Amount

What's on my IPOD?

21 Feb 2005 00:05 #175 by Sarge395
What's on my IPOD? was created by Sarge395
Ok, I actually don't own an IPOD but a have a ton of MP3's and CD's. Probably own about 200 CD's.

Probably have about 80GB of MP3's. Got them at lanparties and while I was deployed in Uzbekistan. A lot of stuff was shared informally on our military server. Half of which I just deleted. The other half I listen to only when I'm away from home or on duty.

My owned CD's consist of a pretty wide variety. Everything from the Violent Femmes, Bach, Jane's Addiction to U2, Dave Matthews Band, and the Bodeans. I will buy good CD's with a proven history. Prefer that over MP3's which tend towards low quality.

My buddy uses iTunes a lot along with his IPOD. He has the car adapter as well. Sounds pretty sweet. Only thing I have against it is that you can't easily back up your music on an IPOD. Or maybe I'm wrong on that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Sarge395
  • Sarge395's Avatar Topic Author
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
21 Feb 2005 03:09 #179 by angels
Replied by angels on topic Re: What's on my IPOD?
I have an ipod and i can't imagine how I had gone so long without one. I spend a majority of my day on campus, which is a good 3 blocks from my apartment. Between lots of sitting time, walking time, or library time, it comes in handy. What I love is having every song I could possibly imagine wanting to hear out of my collection in my coat pocket and it's easier to manage than a discman and 150 cds in wallets (that have a tendency to get scratched over time). For the long trips home (I live about 3 hours from my school) or even to and from work, a $35 FM adapter comes in real handy, and I don't have to worry about anyone jacking my cd player and all my cds from my car anymore (which is an easy possibility in this town).

When you mention "backup", I have two backups actually. Every single song I own is on my school computer, which makes things incredibly efficient and quick when transferring in and out songs to the ipod. However, I also have hard copies of everything as well, as you can never be sure when you might get your HD wiped or even want to loan an album to a friend. What I owned pre-ipod are sitting in their cases on a shelf at home and not taking up valuable college-apartment (read: very small) space. What I owned post-ipod (read: downloaded from the school server or torrents) is burned to mp3 discs/dvd-r discs so I don't lose them in case of emergency. It sounds like a lot of work just to keep track of your music, but as a music major and self-diagnosed music-addict, I can't imagine losing any of this collection.

That's my $0.02 on ipods. If you're not sold on laying down the bread for one of the 40gb or even not an apple fan at all, I'd at least recommend a smaller space capacity and see how you like it. It hooked me REAL quick.

:)

More
24 Feb 2005 01:21 #251 by Sarge395
Replied by Sarge395 on topic Thanks for the ipod update
I may get a 20GB Rio or something different. I'm also a backup nut. Between my roommate and I we have about 2 terabytes of storage. 1 tb of that is backup. Probably overkill but it is cheap to buy 250 GB HD's.

Only stuff I really can't stand is hard rap and country music.

• Sarge395
  • Sarge395's Avatar Topic Author
More
28 Feb 2005 16:25 #323 by conceptfan
Replied by conceptfan on topic Re: What's on my IPOD?
Mine's an iRiver 20GB. It also records - very handy for me and functions as a USB external drive too. None of that iPod nonsense of having to install software or tag files correctly - they just go into the machine in directory structure with filenames. Lovely. I'd recommend one for anyone who's got the money and thinking about spending it on a hard-disk personal stereo.

I've got well over 250 CDs of audio on it and with 2.5hrs worth of commuting a day (a large chunk of which is on foot) I'd hate to be without it. I used to carry around a pocket full of minidiscs....

Just one question. Does anyone ever use the shuffle function on these things? I mean, I listen to what I'm in the mood for (usually fast and loud). Do other people have "random" moods?

More
28 Feb 2005 18:44 #324 by angels
Replied by angels on topic Re: What's on my IPOD?
For the most part I'm always on "random" mode, only because I set a playlist of my favorite songs and just leave it on shuffle, that way I don't have to go through a whole album at a time listening or randomly hit a hidden track or junk file or something. I have everything on there for long trips or to dig through in case I want to hear something obscure but for the most part, I'm always skimming through my favorites.

I also wish I had held off for an iRiver.

More
Time to create page: 0.050 seconds