood. My only option is to buy the DVD, which generally I don't want, and I also suspect won't lead to any more money going to the people who made the movie.


I donno. The commentary Track with James Gunn and Paget Brewester did years after the release i will say is easily the best one i have ever heard in my entire life. A story of Gunns continued frustration with the process of making the movie and its director, the pitfalls and rewards of Rob Lowe, the reasons why one should never have dinner with jessica Alba and onset rommance that never quite happened but both kind of in retrospect wish did. Its something to listen too.

(also actually the first track where Gunn does with the Director is also pretty good as a companion as you can see his passive agression in it)

DVDs are going away, and yeah 90% of tracks are borring but there is something special there that the streaming age hasn't quite figured out.


Ended up buying a cheap copy of the DVD from somewhere, listed as "new" via Amazon (but not from their warehouse). $10. I'll have to actually listen to the commentary track, i've only half listened to a few (I end up meaning to, and never do). (This is really the part relevant to this thread: If you want to see this, $10 on Amazon will net you a DVD, shipped, ignore the $20 one with Prime from the store, and instead go to the other vendors.)

I think the last DVD I bought (non gift) was Sparks. I also usually buy the digital access of movies like Avengers grimm right away, even though I know that in a few months it'll likely be on Netflix or Amazon for free. Give money to things you like, so more things like it are made.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Apr 2015 09:55 #41721 by SCOTT R
Replied by SCOTT R on topic Obscure superheroine movies
OMG..INVASION OF THE STAR CREATURES!!! This is the movie that started me off on the wonderful path of superchick worship. I first saw this gem on a late night TV horror show back in the late sixties. I was gonna post it earlier but spaced it. Also, be advised that the MGM DVD release is missing about 10 minutes including the part when Professor Tanga lifts a soldier into the air with one hand.


LAS LUCHADORAS VS EL ROBOT ASESINO A very strong female wrestler takes on a mad scientist, his henchmen and his cool looking killer robot!! Towards the end, the villain creates a superpowerful female cyborg to destroy the luchadora! Even if you don't understand Spanish it doesn't matter; just watch the crazy action.




Other south of the border movies about strong Luchadores fighting villians include..

Doctor Of Doom



Wrestling Women Vs The Aztec Mummy



CON LICENCIA PARA MATAR...

The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 May 2015 19:16 #41762 by five_red
Replied by five_red on topic Obscure superheroine movies
Krystala is another series from the Philippines, in the same mold as Darna. Young impoverished girl moves to the big city and fights monsters in a lycra-clad secret identity, thanks to a magical crystal. Ran from 2004 to 2005, and rumour has it is currently in the process of being rebooted with a new lead actress.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krystala

www.internationalhero.co.uk/k/krystala.htm

R5
The following user(s) said Thank You: Albais, SCOTT R

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • five_red
  • five_red's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
More
02 May 2015 23:56 - 03 May 2015 02:46 #41763 by Helstar
Replied by Helstar on topic Obscure superheroine movies
Clearly a Darna clone, I got most of the Krystala episodes (not the best quality though), there were also some nice villainesses (like Luminax) who have better costumes (& looking) than the lead heroine.

On a negative side the serie features also (as often for Philippines series ^^; !) some transexual villain(s) :sick:

Another Darna clone (which is actually a character that Mars Ravelo made before Darna) is Varga, and she had a small TV serie in 2008.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 03 May 2015 02:46 by Helstar.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SCOTT R

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 May 2015 04:18 #41764 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Obscure superheroine movies
Welst if we are going to include TV(and why not!) I'll include one of my favorite TV shows of the last 10 years.

Cutie Honey: The Live

A story of three Girl Cyborgs who have incredible strength speed and various other gifts, and a live action remake of the famous anime(there is also a movie version of this, which i didn't like at all). But this-this a fairly high budget extremly well produced 25 episode series, with an extremly strong plot well characterized mythology, and just good performances all around-its a kind of sweet tale of someone trying to be human even if thats not quite true while trying to stop a very fendish orginzation.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.




And it has one of my favorite character details ever in a show. As the main villian, is of course japenese-but he will randomly start talking in Perfect English(which he did on the show: And he will ineviatiably say "Fuck" in english which being a japenese show...is fine.

And i just love that.

The last episode i think like a lot of japenese stuff tries to up the drama in ways that don't really work which gives it maybe an okay ending... but Great show, well worth checking out on DVD if you don't have.



.
.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SCOTT R

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 May 2015 19:35 #41879 by five_red
Replied by five_red on topic Obscure superheroine movies
tarstarkas.net/2011/05/insee-payong/
diedangerdiediekill.blogspot.co.uk/2010/...ng-thailand-198.html

Insee Payong -- aka Proud Eagle

A 1980s Thai movie featuring rather violent female vigilante heroine in the same style as Batman. By day she works for the police, but by night she dons a mask and kills criminals. Based on an established male character called Red Eagle.


R5

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: SCOTT R

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • five_red
  • five_red's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
More
12 Sep 2015 05:42 #44142 by SCOTT R
Replied by SCOTT R on topic Obscure superheroine movies
It's Gamera, the flying turtle! And in this movie he co-stars with 3 smokin hot superchicks who have come to Earth to save us all from some giant alien weirdos!

The following user(s) said Thank You: five_red, Markiehoe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Sep 2015 22:15 #44149 by slim36
Replied by slim36 on topic Obscure superheroine movies
Wonder Woman - Knallerfrauen mit Martina Hill in SAT.1

A German TV comedy skit. I think the child is questioning how wonder woman compares to male superheroes and is left speechless
The following user(s) said Thank You: SCOTT R, TwiceOnThursdays

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Sep 2015 11:40 #44154 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Obscure superheroine movies
Been wanting to mention a movie here for awhile

Ophelia Learns to Swim.


This is another of the very low budget indie comedy superhero movie from 2002, that you can find on Netflix...and i think thats about it

Its about Ophelia a young woman about to get into a marriage she doesn't quite want but doesn't know how to deal with...and a life she doesn't know whats she wants..and a fear of swiming and...

then shes captured first by a witch then by a group of Superheroines, and learns her true power.



Make that sound exciting. Not reall,y Its a kind of funny movie,anchored by Julia Lee Whose an actress best known from a couple of guest spots on Buffy. This is a very low budget movie that doesn't have any real action until the climax-but the climax isn't bad, but i am not sure worth seeming out if your counting the strength feats.

What i find interesting about this movie is-this an explicitly feminist movie-everything is couched in female empowerment and her value as a woman in a patriarchy-but also very explicitly as a 70's feminism movie, which makes it intresting as there a number of characters who just seem..puzzled by women today. the Villains of the movie are young women who have careers lives etc...but don't call themselves feminists, even if they owe it to women who comes before it. Its an intresting perspective, that i don't think is right..but i can respect. .

Its not a great movie. i am not sure a good movie... but i am glad it exists.

And..its an obscure
The following user(s) said Thank You: SCOTT R

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Feb 2016 09:09 #46609 by SCOTT R
Replied by SCOTT R on topic Obscure superheroine movies
PRINCESS WARRIOR....More Superchicks from outerspace!!!


The following user(s) said Thank You: five_red, Markiehoe, magicalerotica

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Feb 2016 09:13 #46610 by SCOTT R
Replied by SCOTT R on topic Obscure superheroine movies
And even more Superchicks from outerspace!


The following user(s) said Thank You: five_red, Markiehoe, magicalerotica

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Dec 2016 22:30 #51780 by SCOTT R
Replied by SCOTT R on topic Obscure superheroine movies
And believe it or not, yet even more superchicks in outerspace!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Sep 2018 13:03 #60939 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Obscure superheroine movies
Had a great time revisiting this thread!
Some of the links are broken but that is to be expected.

Let's see if we can start it going again.

I give you Safety Woman.
Crossing Guard/ Superheroine.
She helps children cross the street and navigate the Death Machine known as daily life.


www.bionicdisco.com/2013/09/03/school-mo...r-out-of-doors-1978/

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: MisterK, SCOTT R, five_red, aguilauno

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Markiehoe
  • Markiehoe's Avatar
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
05 Sep 2018 11:19 #60958 by SCOTT R
Replied by SCOTT R on topic Obscure superheroine movies
Outstanding find Markiehoe!

As an aside, for fans of Invasion Of The Star Creatures, the entire uncut movie can be purchased from Amazon for download and it's in great quality too!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Sep 2018 11:30 #61001 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Obscure superheroine movies
How about the Batlady from Artists and Models 1955





Shirley Mclane just might be the very first Superheroine in costume portrayed on film

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: SCOTT R, five_red, Agent00Soul, Monty

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Markiehoe
  • Markiehoe's Avatar
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
07 Sep 2018 11:34 #61002 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Obscure superheroine movies
Oh god, I remember catching a few glimpses of that movie on TV... like three lifetimes ago.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Sep 2018 13:01 - 17 Sep 2018 13:02 #61180 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Obscure superheroine movies
Big Boob Squad: Sexy Rangers
Imagine the Power rangers but they are all the Pink Ranger
www.imdb.com/title/tt2870404/




The Squad get their power from PAI energy stored in their boobs.
They are totally self aware of this.

This is a sexy PG 13 movie and guess what...the gals actually win.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 17 Sep 2018 13:02 by Markiehoe. Reason: editting
The following user(s) said Thank You: SCOTT R, Agent00Soul, TwiceOnThursdays

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Markiehoe
  • Markiehoe's Avatar
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
17 Sep 2018 14:32 #61181 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Obscure superheroine movies

Markiehoe wrote: Big Boob Squad: Sexy Rangers
Imagine the Power rangers but they are all the Pink Ranger


In the recent Shattered Grid arc of the Power Rangers comics we got a few fighting scenes featuring all-girls teams from various eras of the franchise.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Sep 2018 14:36 #61281 by MisterK
Replied by MisterK on topic Obscure superheroine movies
Wait. Was she ever my crossing guard? No.? (It DOES remind  me of the kind of film we used to watch in school circa 1978.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Sep 2018 15:30 - 19 Sep 2018 15:41 #61285 by five_red
Replied by five_red on topic Obscure superheroine movies

Markiehoe wrote: Had a great time revisiting this thread!
Some of the links are broken but that is to be expected.


What's funny is that, looking back over my earliest entries from a few years ago, many of the 'obscure' tv shows I listed then, I now have complete runs of...



好き! すき!! 魔女先生 (aka We Love You! We Love You!! Witch Teacher)
魔法少女ちゅうかなぱいぱい! (aka Magical Chinese Girl Pai Pai!)
魔法少女ちゅうかないぱねま! (aka Magical Chinese Girl Ipanema!)
美少女仮面ポワトリン (aka The Masked Belle Poitrine / La Belle Fille Masquée Poitrine)
不思議少女ナイルなトトメス  (aka Mysterious Nile Girl Thutmose)
うたう!大龍宮城 (aka Sing! Great Ryugujo)
有言実行三姉妹シュシュトリアン (aka Yugen Jikkou Sisters Shushutorian)
美少女戦麗舞(セレブ)パンシャーヌ~奥様はスーパーヒロイン! (aka Socialite Belle Panchanne: The Wife Is a Superheroine!)

R5
Last edit: 19 Sep 2018 15:41 by five_red.
The following user(s) said Thank You: algae2k, Markiehoe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • five_red
  • five_red's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
More
06 Dec 2018 14:51 #62238 by five_red
Replied by five_red on topic Obscure superheroine movies
Here's my hit list of shows and movies that are (for now) frustratingly out of reach. Most of them are from the Philippines., Feel free to share your own:
  • Darna (2005) -- the Angel Locsin tv version of the popular Filipino superheroine has only been available in fragmented form outside of its country of origin. Available episodes are largely thanks to the efforts of one superheroine fan, Fonzie (aka mercblue22), who arranged for a handful of the episodes to be shipped over to the US. Sadly the optical discs his episodes were on warped, so many are now distorted. It is known that some Filipino fans have complete runs of the series (all 170 episodes) on old VHS cassettes, a format that deteriorates over time, but given the state of television technology in the region it is unlikely that they'll be digitised any time soon. Our best hope is that the GMA network is able (rights, etc.) and willing to upload the series to its new YouTube box-set service, perhaps when the new Darna movie is released.
  • Wander Woman Si Ako -- Maria Teresa Carlson plays a spoof version of Wonder Woman (complete with costume), in a 1980 movie that was almost certainly inspired by the Lynda Carter series.
  • Komiks Presents: Varga -- this 13 episode series, made in 2008, starred Mariel Rodriguez as a princess from a doomed planet, whose spirit lands on Earth and merges with an Earth girl to become a superheroine. Although her origin resembles the Binder and PAD Supergirls rolled into one, Varga was actually created by the same man behind Darna (Mars Ravelo) in 1947.
  • Babaing Kidlat -- 1975 Filipino superheroine movie, translates as "Lighting Girl".
  • Fantastika vs Wonderwoman -- rare pinoy superheroine 1976 movie.
  • Otasuke Girl -- Japanese 2003 series, 6 episodes in total, about three college girls who investigate crime, one of whom (of course!) is secretly a superheroine, who appears whenever they get into trouble.
  • Super Klenk -- 1999 Filipino comedy tv show, 13 episodes in total. about a mild mannered school teacher who is also a superheroine. Famously there's so little information about this show online that it has become the stuff of legend.
What about you? Which movies or tv shows are you most annoyed at not having in your collection?


R5
The following user(s) said Thank You: SHTL, SCOTT R, Markiehoe, kikass2014

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • five_red
  • five_red's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
More
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds