Amount

New Ms. Marvel....umm......

18 Nov 2013 14:42 #34330 by The Highlander
Replied by The Highlander on topic New Ms. Marvel....umm......
Well this isn't Marvels' first female Islamic character, there's Sooraya Qadir (Dust) from the X-Man who is not only from Afghanistan but wears a niqāb.

As for this character, I think the success of failure of this series will depend on how good the writing is. If the stories are about a young girl learning how to use her powers to do good, how just happens to be a Muslim then it might have a chance. If they just play on racial and religious stereotypes then it's doomed. We will just have to wait and see.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Nov 2013 14:14 #34393 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic New Ms. Marvel....umm......
Nice rendition by Jeremy Roberts:

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: SCOTT R

• lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
10 Jan 2014 21:13 #35040 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic New Ms. Marvel....umm......
Release date isn't set till Feb 5th, but CBR just put up a preview of the art for the first issue (sans text):

www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=19756

ElF

• lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
10 Jan 2014 23:53 #35041 by castor
Replied by castor on topic New Ms. Marvel....umm......
From what i have seen there going for a " I am a teenage superhero" type vibe ala early Spiderman. Which could be fun. the muslim Elements look to be there version of "Parents don't understand it" type thing.

Okay. But its no Teenboat comics- the teenger who can turn into a small Yacht.

(the angst of being a teen.
the thrill of being a boat)

More
06 Feb 2015 21:48 #40280 by castor
Replied by castor on topic New Ms. Marvel....umm......
Intresting article.

www.avclub.com/article/one-year-later-ms...elt-far-beyon-214867

Not going to lie and say i have picked up every issue, but its by and large been a good read, that has handled some of the issues involved with a senativty and a light hand that works well with it. like a lot of stuff at modern marvels, Its perhaps at times a little to whimisical for its own good but its not bad.

And the article is right-at the very least i do get a sence that its been very influential to comics in the last year-which is a good thing.

Castor

More
07 Feb 2015 00:36 #40281 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic New Ms. Marvel....umm......
Ill recomend Ms. Marvel too.

And I agree it seems to have a fairly large shadow on the overall comics community.

In many ways I see her as a modern day Spider-Man, a la Amazing Fantasy #15, Think about what comics, and the lives of super heroes alter egos were like, then place in high school bad luck nerd Perter Parker. It was a revolution in comics.

Today, if you were to duplicate the feat, you need more than a simple high school kid. You have to make their world even more real, you need to go further afielld than another white male super hero.

In other words, you need someone like Kamala, someone who isn't like anyone else we've really seen in comics before, soeone with a rich home life, whose religion informs how she sees the world even if she doesn't seem very religious herself. I'm an athiest and I think the comic is fantastic on those grounds. It has humans instead of cut outs and tropes.

And the comic is fresh and fun. It's woth a look at least (the first few issues were really well done, and I'm contantly surprised, as mentioned in the article, when character you exprct to be one way, acknowlege that she's a young woman, and then start to treat her that way.

And her fangirling over wolverine was awsome/funny.
The following user(s) said Thank You: oldHarmonyMotion

More
Time to create page: 0.053 seconds