Amount

Woman's Viewpoint

05 Jan 2013 13:19 #29971 by brantley
Woman's Viewpoint was created by brantley
www.brightempire.com/Evelyn.htm

Evelyn York, perhaps still best known as the inspiration for a story called "Paul," written by the man then known as Sharon Best, wrote the above for The Bright Empire back in 2005, about the time she contributed two chapters of a projected story about a superwoman named Katie. But she hasn't had anything new since "Fit for a Supergirl," which appeared last year. Maybe this year...

Evelyn's viewpoint is similar to that of Jordan Taylor, aka Ultragirl, whose work used to appear here as well as at my site; there's one story she began there, "The Popcorn War," that I've continued; and another. "Walking Tall," that I don't think I COULD continue. Jordan has retired from writing; I know why because I know who she really is and what she's doing these days, but my lips are sealed.

There have never been a lot of superwoman stories BY women, but perhaps we could all learn from Evelyn and Jordan and Lisa Binkley (With Lisa's permission, I recently posted her "Questlings," which had been in limbo for the last seven years.) Maybe we could attract more women fans and encourage more women writers to try their hands.

--Brantley
The following user(s) said Thank You: Woodclaw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• brantley
  • brantley's Avatar Topic Author
  • Uberposter of Distinction
More
05 Jan 2013 14:13 #29972 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Woman's Viewpoint
Thanks for sharing this with us Brantley. I remebered reading this (or another similar intervetion) on another site but, for the life of me, I couldn't find it again.
Although short is a great outline of how she sees the character and what a female reader might get out of a figure like Supergirl.

(formerly Anon, still Librarian)

"What is the point of having free will if one cannot occasionally spit in the eye of destiny?" ("Gentleman" John Marcone)

More
06 Jan 2013 02:42 - 06 Jan 2013 02:49 #29981 by somat
Replied by somat on topic Woman's Viewpoint
I may take a look at one of these authors stories in the future.

Always distinguish feminists(regardless of the gender maybe)from simply man-haters(spoken to myself).

somat
Last edit: 06 Jan 2013 02:49 by somat.

More
08 Jan 2013 17:14 #30018 by brantley
Replied by brantley on topic Woman's Viewpoint
Just came across this:

www.wbez.org/blogs/claire-zulkey/2013-01/small-wonders-104730

No indication that she has the slightest interest in superheroine fiction, but I suppose others who wore WW underwear as kids might.

• brantley
  • brantley's Avatar Topic Author
More
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds