Amount

An idea for some avatar fun

20 Aug 2018 22:34 - 20 Aug 2018 22:48 #60737 by Agent00Soul
Replied by Agent00Soul on topic An idea for some avatar fun
Mika couldn’t believe it when she saw the phone booth.  She thought they had all been removed a long time ago.  They must have forgotten about this one.  What an unexpected find on the way to her first internship. Of course, the one thing she didn’t consider – which was silly since she interned at a museum – was that the neighborhood had wanted it kept right where it was for aesthetic reasons.

But Mika was only a college student: legally an adult, but still a teenager.  Sometimes she didn’t think things through.  All she knew is the famous stories of the classic superheroes changing in phone booths, something she regarded as being as permanently in the past as Roman gladiators and Model T’s. She never thought she might get the chance to live out that particular trope, and when a gift-horse trots up, you sure as heck aren’t going to look it in the mouth.

She glanced around.  The mostly residential block was quiet since everyone was already at work – which is where she should be.  Oh well.  It’s a big city.  There must be some kind of crime that happens on Monday mornings she could find and thwart.  Surely that’s more important than a silly internship.  

Excitedly, she trotted into the booth.  She’d never seen the inside of one before.  It was a bit less impressive than the outside. She was only 5’2” and the pay phone was at an awkward level to her height.  In addition, this booth had been well-used.  It stank of cigarettes and ancient black gum was stuck everywhere. She instinctively pressed down her professional dress and brushed imagined grit off her stockings.  Her expensive pumps were slightly stuck on the floor.  Better get this done quickly.

It was always exciting to make the change, but she had done it enough times for it to be somewhat routine.  Not this time.  This was going to really connect her to her Golden Age predecessors.  Quickly darting her eyes outside one last time to make sure she wasn’t spied, she whispered her magic word.

A bolt of lightning descended from nowhere, blasting straight through the roof as if it wasn’t there, striking Mika.  The change took nanoseconds, but to Mika time slowed down as the energy poured into her.  She had described the sensation as the tingling that happens after your foot falls asleep all over her body combined with the feeling of inflation as the energy zapped into every cell, enlarging her piece by piece.  The slithering of her clothing, as it too transformed from professional attire into the barely-there uniform of the world’s mightiest mortal, was an additional caress. 

Soon, even the silhouette of a teen assuming larger-than-life proportions was invisible behind the intense light of the transformation.  To anyone walking past, the booth would have appeared less like a phone box than a giant lantern such was the illumination.  But that light also contained vast amounts of energy; energy a simple box of wood, metal, and glass was never intended to absorb.

At the epicenter, a now nearly transformed Mika could hear the walls and door of the booth creak under the strain.  At this point, she realized she might have made a mistake. After all, Clark Kent and Peter Parker were just swapping their clothes, they weren’t physically changing. This was going to be more like Underdog. But she stopped caring pretty quickly as her new form finalized around her.  Why think like an ordinary human when you have been granted the gifts of the gods?

The final, pulsar-like blast that signaled the end of the transformation ripped the phone booth apart. The roof and door simply disintegrated, while the three sides – or what was left of them – leisurely collapsed to the sidewalk, less a box than a Blooming Onion fit to be served at Outback Steakhouse. 1 .2. 3.

Not waiting a moment to get off the ground as soon as she gained the ability to do so, Mighty Mika shot a few feet off the smoldering embers and electrical sparking floor of the former phone booth with a slightly bemused "Oops."  Had she still had her human consciousness, she might have felt a pang of guilt about destroying a city landmark. But maybe not.  She might have been everyone’s idea of a responsible kid, but she was still a teenager. Either way, in this form, her mind was consumed with more elevated thoughts: helping people, enjoying the feeling of awestruck eyes on her amazing body, lifting trucks, and flying.  Especially flying.

All it took was one blast of her super breath to put out any remaining fires and stop the smoke from the ruined booth. Hovering a few feet overhead, she grinned.  It had still been worth it. Then, at the speed of a thought, she zoomed off into the sky faster than the human eye could see.
Last edit: 20 Aug 2018 22:48 by Agent00Soul.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shadar, Woodclaw, algae2k

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Aug 2018 18:02 #60755 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic An idea for some avatar fun

Agent00Soul wrote: Mika couldn’t believe it when she saw the phone booth.  She thought they had all been removed a long time ago.  They must have forgotten about this one.  What an unexpected find on the way to her first internship. Of course, the one thing she didn’t consider – which was silly since she interned at a museum – was that the neighborhood had wanted it kept right where it was for aesthetic reasons.

But Mika was only a college student: legally an adult, but still a teenager.  Sometimes she didn’t think things through.  All she knew is the famous stories of the classic superheroes changing in phone booths, something she regarded as being as permanently in the past as Roman gladiators and Model T’s. She never thought she might get the chance to live out that particular trope, and when a gift-horse trots up, you sure as heck aren’t going to look it in the mouth.

She glanced around.  The mostly residential block was quiet since everyone was already at work – which is where she should be.  Oh well.  It’s a big city.  There must be some kind of crime that happens on Monday mornings she could find and thwart.  Surely that’s more important than a silly internship.  

Excitedly, she trotted into the booth.  She’d never seen the inside of one before.  It was a bit less impressive than the outside. She was only 5’2” and the pay phone was at an awkward level to her height.  In addition, this booth had been well-used.  It stank of cigarettes and ancient black gum was stuck everywhere. She instinctively pressed down her professional dress and brushed imagined grit off her stockings.  Her expensive pumps were slightly stuck on the floor.  Better get this done quickly.

It was always exciting to make the change, but she had done it enough times for it to be somewhat routine.  Not this time.  This was going to really connect her to her Golden Age predecessors.  Quickly darting her eyes outside one last time to make sure she wasn’t spied, she whispered her magic word.

A bolt of lightning descended from nowhere, blasting straight through the roof as if it wasn’t there, striking Mika.  The change took nanoseconds, but to Mika time slowed down as the energy poured into her.  She had described the sensation as the tingling that happens after your foot falls asleep all over her body combined with the feeling of inflation as the energy zapped into every cell, enlarging her piece by piece.  The slithering of her clothing, as it too transformed from professional attire into the barely-there uniform of the world’s mightiest mortal, was an additional caress. 

Soon, even the silhouette of a teen assuming larger-than-life proportions was invisible behind the intense light of the transformation.  To anyone walking past, the booth would have appeared less like a phone box than a giant lantern such was the illumination.  But that light also contained vast amounts of energy; energy a simple box of wood, metal, and glass was never intended to absorb.

At the epicenter, a now nearly transformed Mika could hear the walls and door of the booth creak under the strain.  At this point, she realized she might have made a mistake. After all, Clark Kent and Peter Parker were just swapping their clothes, they weren’t physically changing. This was going to be more like Underdog. But she stopped caring pretty quickly as her new form finalized around her.  Why think like an ordinary human when you have been granted the gifts of the gods?

The final, pulsar-like blast that signaled the end of the transformation ripped the phone booth apart. The roof and door simply disintegrated, while the three sides – or what was left of them – leisurely collapsed to the sidewalk, less a box than a Blooming Onion fit to be served at Outback Steakhouse. 1 .2. 3.

Not waiting a moment to get off the ground as soon as she gained the ability to do so, Mighty Mika shot a few feet off the smoldering embers and electrical sparking floor of the former phone booth with a slightly bemused "Oops."  Had she still had her human consciousness, she might have felt a pang of guilt about destroying a city landmark. But maybe not.  She might have been everyone’s idea of a responsible kid, but she was still a teenager. Either way, in this form, her mind was consumed with more elevated thoughts: helping people, enjoying the feeling of awestruck eyes on her amazing body, lifting trucks, and flying.  Especially flying.

All it took was one blast of her super breath to put out any remaining fires and stop the smoke from the ruined booth. Hovering a few feet overhead, she grinned.  It had still been worth it. Then, at the speed of a thought, she zoomed off into the sky faster than the human eye could see.

Nice one, I think is by far the most endearing piece that poped up so far in this thread.

(formerly Anon, still Librarian)

"What is the point of having free will if one cannot occasionally spit in the eye of destiny?" ("Gentleman" John Marcone)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Agent00Soul

More
21 Aug 2018 18:34 #60761 by Agent00Soul
Replied by Agent00Soul on topic An idea for some avatar fun

Woodclaw wrote: Nice one, I think is by far the most endearing piece that poped up so far in this thread.

Awwww shucks.  Thank you!

More
23 Aug 2018 06:24 - 23 Aug 2018 12:42 #60796 by stmercy2020
Replied by stmercy2020 on topic An idea for some avatar fun
I was upstairs, working out.

I’d been doing a lot of that, since the West End got back to the world; I didn’t know what else to do.

I knew Anne was worried; she radiated apprehension whenever we met for coffee, but she couldn’t quite put a name to what was worrying her. Or, more accurately, she could name it; she just couldn’t find it.

And so, here I was, waiting for the other shoe to drop.

When the faerie invasion kicked off, we’d all been caught unprepared, and I was damned if I was going to let that happen again. I might not be in the big leagues— I couldn’t fry someone with lasers or juggle tanks; I couldn’t summon a sorcerous portal and drop my enemies into the pits of Hell; I couldn’t even leap over tall buildings in a single bound— but, dammit, I could fight and there were damn few people, even metas, who could match me in a straight-up brawl.

Hey, babe,” James’s voice said. One of the more useful abilities the aliens had given me: I’m my own cellphone.

“What’s up?” I asked.

You sound out of breath. You working out?

“You know me too well,” I chuckled.

Well, can you take a break? I just got authorization for a new dig, and I want to celebrate with my favorite girl!”

I set myself and spun to take another kick at my heavy bag; the bag was made of a high-tech polymer cover produced by Walker Sports and filled with an extra-dense ballistic foam that weighed significantly more than sand. The whole thing weighed about two hundred pounds, although it was still the size of a more typical eighty pound bag.

“This celebration,” I said as my foot impacted. I grunted with the force of the blow, then continued. “This celebration likely to involve calories?”

James laughed. “It might… assuming Italian food and Tiramisu have calories, anyways.

“Yeah… Tell you what: let me work off a couple extra calories in advance, then I’ll meet you at Reggiano’s around… seven o’clock okay?”

Sounds good, babe. I’ll see you there!

I turned my attention to the bag again. If I was going to Reggiano’s, I had a lot of work to do in order to break even.

A lot.

I spun, and kicked the bag again, even harder.

This picture and story belong to me and are a part of the ongoing Dream Haven story.
Last edit: 23 Aug 2018 12:42 by stmercy2020.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shadar, Agent00Soul

More
Time to create page: 0.078 seconds