Amount

Respect the Green

02 Jun 2014 10:09 - 02 Jun 2014 10:15 #36700 by Woodclaw
Respect the Green was created by Woodclaw
My friend Eric Johnson recently brough this article to my attention (and this rather good response here ).

Now David Goyer is the writer of the upcoming sequel to Man of Steel and my worries-meter fired up again after reading this. If this is his opinion on She-Hulk, I dread what he may do to Wonder Woman. Also his joke about nerds not being laid is something that ... well, I can't honestly comment on.

Goyer was already infamous for saying that listening to comic-book fans while creating a comic-book based movie is a mistake , which does makes sense from a certain angle -- these movies are meant for a bigger audience -- but doesn't in almost every other -- you're alienating your primary fanbase.
Last edit: 02 Jun 2014 10:15 by Woodclaw. Reason: Missing links

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Woodclaw
  • Woodclaw's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
02 Jun 2014 12:23 #36703 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Respect the Green
We should be more worried from the fact that he is the same guy that wrote the Nick Fury telefilm that starred David Hasselhoff.

ElF

More
02 Jun 2014 22:40 #36709 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Respect the Green

Woodclaw wrote: My friend Eric Johnson recently brough this article to my attention (and this rather good response here ).

Now David Goyer is the writer of the upcoming sequel to Man of Steel and my worries-meter fired up again after reading this. If this is his opinion on She-Hulk, I dread what he may do to Wonder Woman. Also his joke about nerds not being laid is something that ... well, I can't honestly comment on.

Goyer was already infamous for saying that listening to comic-book fans while creating a comic-book based movie is a mistake , which does makes sense from a certain angle -- these movies are meant for a bigger audience -- but doesn't in almost every other -- you're alienating your primary fanbase.

Always great fun to read/watch comic book fan blogs... thanks for the two links. I don't linger over there because they get WAY too serious about stuff.

Regarding Goyer, one of the maddening things in life is that the people who are experts in a subject rarely get jobs defining or writing stuff about those subjects. Goyer is a creative mind, but not a reliably interesting one and he's only moderately proficient at comics geekdom. As others have noted, he sometimes misfires. But not always. I actually liked a lot of Goyer's writing on Man of Steel, but of course I don't see eye to eye with him on a number of points. But he's wildly creative and sometimes he goes places I wouldn't have thought of going -- and that's good. Very good. (And sometimes bad. Very bad.)

I much prefer the imagination and writing that comes out of Josh Whedon. In comparison, Goyer is a madman.

Still, I'm looking forward to MOS2 (or whatever its called), and not just for WW, but to see Goyer try to get her to team up with Batman and Supes. That's really hard to write in a way that will appeal to a mass audience, but also not piss off the fans. More than hard. Impossible. So given that I'm a middling comic fan at best, lower quadrille when it comes to fanboyism, but I love anything that pushes comic-type characters into a SF universe (as opposed to the classic comic book universe).

That's what the original thinking was for the AU, whether realized or not by me. (Brantley has done it.)

So I say, bring it on. Piss off the fanboys but create something that hangs together in a SF universe and is exciting and filled with 'super-action'. So what if the characters' portrayals piss off the geeks. Just make the story in the movie hang together please. After all, comic book characters get redefined continuously. I want to see what Goyer can do with it.

(Although I lament it's not Josh Whedon writing it. Firefly warped my brain. Good thing. And Firefly with a Velorian-grade-powered Inara -- that might explode my brain. But I digress...)

Shadar

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
08 Jun 2014 11:04 #36786 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Respect the Green
You know that thing can only get interesting when the Stan replies to a comment . :laugh:

• Woodclaw
  • Woodclaw's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
Time to create page: 0.069 seconds