Amount

Supergirls

08 May 2006 06:59 #5471 by YAGS
Supergirls was created by YAGS
So is anyone reading the new Supergirl series? I've recently gotten back into reading comics a bit, but I haven't bought any new stuff. I'm just reading my old collection and filling in a couple of gaps with back issues.

I saw there's a new Supergirl, who seems to be getting more negative than positive reviews on the internet. Her origin in Superman/Batman is already available in TPB, and the first story arc of her series is scheduled to be out as a TPB soon. Should I bother?

And speaking of Supergirls, I read that Infinite Crisis is following in the footsteps of Crisis on Infinite Earths when it comes to characters of that name. Apparently, it's not really a Crisis unless history is re-written so that a Supergirl never existed. This time, it's the Matrix version of the character who was removed from continuity, thus wiping out Peter David's great series from DC Universe history.

YAGS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• YAGS
  • YAGS's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
09 May 2006 09:41 #5478 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Re: Supergirls
I bought the TPB and thoroughly enjoyed it... the interplay between Batman, Supes, Diana and of course Kara was very well done. As opposed to squeaky clean superheroes, they are defined by their suspiciions and weaknesses, over which their heroic qualities finally emerge.

They are no longer two dimensional characters. And Kara is unlike you've seen her before.

I'm not a fan of the art work, although they were teasing the bondaries a bit with Kara mostly nude in places. I prefer a more realistic style of drawing, but in the end, that doesn't really detract that much from a nice piece of writing.

I recommend reading the TPB and then decide if your personal tastes favor this new depiction of Kara, as mine do.

Shadar

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
09 May 2006 18:22 #5482 by brantley
Replied by brantley on topic Re: Supergirls
What's TPB?

More
09 May 2006 18:44 #5484 by murdough
Replied by murdough on topic Re: Supergirls
trade paperback

More
09 May 2006 19:03 #5485 by shadar
Think of it as a half dozen to a dozen individual comic books all bound into a single volume that allow the plot elements to be fully explored in a single reading, not waiting for the usuual monthly serial releases of the individual books.

A graphic novel.

Collectors prefer the individual comics for appreciation of value, but the TPB is a great way to read a series that you discover after its already become popular.

Shadar

• shadar
More
09 May 2006 19:07 #5486 by brantley
Right. Like a version of THE WATCHMEN I have at home.

More
11 May 2006 17:42 #5498 by shadar
Get the latest Supergirl TPB and give it a read to know how the canonical Supergirl is being handled. It's a pretty good story.

Shadar

• shadar
More
14 May 2006 17:51 #5509 by WhitePaw
Replied by WhitePaw on topic Re: Supergirls
I prefer the 20-page stapled-together comic books as opposed to the TPB just because the smaller rags are more flatbed-scanner friendly. I've aquired a few TPB to date (a hardcover of the above-mentioned Superman-Batman-Supergirl debut <not really a TBP> and a recent reprint of "Many Happy Returns" for example) and rendered them unresellable just in process of "backing them up". Anybody interested in taking the split-spine yet still readable results off my shelf super cheap, e-mail me off-boards.

Oh, and the current Supergirl, I hated at first, have warmed up to, and lo and behold--she's now old enough for them to outright ruin already in #6. Nothing personal to her, DC ruined EVERYTHING with their poor storyline 'entropy managment' across their 'crisis' cacaphony. My opionion, subject to change.

Wuv,
-WP.

More
14 May 2006 22:43 #5510 by YAGS
Replied by YAGS on topic Re: Supergirls
I prefer TPB's, just because they're easier to sit and read, but I also don't scan them. I'd think that flattening them for a scanner would decrease the resell value of the original comics, also. I'm more of a reader than a collector, though, so convenience is more important to me than the condition of the books.

Another reason why I like TPB's over the monthly magazines is that you get the whole story at once. In this day and age, with writers never putting together a story that's less than 3 issues of the monthly mag, it can be annoying to read part of a story and have to wait a month for the next part.

As for the new Supergirl, I still haven't bought the TPB. I'm in no rush, really, as I haven't heard anything that would get me excited to go run out and buy this. I've heard quite a few mixed reviews, with a lot of people saying she's lacking for personality, and even the most positive comments have said the intro story is pretty good, because they like the interplay between the other major characters. Not exactly a ringing endorsement for the new character. I'll probably buy it eventually, but I've got enough other reading material right now that I'll just save my money for a little while.

YAGS

• YAGS
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
15 May 2006 04:09 #5513 by argonaut
Replied by argonaut on topic Re: Supergirls
I concur with my esteemed colleague from Uzbekistan and the gentleman from Florida.

I suspect that Supergirl is a victim of bad timing. She joined the DCU just as the editorial powers-that-be were gearing up for the Infinite Crisis mega-event, and fitting her into the IC story-line took precedence over giving her a coherent personality, back-story, and supporting cast.

Now -- One Year Later -- she's all over the DCU: protecting Metropolis now that Superman has lost his powers, flying alongside the Legion of Super-Heroes, and hanging out with Power Girl in Kandor. I'm guessing that DC isn't sure what to do with her, so they're waiting to see which version sticks.

Oh, and in her own book she's talking about going back to Argo. Geez, are they ret-conning her already?

> sigh < :roll: And I thought DC might get her right this time ... :(

More
15 May 2006 05:10 #5514 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic Re: Supergirls
What I think they are doing at present is "cashing in" on her current popularity which is a good thing. If she wasn't popular, she wouldn't be featured all over the place!

Her new look is doing well and quite easy on the eyes. Let's hope that after DC is finshed with their current plans, they come up with something good for her that will last this time.

Speaking from experience, this series is better that the Daring New Adventures of Supergirl (which was her worst book of all time), and it is better than the last part of her run in Adventure. Too soon to tell if it will surpass the last run, but at least it is not so demonic with God (Wally) vs the Devil. They beat that plot line to death.

More
20 May 2006 12:15 #5549 by brantley
Is the new TPB you're talking about the Batman-Superman Supergirl? That's the only one I can find at the local Borders,

More
20 May 2006 12:21 #5550 by shadar
That's the beast. It's worth a read.

• shadar
More
20 May 2006 18:18 #5551 by YAGS
Replied by YAGS on topic Re: Supergirls

Is the new TPB you're talking about the Batman-Superman Supergirl? That's the only one I can find at the local Borders,

Yes. The new version of the character was introduced in the pages of the Superman/Batman crossover book. The collected edition of all the issues of that story is the only TPB out so far that features her.

I think her solo book is only up to 6 issues so far, with a TPB of the first 5 due out in the next month or two.

YAGS

• YAGS
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
21 May 2006 06:27 #5553 by WhitePaw
You can borrow my copy if you like. It's quite readable.

Wuv,
-White Paw.

More
21 May 2006 06:31 #5554 by WhitePaw
Along with these and these to complete the current DC Super Girl run.

No harm done that a couple'a nights under a few dictionaries can't fix.

N-Joy.

Wuv,
-White Paw

More
21 May 2006 12:34 #5555 by brantley
Just bought the one Shadar was talking about.

More
21 May 2006 13:13 #5556 by shadar
Be interesting to know what you think after you do a read. Format is unconventional as there are multiple streams of consciousness going on behind the story, with yellow boxes for Kal's and blue for Batman's.

An interesting technique, given that we are dealing with two very experienced men who have very different views of how Kara should be treated.

That's really the highlight of the story... two differences in perspective and decisons of those two iconic characters.

Shadar

• shadar
More
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds