Amount

Star Wars - Episode III

23 May 2005 21:56 #1289 by jdrock24
Star Wars - Episode III was created by jdrock24
I don't know what everyone else thinks, but I thought this movie was awesome. It was infinitely better than the first two. I mean, every time you turned around there was a lightsaber duel going on. Plus, there was no Jar Jar Binks to chew up scenery and steal screentime.

There are people who would say that the acting was bad, and I can't argue with that fact. Most of the characters are very wooden, but the action more than made up for it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jdrock24
  • jdrock24's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
25 May 2005 01:08 #1297 by YAGS
Replied by YAGS on topic Re: Star Wars - Episode III

I don't know what everyone else thinks, but I thought this movie was awesome. It was infinitely better than the first two. I mean, every time you turned around there was a lightsaber duel going on. Plus, there was no Jar Jar Binks to chew up scenery and steal screentime.

There are people who would say that the acting was bad, and I can't argue with that fact. Most of the characters are very wooden, but the action more than made up for it.

It was certainly better than Phantom Menace or Attack of the Clones, but I still don't think it measures up to the original trilogy. The acting was a little stiff, but nowhere near as bad as in Attack of the Clones.

But it felt as if Lucas was going out of his way to tie in as many details as he could from the previous movies into this one, whether they were necessary or not, and he just went a little overboard with it. In doing so, he created a lot of little continuity errors, even though it seems he was trying to explain continuity points with some of these things. Nothing major, but enough for serious fans to nitpick until the end of time.

YAGS

More
31 May 2005 16:40 #1363 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Re: Star Wars - Episode III
I really enjoyed it! Personally, I think its all too convenient and trendy to bash all of the last three movies that a lot of it is unjustified. Ok, the acting at times isn't that great, but looking back at the original Star Wars (dunno whether to call it the first one or the 4th one), the acting in that is pretty bad at times too (Mark Hamill's acting when they rescue Leia is almost laughable). So I think the bad acting argument, while sometime true, is unjustly argued. That said, my comments:

Acting:
====
Portman was prety good and Palpatine as well -- lil over the top as the emperor, but that his character. Anakin is defintely the weak link but wasn't unwatchable. He has a good glare when he turns evil (don;t think that too much of a spoiler). I think Ewan McGregor sounds exactly like a young Obi-Wan. Dunno if you can call it "great acting" but defintely a good fit as a young Alec Guiness. I LOVE Samuel Jackson (prob one of my fav actors), but have a hard time seeing him as a Jedi Master for some reason.....

FX: (SPOLIERS)
===========
Here's again where I prob differ from everyone who think it was "stunning visually". Stunning to the point of giving me a headache at times. The SFX were soooooo good and plentiful that the scenes seemed too busy at times. Perfect examples were the opening battle scene and later anytime they showed the city "traffic". OK, ILM we know you can do a realistic spacecraft but do we really need 3500 of them in EVERY background shot?? Lightsaber duels were awesome though, especially with Yoda! One of the highlights along with the Wookie battle scene.

Plot / Story (SPOILERS)
================
I thought they did a great job tying everything together continuity wise. Anakin's spiral downward has been criticized for being "too fast" and "overreaction", but in a 2-3hr movie, I'll give Lucus some poetic license for "rushing it". I admit though that Anakin seemed to be down on the Jedi Order pretty quickly though and didn't really give them the benefit of the doubt which led to a speedy dark side migration! I thought once the "Plan" went into action, it was very neat (and quite disturbing) to watch all the Jedi being murdered throughout the Galaxy. Even the hot Ayala (blue chick) got wasted! ** sigh *** One thing I thought was ballsy for Lucus to do was the whole "temple scene" which I found to be disturbing -- defintely the darkest moment in all of the Star Wars movies. Pretty confident that Anakin wasting a buncha 8 year old jedi wannabes helped contribute to the PG-13 rating! Overall though I thought the storyline was good for what it needed to do --- not only tell a story but also "wrap things up" for what you know comes next. Probably not an easy thing to do!

In the scheme of things, I would rank them all as follows:

1. Return of Jedi (yeah, yeah....but I'm a sucker for happy endings)
2t. Empire Strike Back / Revenge of Sith
3. Star Wars
4. Attack of Clones
10. Phantom Menace

So has anyone else seen it?? ;)

LF

More
31 May 2005 19:48 #1372 by brantley
Replied by brantley on topic Re: Star Wars - Episode III
Some comments from me and my fiancée from another board, with a few later emendations in brackets:

<<You've got everthing right here except the spelling of Anakin's name.

Other problems with the movie:

It was too BUSY. There were so many battles on so many planets that there wasn't time to relate to them. It was like watching the Cliff's notes instead of the actual story (and how come it takes only a few hours to get from the capital planet to the most remote worlds, and back again?).

The only time I though the movie was at all emotionally involving was when the scene of Padme giving birth was cross-cut with that of Darth Vader getting his makeover -- the images of new life versus living death were effective. And the fadeout against the double sunset of Tatooine resonated with Luke watching the same double sunset in the original STAR WARS. Note that none of these scenes were action scenes.

Lucas should have spent more time on the story. The transformation of Anakin from just a headstrong youth into a ruthless murderer is simply too sudden and unbelievable. There should have been some foreshadowingof this in THE PHANTOM MENACE and ATTACK OF THE CLONES, but there WASN'T. Yoda could talk of "much anger" in him, but nothing of the sort is ever SHOWN. You have to show, not tell.

[Note: I have since been reminded that Anakin slaughtered a village of sand people in CLONES. But if that slipped my mind, it apparently slipped everyone's mind in the movie as well as there are no references to it. But I'm told there ARE references to incidents in a series of on-line CLONE WARS videos, which few moviegoers have seen, and which must render a lot of the battle scenes confusing to those moviegoers.]

Except for Ian McDarmid as Palpatine, the acting was poor. And the dialogue was weak. But we already knew that Lucas can't direct and can't write; that's why the best movie of the series was THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK.

[Sure, the writing and acting in the original STAR WARS weren't that great. But there, the dialogue had a kind of naive charm, because it was never as pompous as what we've seen in the prequels.]

--BTE

--- In Aurora_Universe_Readers@yahoogroups.com, Velvet <mnfs0111@y...&gt; wrote:
&gt;
&gt; Just got back from seeing Star Wars Episode III with Brantley, and we were both underwhelmed to put it mildly.
&gt;
&gt; Many things wrong with the plot, what there was of it, but I'd like to mention just some.

&gt; 1) Anniken's motive for going over to the Dark Side is his fear that his wife, Padme, will die in childbirth. Now, why would a young, healthy woman living in the Galactic Capital die in childbirth? I kept on wanting to shout "if you're so worried, just take her to a good hospital"
&gt;
&gt; 2) When Anniken returns to the Capital and sees Padme again, she isn't showing and tells him she's pregnant. A short time later, at the end of the film, she's showing a little and gives birth to full term, good size twins. And her obstetrician was so bad that no one knew she was carrying twins.
&gt;
&gt; 3) When she's about to give birth, the robot obstetrician says: "there's
nothing physically wrong with her, but she's dying". And is answered "she's given up the will to live". Well healthy people do not just give up the will to live and die. And any normal woman would consider the birth of twins a pretty good reason to live, even if their father has turned out to be evil.
&gt;
&gt; There could have been some easy fixes to the story to make it make sense.
&gt;
&gt; 1) Anniken should have had some deep seated anxiety that Padme would be destroyed by some evil. Then it would have been very dramatic and a self-fullfilling prophesy (and a kind of poetic justice) when he is the evil that destroys her.
&gt;
&gt; 2) She should have given birth to 2 tiny, very premature babies.
&gt;
&gt; 3)We know that Luke and Lea are "orphans" (not really since their father is more or less alive) so Padme has to die. It would have been simple and much more realistic and dramatic for her to have been injured when Anniken strikes her so that she is bleeding internally and has to have an emergency Cesarean section (maybe even by Obi Wan Kenobi in the field to save the babies) and then dies from the injuries which could not be treated in time.
&gt;
&gt; And BTW, the best line of the film (although there weren't actually that many lines) was taken from "Bridge Over the River Kwai".
&gt;
&gt; Velvet

More
31 May 2005 20:34 #1373 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Re: Star Wars - Episode III
Not good at the bracket thingees so comments here will address your comments....

Busy? Yeah, kinda agree there, I guess I understood the reason behind it but it did chop around a lot. I guess my qualm was the busyness of the scenes inside the busyness of jumping around. I thought the whole Wookie scene was just to cameo Chewbacca and kind of a waste. However, cinematically, the "beach invasion" I thought was the coolest scene visually in the whole movie. I'll refrain from comparing it explicitly to any scene in Saving Private Ryan (in terms of significance or quality), especially on the heels of Memorial Day, but drew a brief, mental sci-fi comparison from me.....

Rapid transformation? I thought was kinda quick but necessary. I thought it was totally set up in AofC with the sand people massacre. Where he says "I killed them! I killed them all!" you knew then he was a little on edge and on his way (once you got past his acting) over to the 'other side'..... I guess his disagreement with the Jedis was also planted near the last scenes in AofC where he threatened expulsion (do Jedi's get expelled?) when he wanted to ditch Dooku and go back and save Padme when she was thrown overboard (don't those transports have doors or seat belts?) God, I sound like one of those convention guys, don't I?

Lucas's writing? Well, he came up with the whole storyline so I'll cut him some slack. The last three (first three) were a little 'different' storywise but they were kinda painted in a corner with how it was gonna come out. If The Awakening becomes half as much part of pop culture as Lucas's tale, I'll be happy...

Lucas's direction? True, two of the best ones (IMO) were the ones he didn't direct, but let's not hurt his feelings! haha Probably not the best director, but certainly not the worst -- I loved American Graffiti.

Peace
LF

Some comments from me and my fiancée from another board, with a few later emendations in brackets:

&lt;&lt;You've got everthing right here except the spelling of Anakin's name.

Other problems with the movie:

It was too BUSY. There were so many battles on so many planets that there wasn't time to relate to them. It was like watching the Cliff's notes instead of the actual story (and how come it takes only a few hours to get from the capital planet to the most remote worlds, and back again?).

The only time I though the movie was at all emotionally involving was when the scene of Padme giving birth was cross-cut with that of Darth Vader getting his makeover -- the images of new life versus living death were effective. And the fadeout against the double sunset of Tatooine resonated with Luke watching the same double sunset in the original STAR WARS. Note that none of these scenes were action scenes.

Lucas should have spent more time on the story. The transformation of Anakin from just a headstrong youth into a ruthless murderer is simply too sudden and unbelievable. There should have been some foreshadowingof this in THE PHANTOM MENACE and ATTACK OF THE CLONES, but there WASN'T. Yoda could talk of "much anger" in him, but nothing of the sort is ever SHOWN. You have to show, not tell.

[Note: I have since been reminded that Anakin slaughtered a village of sand people in CLONES. But if that slipped my mind, it apparently slipped everyone's mind in the movie as well as there are no references to it. But I'm told there ARE references to incidents in a series of on-line CLONE WARS videos, which few moviegoers have seen, and which must render a lot of the battle scenes confusing to those moviegoers.]

Except for Ian McDarmid as Palpatine, the acting was poor. And the dialogue was weak. But we already knew that Lucas can't direct and can't write; that's why the best movie of the series was THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK.

[Sure, the writing and acting in the original STAR WARS weren't that great. But there, the dialogue had a kind of naive charm, because it was never as pompous as what we've seen in the prequels.]

--BTE

--- In Aurora_Universe_Readers@yahoogroups.com, Velvet <mnfs0111@y...&gt; wrote:
&gt;
&gt; Just got back from seeing Star Wars Episode III with Brantley, and we were both underwhelmed to put it mildly.
&gt;
&gt; Many things wrong with the plot, what there was of it, but I'd like to mention just some.

&gt; 1) Anniken's motive for going over to the Dark Side is his fear that his wife, Padme, will die in childbirth. Now, why would a young, healthy woman living in the Galactic Capital die in childbirth? I kept on wanting to shout "if you're so worried, just take her to a good hospital"
&gt;
&gt; 2) When Anniken returns to the Capital and sees Padme again, she isn't showing and tells him she's pregnant. A short time later, at the end of the film, she's showing a little and gives birth to full term, good size twins. And her obstetrician was so bad that no one knew she was carrying twins.
&gt;
&gt; 3) When she's about to give birth, the robot obstetrician says: "there's
nothing physically wrong with her, but she's dying". And is answered "she's given up the will to live". Well healthy people do not just give up the will to live and die. And any normal woman would consider the birth of twins a pretty good reason to live, even if their father has turned out to be evil.
&gt;
&gt; There could have been some easy fixes to the story to make it make sense.
&gt;
&gt; 1) Anniken should have had some deep seated anxiety that Padme would be destroyed by some evil. Then it would have been very dramatic and a self-fullfilling prophesy (and a kind of poetic justice) when he is the evil that destroys her.
&gt;
&gt; 2) She should have given birth to 2 tiny, very premature babies.
&gt;
&gt; 3)We know that Luke and Lea are "orphans" (not really since their father is more or less alive) so Padme has to die. It would have been simple and much more realistic and dramatic for her to have been injured when Anniken strikes her so that she is bleeding internally and has to have an emergency Cesarean section (maybe even by Obi Wan Kenobi in the field to save the babies) and then dies from the injuries which could not be treated in time.
&gt;
&gt; And BTW, the best line of the film (although there weren't actually that many lines) was taken from "Bridge Over the River Kwai".
&gt;
&gt; Velvet

More
Time to create page: 0.045 seconds