Amount

What superheroine titles are worth picking up?

03 Oct 2009 18:21 #16896 by argonaut
Is anyone following Supergirl, Power Girl, Wonder Woman, Ms. Marvel, or any other comics featuring super-heroines (or super-villainesses)? Any recommendations?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• argonaut
  • argonaut's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
03 Oct 2009 19:52 #16904 by Newshound
There was one I saw in the early 1990s called the "Southern Knights" featuring 4 super heroes based in Atlanta.

One of them was a pretty, young blonde whose super power was being "really strong" (her words). She was strong enough to lift a forklift over her head and throw it and able to break down steel doors.

She eschewed any flamboyant costume or mask. She simply wore gym shorts and Clemson T shirts. She was drawn in a style reminiscent of a Heather Locklear.

I haven't had much luck finding any pictures of her posted on the web :(

More
03 Oct 2009 20:41 #16905 by argonaut
Well, I was wondering about current titles, but hey -- I'm happy to talk about older comics, too.

Nice to see that someone else remembers The Southern Knights. The girl's name was Kristin Austin ("petite -- but endowed with incredible strength!")

The series went through a number of artists, but I believe the one who stayed the longest was Mark Propst. Mark was once a guest at what was then my local comic-book shop, and I bought a nice drawing of Kristin from him. Newshound, if you'll send me a private message with your email address, I'll send you a scan of the drawing.

• argonaut
  • argonaut's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
03 Oct 2009 20:50 #16906 by Newshound
Thanks! I'll send a PM :D

More
04 Oct 2009 17:19 #16919 by Random321
Supergirl: I think supergirl is on her best streak ever ~ granted you have to buy all of the supertitles to follow her because she's integrated into the broader story so well. The art has been good. The stories have been good. The action has been good. I love all of the characters around her. Best buy in the genre right now IMHO.

Power Girl: Lfan turned me on to her ~ it's been solid so far. The art is a bit on the cartoon style ~ and I'm not 100% about the stories and if they will keep me entertained over the long haul ~ but there is a bunch of classic stuff in them ~ and it's very light with humor. If you like things on the light side it's worth the buy.

Wonder Woman: Not following can't say.

Ms Marvel: I like the art, the story is a bit convoluted but that's because I'm just getting back into it. The action is there and it's constant. It's worth the buy.

Batgirl: Is early in the run. So far i'm okay with it. Trying to get into the character and story. The art is good. Not much to say just yet. This month with #3 will be important on if I keep it up or not.

More
05 Oct 2009 11:36 #16927 by Lastleaf
Supergirl, especially since issue 34. Forget everything that went before that as they kind of retconned it all away which makes it all better. It is so good for Supergirl right now you can build a shrine to Sterling Gates and Jamal Igle. Everyone mostly agrees that even if Supegirl isn't tied to the other "super" books that the creative team will be able to handle her, show us what a supergirl is.

There are times that Supergirl is the best book on the Superman line, and considering how great Superman is right now that is saying alot.

More
05 Oct 2009 13:20 #16928 by lfan
Supergirl and Powergirl are both good reads for different reasons, IMO....PG is a little more whimsical, and while I don't really dig Amanda Conner's style, she conveys facial expressions in a cartoony way better than anybody in the biz. Anyone who read issue #4 and saw the "washing the cat" scene will know what I mean. Still laughing....

Supergirl is on a great run with the "Patriot Act / Thara / Superwoman" arc whichh is really good. Art is solid as well and more the style I personaly like.

Ms Marvel, like someone said, is a little convoluted, but I like the "Dark Ms Marvel" theme with Karla as Ms M. Cannot say I like the "painted art" style though.

Wonder Woman is a mythological mess, IMO. Its on my pull list but I dunno for how long.

Batgirl, I don't get....

Two other titles with "ubergirls" are Teen Titans and Dynamo 5. The later book is pretty good with great art from M. Asaud (sp?). Teen Titans, I think, is the best written book these days with a pretty good spotlight on Cassie of late. It kinda gets a little too "crowded" at times, but still is a great book.

My $.02
ElF

Supergirl, especially since issue 34. Forget everything that went before that as they kind of retconned it all away which makes it all better. It is so good for Supergirl right now you can build a shrine to Sterling Gates and Jamal Igle. Everyone mostly agrees that even if Supegirl isn't tied to the other "super" books that the creative team will be able to handle her, show us what a supergirl is.

There are times that Supergirl is the best book on the Superman line, and considering how great Superman is right now that is saying alot.

More
05 Oct 2009 20:28 #16932 by superfunk
Personally my favourite in these days is (Hail ) The Bomb Queen. Despite her main powers are not for our tastes, in recent volumes she gains some serious strength. As she said

"Why buy books with weak women in fake n*de spandex. Come on grow up buy my sh*t and get laid by a super villain who doesn't give a f**k" :D

Warning not for faint hearts

More
06 Oct 2009 03:56 #16936 by ace191
I really like Invincible and I think it is the best book on the market right now. And of course, story arcs with Atom Eve are my favorite. As you all know, I have a thing for really cute, red haired good Supergirls!

More
Time to create page: 0.053 seconds