Amount

Front Page Layout

16 Dec 2015 04:54 #45682 by fats
Replied by fats on topic Front Page Layout
What do people think of the 5 posts showing rather than the 10 previously, I'm a fan of working in fives in lists (5, 10, 15...) woodclaw suggested 8 as a good number for posts showing I disagree with him on that number for me it's either 5 or 10. What do people think.

On the matter of putting the donation or "me, myself and I" beside the masthead, that will not work as the background colour will drown out the module, so that's not a option.

Is there anything else that I can do on the front page that people would like to see, let me know.

Fats

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• fats
  • fats's Avatar Topic Author
  • SWM - Administrator
  • SWM - Administrator
More
16 Dec 2015 05:43 #45683 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Front Page Layout
5 seems a little shallow sometimes.

I'm pretty sure that at only 5, I'll come in and have threads roll off the screen and I'd miss them unless I purposely went looking for them.

I seem to recall a lot of the time a new blog post also gets a Forum post too. I'd have to scroll down to see Story Comments anyway. ( I am so far behind and owe a lot of comments.)

• TwiceOnThursdays
  • Uberposter
  • Uberposter
More
16 Dec 2015 13:20 - 16 Dec 2015 14:00 #45684 by five_red
Replied by five_red on topic Front Page Layout

TwiceOnThursdays wrote: 5 seems a little shallow sometimes.

I'm pretty sure that at only 5, I'll come in and have threads roll off the screen and I'd miss them unless I purposely went looking for them.

For me (personally) I think the true value in those components is in alerting visitors to new and interesting discussion threads, rather than giving a dashboard of all the latest updates since your last visit. So it is more about promoting threads, and less about tracking every single posting to a thread. (IMHO, once you know a thread exists, you have to take some responsibility yourself to check on it periodically.) I suspect whatever size is chosen, people will complain that they're missing updates, depending upon how frequently they visit the page. My guess is that five is a nice compromise: if you only visit the site once every two or three days, you're still likely to see a current discussion appear in the most recent five at some point, and so become aware of it.

Perhaps, if it is possible without too much hassle, a static MORE... link could be added to the bottom of each list that leads directly to www.superwomenmania.com/index.php/forum/recent , etc..? That would be very convenient.

Overall I like the new design. It will take a little getting used to, but already it's easier to find the stuff I look for first when I come onto the site. I think the columns work well -- I'm not too bothered about what order they are in.

Btw: if you remove the "padding: 0.938rem;" rule from .g-content (hydrogen_9.css, line 22) then it tightens up a lot of the front page content, including getting rid of the vertical gap between the three columns and the material below. Possibly worth experimenting with.

Applause and heartfelt thanks to Fats, and everyone who worked on improving the site. Their efforts are much appreciated. You've created a great place (probably the greatest) for all true superheroine fans to hang out. I've particularly appreciated the tone of the recent CBS Supergirl discussion here, which has been much more informed and interesting than elsewhere. Other forums are full of comicbook fans who obsess continuously over the same half dozen discussions ("When will Superman show up?", "When will we get a Flash crossover?", "Why is Jimmy Olsen black?"...), or dominated by just three or four voices that ask the most inane questions ("Which Game of Thrones character would you most like to guest on Supergirl?"). SWM, however, has consistently offered some intelligent and thought-provoking debate. So cheers to all those involved..!

CHEERS!!!

R5

Supergirl Pre-Crisis Chronology: www.superwomenmania.com/supergirltl/
Supergirl: the Life and Times of Kara Zor-El: maidofmight.wordpress.com/
DeviantArt: 5red.deviantart.com/
Blog: x5red.tumblr.com/
Last edit: 16 Dec 2015 14:00 by five_red. Reason: Ambiguity fixed.

More
Time to create page: 0.065 seconds