Amount

Massive Changes For Captain Marvel, After Secret Wars

11 Jun 2015 19:05 #42730 by lfan
But apparently -- and unfortunately -- it doesn't sound like the costume is one of them:

www.bleedingcool.com/2015/06/11/massive-...&utm_medium=facebook

ElF

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
11 Jun 2015 19:35 #42731 by Markiehoe
I hated that costume since the day it was revealed.
So boring.

More
11 Jun 2015 20:10 #42732 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Massive Changes For Captain Marvel, After Secret Wars
I've grown to not hate the costume. I still don't know if like it, but I don't hate it. Changing her hairstyle went a long way to making me like it better. But the bad hair comes back out with the helmut. I just really don't like it.

(Though I like the new Batgirl and Spider-Woman outfits, and absolutely hate the WW redesign)

I'm still a huge fan of her last costume (back w/ lightning bolt).

I find Markiehoe's comment interesting. While I not a huge fan of her current costume, "boring" isn't a word I'd use to describe it.

More
11 Jun 2015 21:02 #42734 by castor
The probable anwser is there not going to do any major changes to the costume till after the movie comes out-everything about the new suit (and even the new name) says- hey we want something we can easily addopt to a marvel universe style suit- and as that...it may look better. the "just the basic body suit" look that markiehoe says looks borring i think looks better in actual fabric a lot of the time then on the page. there tricks you can do, and lets face it three dimensions to add everything.

That said its quite possible that when they do the movie they may change it around just to fuck with things. Cause marvel comics and marvel studio are diffrent things.

More
11 Jun 2015 21:43 #42735 by Markiehoe
Captain Marvel's costume is just a basic bodysuit with a sash and a stylized Wonder Woman logo on her chest.
In comics you can literally do anything.
It might be the most Politically Correct Superheroine costume ever created.
There is no forward thinking design at all.
It's like the it was done by committee.
Or by an artist at the last minute.
I think Castor is right.
They are sticking with this easy to realize design for a future movie.

Look at what the gang at Super Cher Noble are doing with a real world costume.
Asymetrical design, neat play with colors and at least one interesting and standout accessory.
Now there is some forward design.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, SCOTT R

More
12 Jun 2015 01:33 #42738 by inactive
After being dubious at first, I now think the new costume is great. It's sleek and sexy, but more appropriate to the character and it has widened the character's appeal. I don't think we would have the movie without it.

I will always have a fond place for Ms. Marvel and her fan service, but Captain Marvel has captured my heart.

- GeekSeven

More
12 Jun 2015 03:03 #42739 by lfan

geekseven wrote: After being dubious at first, I now think the new costume is great. It's sleek and sexy, but more appropriate to the character and it has widened the character's appeal. I don't think we would have the movie without it.

I will always have a fond place for Ms. Marvel and her fan service, but Captain Marvel has captured my heart.

It's very movie-centric, but I gotta say I really dislike it, especially when she's wearing that stupid friggin helmet. Functional and realistic? Maybe so, but it's definitely made my interest in the character wane since the reboot...

ElF
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

• lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
12 Jun 2015 04:06 #42740 by erikphandel
I kinda like the new costume. I mean, I miss this swimsuit, but I like the simplicity and funcionality of the new one. And let's face it, not every superhero has to be fanservice-ish. Things like that are bound to happen more frequently with the popularization of feminism. Look at Starfire, her costume is getting less exposed skin, and I think it will only get worse. Things are just like that nowadays :c

All the new superheroines of this generation have no skin exposed (Ms. Marvel, Equinox, etc). Nothing wrong with that in theory, but I think it's kinda exagerated. Women often dress with exposed skin. And it's not like every male superhero ever walks around in ultra-tight outfits that show 100% of their abs and butts ALL THE TIME

More
12 Jun 2015 07:16 #42741 by natashablasick
Replied by natashablasick on topic Massive Changes For Captain Marvel, After Secret Wars

Look at what the gang at Super Cher Noble are doing with a real world costume.
Asymetrical design, neat play with colors and at least one interesting and standout accessory.
Now there is some forward design.

Thank you for your sweet words, Markiehoe. It's been a real journey creating an original costume. Still trying to find the perfect boots to customize.

I don't want to hijack the thread here, tho. I looked at the Captain Marvel pics, and I see where they're going with it. I admire the direction but I don't think it's my personal taste. It's too rough for me. I wouldn't want to be that heroine. I want to play strong and feminine. I don't think you have to choose one or the other.

xoxo
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, Markiehoe

• natashablasick
  • Content Creator
  • Content Creator
More
12 Jun 2015 16:41 #42743 by inactive
I would argue that a skintight leather catsuit, even with a fancy color scheme and a sash is still feminine.

If you disagree, then Diana Rigg circa 1965 would like a word.

Strength and femininity are not a binary choice, IMO.

- GeekSeven

More
12 Jun 2015 20:22 - 12 Jun 2015 20:30 #42750 by AuGoose
The basic skin suit is a staple. Its one of the fundamental building blocks of comic because under all the detailing the fact remains the artists have to draw 28 pages a month and that means most characters are basic exercises in anatomy sketching. Tons of characters do great work in basic patterns of color and detailing laid over it.

The problem here is the Carol Danvers suit in question is also one of the UGLIEST skinsuits ever to see repeated use. its an eye sore. It is literally the least appealing outfit she's EVER worn -- probably because the patterning was designed for a guy (and has viciously clashing colors). Its bad enough that honestly I'll skip the movie at the theater and get the DVD if they don't design something better. Any Hollywood costume shop ought to be able to churn out something better over a single lunch break.

Heres a thread in Marvel Heroes 2015 (the Marvel MMO) with pics of most of her outfits over the years

forums.marvelheroes.com/discussion/3373/...suggestion-thread/p1

Blue bodysuit, red gloves, red boots, gold trim, buncha noise on the chest... weird, I think I've seen a flying brick in that get up before... Oh, Hi Clark!
Last edit: 12 Jun 2015 20:30 by AuGoose.

More
12 Jun 2015 21:38 #42761 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Massive Changes For Captain Marvel, After Secret Wars

AuGoose wrote: The basic skin suit is a staple. Its one of the fundamental building blocks of comic because under all the detailing the fact remains the artists have to draw 28 pages a month and that means most characters are basic exercises in anatomy sketching. Tons of characters do great work in basic patterns of color and detailing laid over it.

The problem here is the Carol Danvers suit in question is also one of the UGLIEST skinsuits ever to see repeated use. its an eye sore. It is literally the least appealing outfit she's EVER worn -- probably because the patterning was designed for a guy (and has viciously clashing colors). Its bad enough that honestly I'll skip the movie at the theater and get the DVD if they don't design something better. Any Hollywood costume shop ought to be able to churn out something better over a single lunch break.

Heres a thread in Marvel Heroes 2015 (the Marvel MMO) with pics of most of her outfits over the years

forums.marvelheroes.com/discussion/3373/...suggestion-thread/p1

Blue bodysuit, red gloves, red boots, gold trim, buncha noise on the chest... weird, I think I've seen a flying brick in that get up before... Oh, Hi Clark!

I think you're really stretching with the comparison to superman's costume. I can tell you were going off the rails, I mean we all know Superman doesn't wear gloves. (no cape, blue/red are different shades, sash, flow of uniform completely different). I get that you don't like it, but perhaps a bit of reality might be good?

Her out fit looks military, including the yellow pin striping . I don't think this means "made for a man". For one, men generally do not wear sashes off one hip. Take a look at Captain Marvel (DC) or Black Adam for examples (horizontal across the waist).

You can however, look at previous Captain Marvels (the men who bore the name in the Marvel Universe) and see where the costume came from. I do think they took the "Captain" -> military cue a bit too much, and then mixed in "Kree Military" (so it doesn't look like any Earth Uniform). (And I think they oversold the Kree link too. Her current powers come from Brood Genetic manipulation)

And yes, the clashing colors are a bit much, but it is part of the point I think. That doesn't seem to be upsetting many women, Kamala Khan takes similar notes on her costume's color scheme, and most women seem to love it (and, it REALLY fits her character).

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of her black outfit with the yellow lightning bolt -- but I grown to not mind her current one. I also think it's part of the reason she's more popular now and getting a movie. It helps to see it drawn great artists like Terry Dodson (etc). He's a good artist for her costume, as he draws very fit toned women, and I think that helps carry the costume well.

Oh, and I mention again: The helmut is stupid. Which is why you'll rarely see her wearing it.

More
12 Jun 2015 22:32 #42762 by jimbob
I wouldn't worry about the helmet. If she does have it in the film it will be knocked off immediately so all the dramatic fight scenes show the actress's face, just like it always happens to Captain America (Iron man gets a pass because they can show RDJ's face inside the helmet)

As far as the costume change, I do believe it's for film purposes, but I don't think it's because they think the costume looks bad, or because women will complain. I think it's simply for practicality of filming, for safety reasons (So the actress's legs aren't constantly exposed during action scenes) and so they can better make her look the part, because it's unlikely the actress found will have the inhumanly perfect figure of a comic book heroine.

More
13 Jun 2015 00:10 - 13 Jun 2015 00:16 #42763 by AuGoose

TwiceOnThursdays wrote: I think you're really stretching with the comparison to superman's costume. I can tell you were going off the rails, I mean we all know Superman doesn't wear gloves. (no cape, blue/red are different shades, sash, flow of uniform completely different). I get that you don't like it, but perhaps a bit of reality might be good?

You're right. I'm thinking of the Superwoman variants that wear gloves. Let me rephrase - when a Kryptonian in a blue suit has gloves, those gloves are red. :)

I don't think this means "made for a man". For one, men generally do not wear sashes off one hip. Take a look at Captain Marvel (DC) or Black Adam for examples (horizontal across the waist).

Its color flipped, but the pattern was absolutely made for a man.

We'll see what comes of it. The Marvel Studios Costume shop has consistently dumped or painted over some of the most "iconic" comic costumes to produce NEW looks that are much more appealing on the big screen. I think they're starting in a hole when it comes to this one, but they've dug their way out before.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 13 Jun 2015 00:16 by AuGoose.

More
13 Jun 2015 00:31 #42764 by AuGoose
I'd be perfectly happy with something derived from her Warbird costume.

But really, nothing tops the original (and really the red suit's not bad).

This message has attachments images.

More
13 Jun 2015 00:55 #42765 by TwiceOnThursdays

AuGoose wrote:

TwiceOnThursdays wrote: I think you're really stretching with the comparison to superman's costume. I can tell you were going off the rails, I mean we all know Superman doesn't wear gloves. (no cape, blue/red are different shades, sash, flow of uniform completely different). I get that you don't like it, but perhaps a bit of reality might be good?

You're right. I'm thinking of the Superwoman variants that wear gloves. Let me rephrase - when a Kryptonian in a blue suit has gloves, those gloves are red. :)

I don't think this means "made for a man". For one, men generally do not wear sashes off one hip. Take a look at Captain Marvel (DC) or Black Adam for examples (horizontal across the waist).

Its color flipped, but the pattern was absolutely made for a man.

We'll see what comes of it. The Marvel Studios Costume shop has consistently dumped or painted over some of the most "iconic" comic costumes to produce NEW looks that are much more appealing on the big screen. I think they're starting in a hole when it comes to this one, but they've dug their way out before.

I still say you are grasping at straws. And you even know that, as you posted the real inspiration for the design: Captain Marvel (and you can argue transitive effects as his design was inspired by Supes, etc, but really grasping at straws). I get that you are passionate about it (etc), but come on, give it up. ;-) No shame, you don't like it and you were on a roll. Happens to everyone.

Also, maybe you noticed how I referenced that her uniform is patterned off the previous Captain Marvels? So posting a picture of Captain Marvel's outfit scuttles your Superman argument, and adds a data point for "Designed for a man"....except note that it's not quite the previous Captain Marvel's uniform (and it's more than a color inversion). Ignore the sash if you want, but that's not a male element (it's a direct call back to her previous outfits too). A sash CAN be an element on a males costume (and I gave examples) but they aren't tied that way. This costume was put together to be put on a woman. ;-)

The other elements are, as I said military styling. Maybe that's only masculine to you, but it also ignores Carol's established backstory as serving in the military. (Though this is Kree styling, not human.)

I think you need to examine the area between "designed only for a woman" and "designed only for a man". This costume fits inside that area. It seems that you don't like a women's costumes to be outside the "only designed for a woman". (and, using the terms man/woman in that paragraph loosely, for "what american society expects men and women to wear.)

We have a wide variety of costumes, so really, I have no problems with Captain Marvel's being different. that doesn't mean that I don't have a fondness for her black costume.

You are welcome to your opinion (naturally). But it really does seem like you are starting with "I don't like it" and then attempting to find things to say to justify that when, "I don't like it" is good enough.

More
13 Jun 2015 01:05 #42766 by AuGoose
((shrug)) Fact remains I LOATHE that outfit (and I will NOT be the only one noticing the parallels of putting a blue and red flying brick on the big screen, pretty flowing sash or not). If that's how they want to play it that's their privilege, but they can play it without my ticket stub. Simple as that.

My hope lies with the costume shop.

More
13 Jun 2015 01:44 #42767 by TwiceOnThursdays

AuGoose wrote: I'd be perfectly happy with something derived from her Warbird costume.

But really, nothing tops the original (and really the red suit's not bad).

We REALLY don't agree. The warbird costume is ugly (that vest!). It's not the worst costume that the 90's produced though. I will admit, it would fit in with the MCU costume design.

But, you call her current costume "designed for a man" and throw out her warbird costume? I guess making a tac vest a half shirt makes it designed for a woman or something. She does look like a woman wearing it, because she's a hell of a woman. It wasn't really designed for one though (and that was the point, it looks like something a _person_ on a tac squad would wear).

Also, I think you got messed up and referred to the wrong outfit as "the original" (No one in the picture is dressed in her original outfit.) But I'm pretty sure you know this already, and are just getting riled up for some reason and are making mistakes. I disagree with you, no reason to get upset.

The black one is her best outfit though, I have a real fondness for it myself. (And I can date myself by saying that I bought Ms. Marvel #1 off the stands, I've been a fan of hers for a long time. And I've loved the black costume since she put it on the first time and punched out giant talking lizards.)

AuGoose wrote: ((shrug)) Fact remains I LOATHE that outfit (and I will NOT be the only one noticing the parallels of putting a blue and red flying brick on the big screen, pretty flowing sash or not). If that's how they want to play it that's their privilege, but they can play it without my ticket stub. Simple as that.

My hope lies with the costume shop.

I think your opinion came through loud and clear. ;-) You aren't the only one who really doesn't like it. (It grew on me, over time.)

And we'll see when her movie is released what people say.

There is (hopefully) going to be much more to this movie than the costume, I hope that you make your choice on more than that. OTH, it IS your money and your time.

As I said, her outfit grew on me, i think i started liking it around the time they started to tweak the design. They fixed her hair, and ditched the helmet. And had a good artist draw her. She's all woman here.

I'm enjoying Red One, and a good part is due to his art.

This message has an attachment image.

More
13 Jun 2015 01:53 #42768 by AuGoose
I obviously didn't make myself clear the first time around because you've quoted "made for a woman" out of the context I meant it in 3 times now (the shape of the fields of color on the chest - which deform when you apply them to breasts instead of pectorals. Not the belt. Not the mask. Not ANYTHING ELSE. I'll be more explicit next time.

More
19 Jul 2015 10:30 #43249 by AuGoose
Evidently what I really disliked was the chunky boots and gloves (and having seen it modeled 10+ times at the con, the completely shapeless sack-like quality was even worse in real-life). Thankfully, she got a redesign (hallelujah!!) and while I still dislike the color scheme, the rest seems pretty tolerable - and clearly geared towards actually constructing it for movie use.

This message has an attachment image.

More
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds