Amount:

A look back at an alternate Kara

16 Apr 2017 21:36 #53660 by shadar
shadar created the topic: A look back at an alternate Kara
I stumbled across this picture in my archives today, and I thought it was worth sharing.

This comes from a cover to a Superman Family issue #200 from three or so decades ago.

In this story, Linda Danvers is the governor of Florida and also Superwoman. She's probably mid to late thirties. She's living with a man, undoubtedly her husband. He looked like a normal suit-wearing middle class businessman of the time. Obviously intended to make us wonder who she'd marry.

Lois and Clark are also married and have a daughter (pictured in lower right corner) who is in the process of discovering that she's finally starting to manifest all of her father's powers in her mid-teens. An interesting story of its own.

I believe that everyone in this picture comes out of the Superman and Supergirl comics of the 60's and 70's. Some I recognize. Lana Lang. Jimmy Olson. Perry White.

Anyone know who Jimmy's girlfriend/wife likely is?

Then there's the bunch of men in the back who played some kind of role in their lives.

What is most odd is that Linda is appearing as Superwoman in the picture and not as LInda. Also Superman opening the curtain (so he appears twice), but I chalk that up to artistic license. But Kara is definitely part of the group, while Superman is outside of it, and Clark is in it.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Ravens_ghost, SCOTT R, gotham_knight, TwiceOnThursdays

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • shadar
  • shadar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Legend of SWM
  • Legend of SWM
More
16 Apr 2017 22:02 #53661 by brantley
brantley replied the topic: A look back at an alternate Kara
Was there ever any indication how they could reproduce, or even have safe sex (under kryptonite, perhaps)? And Linda as governor? Hard to do a quick change if there's an emergency when she's in the middle of an important political meeting.

--Brantley

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • brantley
  • brantley's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Uberposter of Distinction
  • Uberposter of Distinction
More
16 Apr 2017 22:48 #53662 by shadar
shadar replied the topic: A look back at an alternate Kara

brantley wrote: Was there ever any indication how they could reproduce, or even have safe sex (under kryptonite, perhaps)? And Linda as governor? Hard to do a quick change if there's an emergency when she's in the middle of an important political meeting.

--Brantley


No, these were not topics in the comic books of the day.

Sex was outside the Code. Linda could have boyfriends, but they were mostly portrayed the way that prepubescent children think about boyfriends.

In this comic, she had an apparent husband, but she treated him in a strange, almost disconnected way.

Later on, alternate storylines depicted Lois dying during child-carrying, her body too frail to carry a half-Kryptonian child. Or in this comic, their daughter getting her powers in her mid-teens as kind of "growing up" thing, which avoided the previous issue. Many other spins, but it was always half human and half Kryptonian children with lesser powers.

I don't think Kara was ever shown as having a child in any alternate storylines.

The closest would be the Peter David character who was a combination of Mae and a very normal human girl -- Linda Danvers also I believe. Mae was a shapechanger who could mimic Kryptonian powers. This Linda was a somewhat depowered Supergirl, but in a later crossover with her and Kara Zor El, LInda has a child who exhibits Kryptonian-grade powers.

Anyway, the historians in the group can tell this better and more accurately, but I don't believe there are any other instances of Kara having a child. But she had plenty of boyfriends.

As far as careers... I'm not sure the ability to get away at any moment was a key thought for the creators. They instead liked the tension of her finding ways to get away and do her thing, and still get back and not be suspected. Which failed on a variety of levels, but that was often key to the story lines, which were usually focused on trivial details like that as opposed to major conflicts.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • shadar
  • shadar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Legend of SWM
  • Legend of SWM
More
16 Apr 2017 22:53 - 16 Apr 2017 22:55 #53663 by Monty
Monty replied the topic: A look back at an alternate Kara

shadar wrote: I stumbled across this picture in my archives today, and I thought it was worth sharing.

This comes from a cover to a Superman Family issue #200 from three or so decades ago.

In this story, Linda Danvers is the governor of Florida and also Superwoman. She's probably mid to late thirties. She's living with a man, undoubtedly her husband. He looked like a normal suit-wearing middle class businessman of the time. Obviously intended to make us wonder who she'd marry.

Lois and Clark are also married and have a daughter (pictured in lower right corner) who is in the process of discovering that she's finally starting to manifest all of her father's powers in her mid-teens. An interesting story of its own.

I believe that everyone in this picture comes out of the Superman and Supergirl comics of the 60's and 70's. Some I recognize. Lana Lang. Jimmy Olson. Perry White.

Anyone know who Jimmy's girlfriend/wife likely is?

Then there's the bunch of men in the back who played some kind of role in their lives.

What is most odd is that Linda is appearing as Superwoman in the picture and not as LInda. Also Superman opening the curtain (so he appears twice), but I chalk that up to artistic license. But Kara is definitely part of the group, while Superman is outside of it, and Clark is in it.


Linda possibly hooked up with Bruce Wayne? He would be in on the family secrets and that could be Robin in the background.
Also Laura Van der Voort played the role of a governess as Kara in some sort of Smallville Futureworld (she smashed up a government building's stone wall with one angry punch.)
Last Edit: 16 Apr 2017 22:55 by Monty.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Apr 2017 00:13 #53665 by Woodclaw
Woodclaw replied the topic: A look back at an alternate Kara
Well Kara was a governor and her best friend, Babs, was a congresswoman ... I think there's something for a story here.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.


(formerly Anon, still Librarian)

"What is the point of having free will if one cannot occasionally spit in the eye of destiny?" ("Gentleman" John Marcone)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Apr 2017 00:29 #53666 by argonaut
argonaut replied the topic: A look back at an alternate Kara
The characters in the background (left to right) are Lana Lang, Morgan Edge, Steve Lombard, Pete Ross, Perry White, Bruce Wayne, and Dick Grayson. I'm guessing about some of them, but they were all prominent supporting characters in the Superman comics of that time. The woman next to Jimmy is Lucy Lane (who I think had pretty much disappeared from the supporting cast by then).

In the story, Superwoman muses that her double career has kept her too busy to marry, and that her "relationships" have never lasted very long. I think it's implied that her current boyfriend (seen only in shadow) is Dick Grayson. (He says that it doesn't take a detective to see that something's on her mind.)

I'm thinking of putting together a post about Superman's "imaginary" super-daughters for the Silver Age Super Girls thread. There were actually quite a few of them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SCOTT R

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • argonaut
  • argonaut's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Uberposter of Distinction
  • Uberposter of Distinction
More
17 Apr 2017 01:22 #53668 by shadar
shadar replied the topic: A look back at an alternate Kara

argonaut wrote: The characters in the background (left to right) are Lana Lang, Morgan Edge, Steve Lombard, Pete Ross, Perry White, Bruce Wayne, and Dick Grayson. I'm guessing about some of them, but they were all prominent supporting characters in the Superman comics of that time. The woman next to Jimmy is Lucy Lane (who I think had pretty much disappeared from the supporting cast by then).

In the story, Superwoman muses that her double career has kept her too busy to marry, and that her "relationships" have never lasted very long. I think it's implied that her current boyfriend (seen only in shadow) is Dick Grayson. (He says that it doesn't take a detective to see that something's on her mind.)

I'm thinking of putting together a post about Superman's "imaginary" super-daughters for the Silver Age Super Girls thread. There were actually quite a few of them.


Thanks for clarifying... I was thinking husband due to the norms and Code of the time, given they seemed to share a house. Or maybe that was just my assumption.

Tks also for clarifying the other characters, or likely characters. You are a Scholar of the Genre.

The article you are considering would be interesting. I know Kal El had a number of "alternate universe" daughters (sons?). It would be interesting to consider their place in the El family roster given I assume most, if not all, are only half Kryptonian.

The other subject that never went beyond off-hand comments here and there was the obvious path to keeping the Kryptonian race alive. Kal El and one of the many versions of Kara Zor El.

I'm in the midst of rewatching the 2005-2010 remake of Battlestar Galactica, and I like one of the new President's primary goals when the 12th colonies were down to a population of 50,000 -- "we need to start having babies". Lots of babies. That's one of the primary ways humans deal with potential extinction. (Or any mammal. Like the coyotes in my neck of the woods. The more people try to wipe them out, the more pups I see.)

Maybe Kryptonians have different instincts, but that one seems pretty obvious when the race is down to a small handful of survivors. To hell with genetic diversity. Means nothing in an extinct race.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • shadar
  • shadar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Legend of SWM
  • Legend of SWM
More
17 Apr 2017 02:08 #53669 by ace191
ace191 replied the topic: A look back at an alternate Kara
Agree with Argo's ID. I have that book somewhere but it has been several years since I last read it. Superman had several sons and daughters over the years. I think all of the girls turned out super but at least one boy did not. No story with a Supergirl and a non super boy or vice versa I have often though about writing one of those.
Maybe that could be a workshop some time.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Apr 2017 02:10 #53670 by ace191
ace191 replied the topic: A look back at an alternate Kara
In the else worlds universe, there was a 1/2 super daughter and a non super son.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Apr 2017 02:34 - 17 Apr 2017 02:40 #53671 by shadar
shadar replied the topic: A look back at an alternate Kara

ace191 wrote: In the else worlds universe, there was a 1/2 super daughter and a non super son.


I remember that... the setup is that Bruce Wayne's son (and the new Batman) is about to marry Lois and Clark's daughter (and the new Supergirl). Things start off very right (as these frames attest), but end very wrong, which I wont describe here.

It's worth it to read the dialog and study these frames to get a good idea of this alternate future.






This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last Edit: 17 Apr 2017 02:40 by shadar.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SCOTT R, gotham_knight, Slim0926, Monty

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • shadar
  • shadar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Legend of SWM
  • Legend of SWM
More
17 Apr 2017 09:42 #53672 by Woodclaw
Woodclaw replied the topic: A look back at an alternate Kara
That's quite popssibly my favorite Elseworld ever: Superman/Batman: Generations. I really liked the basic premise of the story: having superheroes and their families actually aging decade by decade as the world move forward (although it kind of fell apart in the last chapters).

(formerly Anon, still Librarian)

"What is the point of having free will if one cannot occasionally spit in the eye of destiny?" ("Gentleman" John Marcone)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Apr 2017 05:21 #53689 by shadar
shadar replied the topic: A look back at an alternate Kara
Here are some wallpaper images extracted from that Elseworld issue.











This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • shadar
  • shadar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Legend of SWM
  • Legend of SWM
More
18 Apr 2017 05:36 - 18 Apr 2017 05:39 #53690 by shadar
shadar replied the topic: A look back at an alternate Kara
There is another Elseworlds Finest issue that features Batgirl and Supergirl. Very unusual art. Here are a few pages:











This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last Edit: 18 Apr 2017 05:39 by shadar.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Woodclaw, Monty, rebel4life

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • shadar
  • shadar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Legend of SWM
  • Legend of SWM
More
18 Apr 2017 12:18 #53701 by Woodclaw
Woodclaw replied the topic: A look back at an alternate Kara

shadar wrote: Here are some wallpaper images extracted from that Elseworld issue.


This design is actually one of my favorites (minus the boots) ever and my go-to mental image for a classic supergirl costume. In actual fact I think that this was the image that I had in my mind while reading most of Ace's Superlois stories, like Turnabout Is Fair Play.

shadar wrote: There is another Elseworlds Finest issue that features Batgirl and Supergirl. Very unusual art. Here are a few pages:


For a one-off thing that design, which I think was the brainchild of Barbara Kessel and Dan Jurgens (althouhg Jurgens didn't draw the actul story) has become insanely popular and I can totally see why. It's pretty much a very balanced pastiche of the classic elements of various costumes, both from Superman and Supergirl, but streamlined to the maximum. Plus I think that this is one of the best renditions of an adult Kara ever: she looks powerful yet very shapely without going to the extremes of making her Power Girl. In many ways she reminds me a comic book rendition of Dara Torres.

(formerly Anon, still Librarian)

"What is the point of having free will if one cannot occasionally spit in the eye of destiny?" ("Gentleman" John Marcone)
The following user(s) said Thank You: shadar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds