Amount

"I Wish I Was Kryptonian" Art Contest Updates/Ideas

10 Jul 2014 16:13 #37240 by lfan
Thanks to the generosity of our members, I think we have funds to proceed with trying to secure some exclusive content on the site. One of the things we were strongly considering was reviving the "themed gallery" concept that was so popular on SGI and gave us so many great images for our private collections.

My idea is to do a SWM-sponsored contest that will have cash prizes enough to attract a number of artists and make it "worth their time" to enter. Understandably, many artists see "art contests" as nothing more than a ploy to get free commissions. So there has to be some incentive for them to enter, which we will provide in the form of cash for 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place. I'm still working out the amounts based on my conversations with some artists, commissioners, and obviously, how much we have in the SWM coffers. Nevertheless, that is what we are considering and would love to hear if that is something you all would be interested in.

As such, we're mulling over ideas for themes, keeping in mind that the "theme" should promote some good opportunities for ubergirl-action. For example, "Supergirl" isn't such a great theme (in my mind) for this cause we'll probably get just a bunch of portraits of supergirl in static pinup poses. Couple of the themes I was mulling over were:

-- When Good Girls Go Bad (redux of old themed gallery): Gallery of superheroines using their powers evilly or mischievously
-- Super Selfies: Pics of supergirls taking selfies of them being super
-- Super Samaritans: Basically a "good" version of the Good Girls Go Bad gallery
-- Wish I was Super (another redux): Non-superpowered characters gaining and showing off superpowers
-- SWM Wants You: A military-themed gallery of ubergirls in uniform and/or fighting on the battlefield
-- Halloween: Ubergirls using their powers on Halloween

Let us know your thoughts and/or other suggestions. My goal is to probably get this contest off the ground by end of July with a deadline of Oct 15th, in time for Halloween.

ElF
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dru1076, Random321, fats

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • SWM - Administrator
  • SWM - Administrator
More
10 Jul 2014 22:04 #37246 by Woodclaw

lfan wrote: -- When Good Girls Go Bad (redux of old themed gallery): Gallery of superheroines using their powers evilly or mischievously
-- Super Selfies: Pics of supergirls taking selfies of them being super
-- Super Samaritans: Basically a "good" version of the Good Girls Go Bad gallery
-- Wish I was Super (another redux): Non-superpowered characters gaining and showing off superpowers
-- SWM Wants You: A military-themed gallery of ubergirls in uniform and/or fighting on the battlefield
-- Halloween: Ubergirls using their powers on Halloween

At the moment none of this themes actually clicks with me. The SWM wants you is probably the most interesting, but I have one concern: is it wise to do this contest now?
Since the new server requires some resources it wouldn't be wiser to wait a bit before using those founds?

(formerly Anon, still Librarian)

"What is the point of having free will if one cannot occasionally spit in the eye of destiny?" ("Gentleman" John Marcone)

More
10 Jul 2014 22:32 #37248 by Dru1076
I like the "SWM wants you" theme. But I love the "When good girls go bad" idea, so I'll vote for that one.

"Stupid Reality!" - Homer J. Simpson
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan

More
10 Jul 2014 23:21 #37249 by smoki07
I vote Super Selfies!!!!!!!!!!

More
11 Jul 2014 00:16 #37251 by bionicskillz
Replied by bionicskillz on topic "I Wish I Was Kryptonian" Art Contest Updates/Ideas
I would love to enter one of these contests. Is it open for any artist who frequents the forums? I like all the topics so far.

More
11 Jul 2014 00:34 #37252 by lfan

bionicskillz wrote: I would love to enter one of these contests. Is it open for any artist who frequents the forums? I like all the topics so far.

It'll be open to hopefully any artist period. Would love for you to participate, Skillz!

ElF

• lfan
  • SWM - Administrator
  • SWM - Administrator
More
11 Jul 2014 03:23 #37254 by castor
have played around with selfies before-i think thats a fun idea- but even if it something else may try my hand at doing that.

Castor

• castor
  • Uberposter of Distinction
More
11 Jul 2014 13:19 #37256 by Markiehoe
SWM Wants You! or Halloween.
If it is Halloween, there would be plenty of time to give out the awards at Halloween.

The absolute LAST thing I want to see is Good Girls go Bad.

• Markiehoe
More
11 Jul 2014 14:33 #37257 by inactive
Part of me agrees with Woodclaw that caution might be wise until the server and funding situation shake out, but I am a naturally cautious person.

Of the suggested themes, I like "I wish I was super" - that was always my favorite of the themed galleries.

- GeekSeven

More
11 Jul 2014 15:03 #37258 by lfan

Markiehoe wrote: ....The absolute LAST thing I want to see is Good Girls go Bad.

Mark, I knew your vote before you even read my post! ;)

ElF
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

• lfan
  • SWM - Administrator
  • SWM - Administrator
More
11 Jul 2014 15:09 #37259 by Lulu
I would love to parcipate this time and would either choose the first, the second or the fifth topic.

More
11 Jul 2014 15:13 #37260 by lfan

Woodclaw wrote:
At the moment none of this themes actually clicks with me. The SWM wants you is probably the most interesting, but I have one concern: is it wise to do this contest now?
Since the new server requires some resources it wouldn't be wiser to wait a bit before using those founds?

A valid point! Please keep in mind that I am throwing the contest idea out there with the following factors:

1) I will in NO WAY jeopardize funds required for the servers or even come close to that. Not that any of you know -- or even have to believe me -- but I'm honestly about the most risk averse person you will ever meet, especially when it comes to money and budgeting.
2) While we're milling this around, I'm hoping more contributions come in. In addition, any payouts will not be for a couple of month where, again, I'm hoping more contributions will come in, based on people's verbal pledges. I understand I cannot hold people to that, but I'm fairly confident in a lot of the regulars.
3) Initial contributions -- thanks to a handful of VERY generous benefactors --- far exceeded our initial forecasts, allowing us to "give back" to the community sooner than expected without risking the hosting funds needed

Hope this answers your question and puts you at ease, a little....

ElF

• lfan
  • SWM - Administrator
  • SWM - Administrator
More
11 Jul 2014 15:17 #37261 by argonaut
A couple of suggestions, for future consideration at least:

1. This Is a Job for Supergirl: A super-girl uses her powers on the job -- as a construction worker, garage mechanic, member of a moving van crew, bouncer ...

2. A Day at the Beach: Super-lifeguard to the rescue, super beach-volleyball player, super swimsuit model on a photoshoot, super-girl competing against male bodybuilders ... or a twist on that old Charles Atlas ad, where the girl handles the bully.

Of the themes Lfan listed, I'm with G7 -- Non-super female character gaining super-powers hits my buttons every time.

Lfan, do you have any plans for getting the word out to artists outside the SWM community?
The following user(s) said Thank You: furbutt4

• argonaut
More
11 Jul 2014 15:44 #37262 by Woodclaw

lfan wrote:

Woodclaw wrote:

A valid point! Please keep in mind that I am throwing the contest idea out there with the following factors:

1) I will in NO WAY jeopardize funds required for the servers or even come close to that. Not that any of you know -- or even have to believe me -- but I'm honestly about the most risk averse person you will ever meet, especially when it comes to money and budgeting.
2) While we're milling this around, I'm hoping more contributions come in. In addition, any payouts will not be for a couple of month where, again, I'm hoping more contributions will come in, based on people's verbal pledges. I understand I cannot hold people to that, but I'm fairly confident in a lot of the regulars.
3) Initial contributions -- thanks to a handful of VERY generous benefactors --- far exceeded our initial forecasts, allowing us to "give back" to the community sooner than expected without risking the hosting funds needed

Hope this answers your question and puts you at ease, a little....

ElF

If this is the situation I'm okay with it.

argonaut wrote: A couple of suggestions, for future consideration at least:

1. This Is a Job for Supergirl: A super-girl uses her powers on the job -- as a construction worker, garage mechanic, member of a moving van crew, bouncer ...

2. A Day at the Beach: Super-lifeguard to the rescue, super beach-volleyball player, super swimsuit model on a photoshoot, super-girl competing against male bodybuilders ... or a twist on that old Charles Atlas ad, where the girl handles the bully.

This Is a Job for Supergirl is definitly something that I like.

(formerly Anon, still Librarian)

"What is the point of having free will if one cannot occasionally spit in the eye of destiny?" ("Gentleman" John Marcone)

More
11 Jul 2014 15:45 - 11 Jul 2014 15:46 #37263 by lfan

argonaut wrote: A couple of suggestions, for future consideration at least:

Of the themes Lfan listed, I'm with G7 -- Non-super female character gaining super-powers hits my buttons every time.

Lfan, do you have any plans for getting the word out to artists outside the SWM community?

\

I personally like #1 as well......we did that as a themed gallery before on SGI (e.g. Supergirl as cop, Rogue as Meter Maid, She-hulk as Rancher, Powergirl as Crossing Guard, etc). I think I didn't list it as a choice cause I felt guilty for reduxing all the old themes! :P

My only issue with #2 is I don't think it lends itself to enough different action scenes of superness (aside from the obligatory 'muscle beach' weighlifting). Of course, that could just be my limited imagination!

As for other artists outside of SWM, I'm hoping that is where the MAJORITY come from, seeing that we only have a smattering of artists that frequent the forum. I've been in contact with a few commissioners as to artists we will solicit (as well as posting something on DA about it), and hope to open a thread for suggested artists. Of course, I think it helps if its artists that we members have commissioned before. I think it lends to credibility if the solicitation comes from a former customer.

Also, aside from the prizes, I think the artists stand a GREAT chance of followup commissions. I know certain artists like Shade and TGK have reaped a lot of commissions from our user base.

ElF
Last edit: 11 Jul 2014 15:46 by lfan.

• lfan
  • SWM - Administrator
  • SWM - Administrator
More
11 Jul 2014 16:35 #37266 by lfan
Regarding Super Selfies.....seems like DC is doing a buncha covers dedicated to them, although it seems "light" on their female characters (no Supergirl or World Finest covers). Still the Harley cover is well......pretty cool:

Dunno if this make me wanna do the Super Selfies concept more or less now.....

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• lfan
  • SWM - Administrator
  • SWM - Administrator
More
11 Jul 2014 17:01 - 11 Jul 2014 17:47 #37267 by fats

lfan wrote:

Woodclaw wrote: 1) I will in NO WAY jeopardize funds required for the servers or even come close to that. Not that any of you know -- or even have to believe me -- but I'm honestly about the most risk averse person you will ever meet, especially when it comes to money and budgeting.

ElF

I can testify to that.

On the matter in hand I would have gone for good girl doing bad things, but I’m happy with any of the ideas.

Fats

Last edit: 11 Jul 2014 17:47 by fats.

• fats
  • Away
  • SWM - Administrator
  • SWM - Administrator
More
12 Jul 2014 03:54 - 12 Jul 2014 03:56 #37281 by steelknight3000
Replied by steelknight3000 on topic "I Wish I Was Kryptonian" Art Contest Updates/Ideas
I prefer super-selfies or Wish I was Super

Though knowing what I know from commissioning art, anything less than a 6-month deadline can feel like wishful thinking
Last edit: 12 Jul 2014 03:56 by steelknight3000.

More
15 Jul 2014 22:21 #37328 by argonaut

argonaut wrote: 1. This Is a Job for Supergirl: A super-girl uses her powers on the job -- as a construction worker, garage mechanic, member of a moving van crew, bouncer ...

From DeviantArt, Big Barda as a construction worker ...

This image is hidden for guests.

and Wonder Girl as a fitness trainer ...

This image is hidden for guests.

• argonaut
More
16 Jul 2014 16:10 - 16 Jul 2014 16:23 #37345 by lfan
Well, TBH, the comments are all over the place with everybody liking something different, so I might have to make an executive call. :) Right now, I'm tending to lean towards "Wish I was Super" cause I think it offers the most flexibility. It also appeals to good girl fans and bad girl fans depending on "who" gets the powers. Furthermore, it can be used across not just comicdom but also across cartoons and animation (e.g. Wilma Flintstone, Kim Possible, Disney Princesses, etc.) , as well, giving artists a huge pool and a lot of creative freedom to work with....

For those not familiar with the first go-round of this theme. Here are some of the ones from last time:

Thoughts?

ElF

This message has attachments images.

Last edit: 16 Jul 2014 16:23 by lfan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ravens_ghost, furbutt4

• lfan
  • SWM - Administrator
  • SWM - Administrator
More
Time to create page: 0.133 seconds