Amount

Book Reviews

24 Dec 2009 07:53 #17825 by oldHarmonyMotion
Book Reviews was created by oldHarmonyMotion
There was a thread a while ago about books in print with some superwomen content. I can't remember which subforum it's in, so I've just decided to post here.

I just wanted to share some of my impressions on a few books that I've read. Most of these I purchased for under a dollar on amazon. The shipping was more expensive than the books themselves.

1. Super 16 by Jax Abbott

A real tweener book. I had heard that it was, but I didn't realize just how much so. It seems way over the top in terms of girl ditziness, but what do I know, I was never a teenage girl.

Some of the more notable scenes are holding up a car while her boyfriend changes a tire, and smashing a steering wheel into the dashboard.

I don't really recommend this book, but for 1 cent, you can't really go wrong.

2. Superpowers by David Schwartz

5 college kids gain superpowers mysteriously. The cast is 3 girls, one with super strength, one with flying, one who can go invisible, and 2 guys, (a telepath, and a superspeed.)

I don't really remember any notable power scenes.

The story is about the kids' moral decision of what to do with their powers, how they cope with their lives, and how they react to 9/11.

I wouldn't recommend this book... I think it tried to tell a more realistic superhero story, with characters who make wrong choices, the loss and support of loved ones, etc, but it just bored me.

3. The Plutonium Blonde by John Zakour and Lawrence Ganem

Zachary Nixon Johnson is the last Private Investigator in the not too distant future. He's a minor celebrity, and he gets called to investigate a super powerful android. With the help of his snarky supercomputer, he avoids repeated attempts on his life, solves the mystery, and throws in nice one liners to go with it.

The story doesn't have too much superwomen content in it. There is a wrestling match with a woman who has superior strength, speed, and reflexes, and there's a girl with mind control and telepathy. Actually, from what I can tell, the women in his stories are always powerful in some way.

I LOVE THIS BOOK! Despite the lack of our favorite content, the book is extremely funny, the story is enjoyable, the characters memorable, and most of all, it's a quick read. I enjoy stories that don't overstay their welcome, and this book delivers. I haven't read any of the old detective stories or watched too much noir, but I feel that this book is a throwback to that era, mixed in with super powerful women.

I highly recommend this book. I'm reading the rest of the books in the series now.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• oldHarmonyMotion
  • oldHarmonyMotion's Avatar Topic Author
More
26 Dec 2009 10:57 #17839 by oldHarmonyMotion
Replied by oldHarmonyMotion on topic Re: Book Reviews
The Doomsday Brunette by John Zakour and Lawrence Ganem

This story definitely has more of what we're looking for. In fact, it feels likes something straight out of the AU!

As usual, the humor is great and the storytelling is awesome.

The Radioactive Redhead by John Zakour and Lawrence Ganem

Nothing in terms of superwomen, but probably the most character development with some good emotional scenes. I actually recommend this book the most despite the lack of superwomen content, but I feel you'd have to read the first two before reading this one.

Will definitely keep an eye out at used bookstores for the rest of this series.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• oldHarmonyMotion
  • oldHarmonyMotion's Avatar Topic Author
More
Time to create page: 0.043 seconds