Amount

Embassy Brat

19 Jan 2020 19:15 #66484 by shadar
Embassy Brat was created by shadar
Along with everything else I'm writing, I've decided to start sharing a story that I've been tinkering with for years -- Embassy Brat. 

Of all my stories to date, this is my most "autobiographical", albeit obviously fantastically extended and enhanced for this genre. The guy in the story, Jon Duncan, might as well have been me way back, long ago in high school. As in, bottom of the social order but geeky and nerdy before those words were even invented, but a complete social misfit who was brilliant at math and science but nothing else. 

And Jennie is an expression of the amazing girl from another school in another town who became my girlfriend for a couple years, and who is the inspiration for many of the qualities that would later become the fictional Velorians. She could do things I've never seen anyone else do, and she had a Velorian's libido, that unfortunately was spread a lot wider than I knew at the time.  Everyone in this story has a human analog from my real life from the 1960's. 

So I figured I'd tell my story the way my heavily-edited memories and a monstrous heaping of imagination wished it had worked out, nearly 50 years ago. 

But... you don't need to know any of that if you enjoy a classic Velorian story, set on a distant world populated by Terrans and involving deadly enemies of anyone born human.

Part One is up on the site, and it sets the stage and introduces the initial characters as they get into some over-the-top trouble. The kind of trouble only a Velorian girl and a socially misfit guy could get into.   

Part Two will show Jon and Jennie escaping planet Egland to head toward a wormhole in their cobbled-together junker of a starship to have strange and wonderful adventures -- on a world that is supposed to be Nirvana but actually hides a deadly threat to all humanity. 

Part Three will follow Jon and Jennie as they make their way from Nirvana to the Rim to confront this new threat. Think Firefly's outer planets with a few twists. They will ultimately arrive on a world that is being created as I write this by another author here, Klaus, who is working on his own story about a retired and reclusive ex-Protector who is on the Galen's hit list because of her now illegal genetics. I'll let him tell his own story when he publishes, but we are going to share his world-building on a strangely wonderful but dangerous Rim World.

This has always been one of the fun things about writing in the AU -- authors sharing world-building and story concepts and maybe a few characters along with a bit of imagined history. 

Shadar
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, Raa, slim36, mastadon, Dru1076, kshoo, ChaozCloud, Revan, guimachajo1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• shadar
  • shadar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
19 Jan 2020 22:34 #66485 by Klaus
Replied by Klaus on topic Embassy Brat
Ursala is really hot, even for a protector. I feel like this should be commented on at some point.

This story has provided... context for Hilda and Jasmine's relationship. There will probably a joke or two about how amazingly open Vels are to casual sex, in a way that makes Hilda view Jasmine in a more interesting light.

More
20 Jan 2020 01:18 #66486 by guimachajo1
Replied by guimachajo1 on topic Embassy Brat
This story is very good. and collects an idea of ​​many stories of series and youth books, in which a gek or misfit @ and despised teenager finds a friend or friend and apart from becoming boyfriends. It helps you improve and not have social skills or focus on your world of science, comic, books etc; It has opened up to the world.when I studied from sixth to eighth of the E.G.B. or even in college, that was one of my dreams and even now 30 years later. It never happened and this story has come back to remember. thanks.

One question, is this story going to have three parts? or there will be more. Thanks and waiting for the new chapters or parts

More
20 Jan 2020 02:00 - 20 Jan 2020 02:02 #66487 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Embassy Brat

guimachajo1 wrote: This story is very good. and collects an idea of ​​many stories of series and youth books, in which a gek or misfit @ and despised teenager finds a friend or friend and apart from becoming boyfriends. It helps you improve and not have social skills or focus on your world of science, comic, books etc; It has opened up to the world.when I studied from sixth to eighth of the E.G.B. or even in college, that was one of my dreams and even now 30 years later. It never happened and this story has come back to remember. thanks.

One question, is this story going to have three parts? or there will be more. Thanks and waiting for the new chapters or parts

Yes, it is a 3 part story, each one about as long as Part 1. Check my comment below for the focus of each part. 

Glad you like the story, which is kind of from my high school self — albeit 50 years later.

shadar 
Last edit: 20 Jan 2020 02:02 by shadar.
The following user(s) said Thank You: guimachajo1

• shadar
More
20 Jan 2020 07:05 #66493 by guimachajo1
 Thanks, when I read this first part, I thought because I never met a girl like her (even if it was neither velorian nor krypterran).I look forward to reading the rest of the story.Every story and story of yours is a joy,
always surprise.
I repeat thank you very much

More
23 Jan 2020 12:03 #66551 by The Highlander
Replied by The Highlander on topic Embassy Brat
I enjoyed the first part, some good world building and I thoughtit was quite funny to have a mother annoyed at her rebellious teenage daughter
for not wearing revealing clothes or sleeping around!

Although when I read about Jennie's plan with the rock I guessedit wasn't going to end well. I am slightly surprised they didn't miscalculate
and almost drop it on the town. Still, it will be interesting to see how much trouble
they end up in (I suspect a lot).

More
23 Jan 2020 15:35 #66558 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Embassy Brat

The Highlander wrote: I enjoyed the first part, some good world building and I thoughtit was quite funny to have a mother annoyed at her rebellious teenage daughter
for not wearing revealing clothes or sleeping around!

Although when I read about Jennie's plan with the rock I guessedit wasn't going to end well. I am slightly surprised they didn't miscalculate
and almost drop it on the town. Still, it will be interesting to see how much trouble
they end up in (I suspect a lot).

I always find it fun to bash together the cultural expectations between Terrans and the invulnerable, superhuman Supremis (in this case Velorians). As with all mothers, they expect their kids to live up to their own cultural norms and expectations. Which Jennie does not. 

Although dropping the twins into a conventional High School was a ridiculously disruptive thing to do -- to the other kids and teachers.. But the only way to learn how to live among Terrans and to be properly socialized is to dive in. 

I'm sure that none of us would have complained if a pair of Velorian twins had dropped into our High School. I'm probably underplaying the impact of that hormonal bomb going off. And Jennie rejecting the crowd that you'd expect her to join and hanging out with a geeky, nerd who nobody else likes. 

Shadar

• shadar
More
23 Jan 2020 15:56 #66560 by guimachajo1
if a couple of velorian or kryptonians had entered my institute, that would have been a bombshell. the problem would have been that they would become the center of everything. and everyone would have tried.I can assure you that in my case I would have screwed up that I wouldn't know how to narrate it.
I want to see how the protagonists are doing and if the ambassador's assistant joins the couple or helps them as they stop their experiment.

More
26 Jan 2020 05:44 #66621 by guimachajo1
Excuse me. So, this Sunday, we don't have 2 part.

More
Time to create page: 0.066 seconds