Amount

Power Girl #26

29 Jul 2011 06:31 - 29 Jul 2011 06:35 #24148 by argonaut
Power Girl #26 was created by argonaut
POWER GIRL #26 features a story about a Power Girl convention, the abduction of a whole roomful of PG cosplayers, and a machine that can give its user PG's powers. The story is fairly predictable, and I wish the supporting characters had been given more personality, and from a "genre" standpoint a lot more could have been done with the premise -- but it was a fun read.

There's a cute joke at the end. The six-year-old PG fan is asked if she wants to be a superhero. "It sounds fun," she says. "And I hate wearing pants. If you're a superhero, you don't have to wear pants."

You can see the cover, and a few pages, here:

www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=9272

(Oddly, the blurb doesn't describe the story very closely.)

Sadly, this is the penultimate issue of this series. It will be a casualty of the relaunch, along with some of my other favorites: ZATANNA, JUSTICE SOCIETY OF AMERICA (No more Stargirl? No more Jesse Quick?), and THE SPIRIT (which has zero ubergirl content but is a terrific series).
Last edit: 29 Jul 2011 06:35 by argonaut.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• argonaut
  • argonaut's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
29 Jul 2011 22:45 #24154 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Re: Power Girl #26

argonaut wrote: Sadly, this is the penultimate issue of this series. It will be a casualty of the relaunch, along with some of my other favorites: ZATANNA, JUSTICE SOCIETY OF AMERICA (No more Stargirl? No more Jesse Quick?), and THE SPIRIT (which has zero ubergirl content but is a terrific series).

That's part of what I don't understand about this relaunch, in the last few years the DC was able to put together some good series from characters that nobody was ever able to write decently before and now they are closing all of them. I really can't see the logic.

More
30 Jul 2011 00:54 - 30 Jul 2011 00:54 #24156 by ChaozCloud
Replied by ChaozCloud on topic Re: Power Girl #26
Actually Power Girl #27 will be the last of the series before the relaunch. What I don't get is why the company continues to build current storylines and introducing new characters. Like the Teen Titans and Solstice. Why even bother if you're going to just scrap it all in a couple of months.
Last edit: 30 Jul 2011 00:54 by ChaozCloud.

More
30 Jul 2011 12:47 #24159 by jimbob
Replied by jimbob on topic Re: Power Girl #26
Could be they didn't get told about the cancel and reboot until it was too late to really change anything to wrap it up, and they're just following the original plan until the plug is pulled for lack of any other options.

Could be they (like many others) are expecting the reboot to fail horribly and be done with within a year and they're leaving it open in anticipation of picking up the plot lines later on.

Maybe they just don't care anymore? Who knows?

More
30 Jul 2011 13:57 #24160 by Woodclaw

ChaozCloud wrote: Actually Power Girl #27 will be the last of the series before the relaunch. What I don't get is why the company continues to build current storylines and introducing new characters. Like the Teen Titans and Solstice. Why even bother if you're going to just scrap it all in a couple of months.

This is one of the reasons that makes me suspect that the dreaded reboot is only a gigantic publicity stunt that will only last for some time (but it's just a hope) a sort of appendix to Flashpoint.

More
18 Aug 2011 05:43 #24449 by ChaozCloud
Replied by ChaozCloud on topic Re: Power Girl #26
I read PG #27 today and I must say I expected more from the last issue. Nothing special really happened and it felt bland.

More
18 Aug 2011 06:55 #24454 by argonaut
Replied by argonaut on topic Re: Power Girl #26
I haven't picked that up yet, but generally speaking, the DC titles haven't been going out with a bang. Some, like Superman and Justice Society, have wrapped up long-running story-lines; others, like Power Girl, have been filling out their runs with single-issue stories. But nothing like Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?

• argonaut
  • argonaut's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
18 Aug 2011 08:00 #24458 by inactive
Replied by inactive on topic Re: Power Girl #26

argonaut wrote: I haven't picked that up yet, but generally speaking, the DC titles haven't been going out with a bang. Some, like Superman and Justice Society, have wrapped up long-running story-lines; others, like Power Girl, have been filling out their runs with single-issue stories. But nothing like Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?

Yeah, it's all been kind of sad.

- GeekSeven

More
18 Aug 2011 14:39 #24461 by Woodclaw

argonaut wrote: I haven't picked that up yet, but generally speaking, the DC titles haven't been going out with a bang. Some, like Superman and Justice Society, have wrapped up long-running story-lines; others, like Power Girl, have been filling out their runs with single-issue stories. But nothing like Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?

That's because - in theory - the reboot shouldn't be a reboot at all, the continuity we've read so far should be still valid (I wonder how since they're chaanging so many characters). Personally I didn't expected any great story for the final issues, but the overall impression is that even the authors aren't convinced by this move and they're not putting any effort into it.

More
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds