Amount

Peter David writing about Supergirl's history

29 May 2013 03:32 #31747 by shadar
Interesting article written by Peter David, the writer of one of the least traditional runs of the Supergirl comic.

Peter was by far the most talented writer to ever work on Supergirl, in my opinion. I didn't always like where he was taking the character, being a traditionalist fan of Supergirl and all, but nobody has written her character better since him.

I was happy to see that he totally geeked out on the Man of Steel, Women of Kleenex thing, including looking at it from Kara's perspective. I've always thought the Kleenex argument made total sense.

Anyway, its an interesting read for Supergirl fan regardless what you think of Peter:

www.peterdavid.net/2013/05/27/the-history-of-supergirl/

Shadar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• shadar
  • shadar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
29 May 2013 04:44 #31748 by castor
Ludcricious argument of course, but intresting article.

The problem they seem to think is that the kryptonian stuff is what made superman special or unique that if his origin was special and privlaged he whould be a better character(and sell more without killing him or marrying him).

The truth is of course superman becomes less special when you put him next to Batman(perhaps especially when you put him next to Batman). Any hero next to another hero slightly dimishes the pair. The concept of the starpowered hero looses a little luster by the very idea of the DC Universe. How does green Lantern fit into all of this? Hawkman? how does any character really fit here.

Any character thats strong, fast, flying or even the ground makes the idea of superman less. hes not The superman, but a superman

But I do think he touches on a truth i hadn't thought of before: Supergirl in DC comics does tend to be either a female copy of Superman, or a female copy of Spiderman. There have been times they played around with it, or been a little of both but never very well.

I never read all of Peter Davids stuff-what i did never particuarly appealed to me. But then Spiderman never all that appealed to me(though that stuff goes back further then him). And it was spiderman frequently without the saving wit.

This is perhaps why i am a PowerGirl Fan myself. Theres something that DC comics did for a couple of years at least in making a character who did at least feel unique take on the werid idea. It wasn't the boobs, but the sence that she was that close to laughing at how silly it all was but couldn't becuse that whould somehow make it tragic

The irony of course they got to the series, the joke was that they didn't care anything for continuity any more

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
Time to create page: 0.040 seconds