Amount

Supergirl #1 2011

22 Sep 2011 05:30 #24841 by Random321
Supergirl #1 2011 was created by Random321
So - Supergirl #1 is out.

First let's be clear - this is a full reboot – this is not what I was lead to believe it would be by DC. They've dumped all the prior SG history and character development. This is scratch. So, if I can get over that – do I like it?

Page 5 where she is pulling herself up out of the dirt – I really like the art. The opening text is catchy.

Page 6 Pinup - She’s not the SG I know and love – but maybe I should give it a chance. Style – from waist up – I could deal with. Waist down – not so much – if at all.

Page 8 Most of the women I now would cut their bangs so fast if they were that annoying – but okay – I get it we are trying for a trendy hair style. I’m not a short hair fan – but I get it. I’m also not a chest guy but in this frame they make SG look a little un full in the chest. I guess they are trying to make sure we all know she’s young here. The “S” – hmm… I bet it’s easier to draw. I can handle that stylizing too I guess.

Page 13 bottom panel – she looks good. But wait – now she looks fuller in the chest – the artist must be having a hard time with the new rules if there is already slipping.

Next few pages – good action. I like the idea on the sunrise – I get what they are trying to do there. Awesome. The tunic however – let’s make up our minds folks – is this supposed to be more modest in a non-skirt kind of way – or are we going to do WW style thongs? Super wedgies are not so hot… [sarcasm] …maybe the skirt was not so bad after all. [/sarcasm]

Page 17 – bottom panel – that is the longest – most un natural looking upper leg I’ve ever seen.

Page 21 – Top panel – super schnoze/nose! Yikes!

Page 22-27 – is the art by someone else – or was it just rushed?

So – she isn’t acting full on evil – or bitchy – I’d expect anyone to react this way if they were “contained” – in fact I might not expect them to be so nice by asking “just tell me where I am.” I liked the “thinks she’s dreaming” idea.

So –
Story: A-
Not bad for a set up/origin/first arrival story (you should like it Lfan – even if it’s rather simple) We've not seen her fly yet.

Art: C
It’s average – some panels are great – some seem half baked.

Character Personality: B+
Not bad for an alien just landing on earth and getting powers. She's tough and hits back - but she seems to show some mercy too.

Uniform and Look: C-
Is she young or mature in build? Are we trying to be more modest with no risk of fan boy up skirt shots or is she a skank with a thong tunic and a crazy high side cut? How would those boots stay on? Let’s get the hair out of her eyes and grow it out 3-6 inches.

It’s worth $2.99 but it should be better. It’s not my vision of Supergirl – but maybe it’s closer in character than I’ve seen in a while. I’m ready to be disappointed. Good job with the sales gimmick DC.
The following user(s) said Thank You: inactive

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Random321
  • Random321's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
22 Sep 2011 12:49 #24842 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Re: Supergirl #1 2011
Just downloaded and read my copy...agree it's good, but it was only when I saw the preview a couple of days ago did I realize it was a total reboot.

I was kind of prepared for that after seeing the Legion #1.

I like the idea that she remembers walking with her friend on Krypton, and seemingly the next moment she's fighting flying robots in a blizzard on a different planet. She's burning things with her eyes, discovering super strength and surviving blasts that should have killed her. She doesn't understand how she's kicking those robots around (which she discovers have people in them), but they are no match for Kryptonian powers.

Also trying to communcate, but she only knows Kryptonian.

She's not evil or bad, but horribly disoriented and has no idea where her new powers are coming from as she rips the robots apart.

I would pretty much rank it as Random did. Hope the art improves. Lots of potential for interesting story lines with this start.

Lastly, I don't like the new outfit either. I've always been a fan of micro-miniskirts on SG, although I adjusted to the hot pants back in the 70's. A skintight top that covers her abs (which are shown wickedly defined in a couple of panels) is OK. She's got muscles. Boots are silly, but I understand them trying to reinvent the character and a new costume helps with that.

I'll keep reading it.

Shadar

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
22 Sep 2011 13:34 #24843 by dr lazarus
Replied by dr lazarus on topic Re: Supergirl #1 2011
I just downloaded the digital version too, my first one (I actually did this because I thought maybe I could download the pages and share them with you guys :whistle:). I haven't bought a comic in quite some time, but I seem to recall them as having a bit more pages, though this could be because the digital version doesn't have any ads(?), though there was an ad for Hot Wheels — that's one that hasn't changed. :lol: I don't feel qualified to rate it because I'm not really a big comic book reader, but I thought it was decent and I'm looking forward to the next issue.

Ursa. Her time has come.
www.facebook.com/UrsaFans

More
22 Sep 2011 22:40 #24844 by ChaozCloud
Replied by ChaozCloud on topic Re: Supergirl #1 2011
I liked it more than Wonder Woman. That's all I'm saying.

More
23 Sep 2011 01:42 #24846 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Re: Supergirl #1 2011
I thought it was pretty good...like Shadar said, I liked the way they dealt with her "discovering" she was on Earth and kinda shocked at her powers. It's been done countless times before, but this was a pretty good take both from a writing and layout perspective.

Art wasn't too bad...very distinct styling of Asaud (sp?) and reminiscient of his work on Dynamo 5 in terms of drawing an "ubergirl". I liked her atletic build but the costume is dreadful, which begs the question of is she just "woke up", did she goto sleep in that outfit??

ElF

More
23 Sep 2011 13:25 #24847 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Re: Supergirl #1 2011
She thought something early on about getting in trouble with her mother for wearing the costume (uniform?) given she wasn't entitled to wear it until she graduated in a year...if she did graduate at all.

That went over my head completely.

Anyone know anything in Kryptonian lore that would explain this?

(My Velorian Protectors in the AU weren't allowed to wear their uniforms until they graduated from a special training program on a moon of Velor (it was a major crime to impersonate a Protector), but that's my universe, not DC's.)

Shadar

• shadar
More
23 Sep 2011 14:16 #24848 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Re: Supergirl #1 2011
I've just read this volume and the result is something of a mixed bag for me.

Aside from costune issues, the design isn't bad, but it isn't spectacular either. Supergirl looks a bit half-developed, but this fits her being a teenager instead of a young woman. The rest of the art is adequate with some spectacular bit and some awful bits.
I can't really comment about the story since there isn't much, we get some hints from SG stream of consciuosness and the fighting sequence works, but there's not enough to chew at this point. It fits the whole "people don't like supers" theme common to this new universe and looks interesting but there's enough material to elaborate.

More
Time to create page: 0.050 seconds