Amount

Daddy Long-Legs Retelling Exerpts

27 Jan 2010 19:30 #18078 by Dr. Muttonchops
Daddy Long-Legs Retelling Exerpts was created by Dr. Muttonchops
Hey, everyone! I decided to take the 1912 classic novel "Daddy Long-Legs" by Jean Webster and rewrite short passages from it to suit our purposes. The story is about a girl named Jerusha Abbott, who later changes her name to Judy, who was an orphan, being but through college by a mysterious, tall benefactor whom she dubs "Daddy Long-Legs" Basically the entire book is comprised of letters she writes to him. Please enjoy and be kind! :D

October 1st.

Dear Daddy Long-Legs.

They are organizing the Freshman basket-ball team
and I should make it! I've always been the fastest and
strongest orphan at the Home, but even here I'm
making an impression! No matter how high the girls
can jump, I can leap ever so much higher! I am able
to jump clear across the field in one bound! The
girls are rather envious of me and say that they've
never seen anything like it, as I make a basket every
time! I'm even much quicker than the rest of them as well!
Oh, if only you could see me now, I know you'd be very
proud of me! These are the happiest girls I've ever seen,
and I'm the happiest of them all! In ten minutes I'm due at
the atheletic field in gymnasium clothes to make short work
of the other team once again! I know I shouldn't be so overly
confident, but with the amazing speed and grace I was blessed
with, it's hard to stay straight faced!

Yours Always,

Jerusha Abbott

October 25th

Dear Daddy Long Legs,

I've made the basket-ball team! my nemisis Julia Pendleton tried for the team,
but she didn't make it, Hooray! Also, something extraordinary happened! During
practice, I mistimed my jump and crashed headlong into the pole supporting the
basket,knocking both over, along with myself. The girls all rushed to my aid
expecting the worst, but to their amazement, their fears were unfounded, as
I was completely unharmed! Stranger still, where I had collided with the pole
was a deep indentation, the school's nurse was incredibly kind and said that
nothing was the matter with me. she was puzzled herself, as she said I should
have at least suffered a bruise. I shall let you know if anything else of the
bizarre occurs.

Judy Abbott

September 25th

Dear Daddy Long-Legs,

Behold me, a sophomore! And will wonders never cease! Today, as I was taking
a walk around the campus, when a rather strong gust of wind blew my nice hat
off and under a Model T that was parked nearby. I tried to reach underneath
to reach it, but to no avail. Frustrated, I lost my temper, and tried to lift
it up in desperation to reach my hat. You will not believe what I'm about to
tell you, which does not bother me, as I am still coming to terms with it myself,
but the automobile actually lifted completely off the ground! I couldn't believe
it, Daddy, in my meek, slender frame was contained the strength of over one
hundered men! It was something that only seemed possible in the tomes of Greek
Mythology! What was even stranger and more wonderful, was that it felt completely
weightless! I experimented by shifting the entire vehicle's weight into my left hand
alone, to the same result! I was so excited by this, that I almost forgot to set the
auto down gently, and nearly dropped upside down! Thankfully, I came to my senses and
placed it down gently. I was then so elated that I lept for joy, and hovered in mid-air!
Another miracle! I tried some more experimentation, and found I was able to propel myself
through the air! It was breathtakingly extroadinary! I even reached the clouds, Daddy! I
flew with a flock of geese that were passing by, they seemed eager to escape from me,
though I meant them no harm, I just assumed they'd never seen a flying girl before. I
soared around in the air with ease, taking to the sky as a duckling takes to water! While
enjoying myself, I heard the chapel bell chiming the hour, and realized that I had to get
back to class! I landed gracefully on my feet, and walked back towards campus, grateful no
one had seen me, as I would be treated as odd if my gifts were made known. I assume that
someone else is weaing my lovely hat now, but it doesn't matter to me, as raelizing I have
these knew gifts are far more important! I know you will believe me and know that I am not
fibbing, as you are a good and kind man. I shall write to you soon.

Yours,

Judy Abbott

November 12th

Dear Daddy Long-Legs,

I am a heroine! Today, I had just gotten back from a basket-ball match, and was still
in my gynasium clothing, when I heard a distressed shriek from outside! I peeked my head
out the window, and saw an unsavory man in a coat grabbing my friend Sallie McBride, and
trying to lead her toward his vehicle. No one was around to help her, so I decided to
step in myself, I took a black eyemask from the dresser that I had worn to a masquerade
party, and donned it. I then lept from my tower room, and landed directly in front of
the fiend, I stood bravely before him with arms akimbo and I said some dramatic thing such
as "Halt your deviancy, practitioner of evil! You shall prey upon the innocent no longer!"
The man, grimaced sourly as he cast Sallie aside and produced a pistol from his pocket!
Sally got behind me and quivered as he took aim. I believed it was to be the end of me,
Daddy, but upon his firing, the lead projectiles merely bounced off my chest with no ill
effects to myself, it didn't even hurt, in fact, it rather tickled! I had to restrain
myself from giggling. The man's face then went white with fear, as he attempted to flee
back to his automobile! Then, a great amount of righteous fury burned inside of me! I
wasn't about to let this ruffian get away! As he put his auto into gear and attempted to
drive away, I grabbed the moving vehicle from the back, and pulled it towards me, I
uncerimoniously yanked the man from his automobile and flew him to the policeman's office.
After turning him over to the authorities, I returned to my room. Sallie was there waiting
for me, she promised she would keep her witnessing my gifts in action a secret. I know I'll
be able to trust her, Daddy, she's just as kind as you. I did allow her to go flying with
me, she had ever so much fun! I must be going now, as it's late, I know you'll be able to
keep this a secret as well.

Your Heroine,

Judy Abbott

April 23rd

Dear Dadd Long-Legs,

While I was vacationing away from the school, I recieved an urgent letter from Mrs.
Lippett, asking me to return to the John Grier Home for "a pressing matter" as she
described it. So I regretfully left the bosom of the McBrides vacation home, and traveled
to the home, upon my arriving, I was greeted warmly by all the new, young orphans, and
Mrs. Lippett herself. She congratulated me on my writing, then, after the young ones had
been put to sleep, she led me to a wooded area behind the home, telling me that it was time
I learned of my parentage! I was shocked and suprised to say the least! She uncovered a
medium sized mound of dirt, to reveal a small, rocket type device, like something from the
pages of Jules Verne! Mrs. Lippett then took a deep breath and explained to me that this
was an extraterrastrial craft that I had arrived in as an infant! I couldn't believe it,
I was not of this world! All of my supernatural abilities came to my mind, and finally
there was a rational explanation for all of them. I was rather livid at Mrs. Lippett for
not telling me, and I asked her why she had not done so. She replied that she had wanted me
to live a normal life without feeling like I was somehow different. I told her about all
my gifts, and she responded that she assumed that I would develop special abilities,
therefore facilitating the need for our meeting for this revelation. I no longer felt
angry with her, instead, I was grateful to her for telling me the truth at last, and
I was off. Now that I am back at the vacation house, I have made a decision, Daddy. aside
from my career as an author, I will use my amazing powers to assist humankind as a
mighty crusader of justice! Who knows? I just may rise through the ranks of other great
superpowered women of lore such as Heraclea, and the legendary Mightora! I know you'll
be with me every step of the way, Daddy!

Your Superheroine,

The Mighty Judy Abbott!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Dr. Muttonchops
  • Dr. Muttonchops's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
27 Jan 2010 20:49 #18079 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Re: Daddy Long-Legs Retelling Exerpts
Given the fact that I have never read the original novel, I think that these shorts are very enjoyable. It's a nice departure from your usual work and a very well done one.

More
27 Jan 2010 23:55 #18080 by yaracyrrah
Replied by yaracyrrah on topic Re: Daddy Long-Legs Retelling Exerpts
Cool!

More
01 Feb 2010 00:58 #18116 by argonaut
Replied by argonaut on topic Re: Daddy Long-Legs Retelling Exerpts
Very nice! I've never read the novel either (though I've seen the movie with Leslie Caron and Fred Astaire), but your prose captures Judy's personality while evoking the time period. As a "good" supergirl fan, I'm quite taken with your heroine, and hope you continue with her story.

I'm thinking that Judy is Kara, sent to Earth instead of Kal-El and raised in an orphanage without being adopted. Is that what you had in mind?

Oh, and thanks for referencing Mightora! That was one of my better-received stories -- maybe I should write a sequel (in between chapters of "The Supergirl of Smallville"). But Judy might have mentioned Atalanta among the "superpowered women of yore."

More
01 Feb 2010 06:30 #18117 by JKIJ
Replied by JKIJ on topic Re: Daddy Long-Legs Retelling Exerpts
I don't think I've ever heard of that novel. It doesn't make the slightest bit of difference, though. This is nice and you can feel Judy's sense of wonder as she discovers what she's capable of.

I do hope we see more, but if not this is a good place to end.

More
Time to create page: 0.055 seconds