Amount

Happy Independence Day!

04 Jul 2015 11:45 #43003 by Markiehoe
Happy Independence Day! was created by Markiehoe

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, rednecko

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Markiehoe
  • Markiehoe's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
04 Jul 2015 18:17 #43013 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Happy Independence Day!
I'm just getting over celebrating Canada Day. Joys of living in the borderlands.

My annual celebration is to re-read the Declaration of Independence on this day, and consider again how bold that declaration was given the history of the time. Shortly after the bloody conclusion of the Jackobite Rebellion in Scotland and its horrible suppression by King George. Given my Scottish roots, I was born with a tradition of getting mad whenever I see red. As in redcoats. Always the bad guys for a Scot. And my people aren't even Highlanders. Rather a horse marshal from Clan Keith.

So I get to celebrate both days with the defiance of an ex-pat Scot, who as we all know, refuse to politely submit to authority of any kind. This was the revolution most Scots had dreamed of.

Thank goodness for an ocean between us and King George, or it would have gone as badly as it did for the Jacobites. Instead, history took another path.

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
04 Jul 2015 18:51 #43014 by slim36
Replied by slim36 on topic Happy Independence Day!
Reposted without permission....in the spirit of freedom

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

More
04 Jul 2015 21:03 #43018 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Happy Independence Day!

shadar wrote: I'm just getting over celebrating Canada Day. Joys of living in the borderlands.

My annual celebration is to re-read the Declaration of Independence on this day, and consider again how bold that declaration was given the history of the time. Shortly after the bloody conclusion of the Jackobite Rebellion in Scotland and its horrible suppression by King George. Given my Scottish roots, I was born with a tradition of getting mad whenever I see red. As in redcoats. Always the bad guys for a Scot. And my people aren't even Highlanders. Rather a horse marshal from Clan Keith.

So I get to celebrate both days with the defiance of an ex-pat Scot, who as we all know, refuse to politely submit to authority of any kind. This was the revolution most Scots had dreamed of.

Thank goodness for an ocean between us and King George, or it would have gone as badly as it did for the Jacobites. Instead, history took another path.

I think you'll appreciate this.

The following user(s) said Thank You: shadar

More
Time to create page: 0.063 seconds