Amount

What are they selling in Anaheim?!

20 Apr 2010 20:03 #18822 by Random321
What are they selling in Anaheim?! was created by Random321
From the Anaheim Comic Con:

Anybody know what company these girls are selling for? Did they really just hire some strippers to come out and dance in costume? I figure some of you will love this. I like sex appeal ~ but not straight objectification so I'm not so sure about this:

Discuss, vote ~ or not?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Random321
  • Random321's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
20 Apr 2010 20:14 #18823 by oldHarmonyMotion
Replied by oldHarmonyMotion on topic Re: What are they selling in Anaheim?!
I find the whole sex appeal/objectifying thing overblown. Face it, comic book females generally ooze sex appeal. I have no problem with them hiring a bunch of dancers.

By definition, comic books are drawing superheroes: people who are above and beyond human. They're going to be super powerful, and why shouldn't they be super attractive? Should they be strong and average looking to appease the female crowd in order to stop the cry of "objectifying women?" Why can't a superhero simply be sexy and powerful without these sort of objections?

Of course, the males are dressed in spandex and have muscles upon muscles, but nobody is upset that they "objectify men."

If you argue that these dancers simply kill the soul of the character and only sell the sex part, I think you're just blowing it out of proportion.

• oldHarmonyMotion
More
20 Apr 2010 21:21 #18825 by Random321
Replied by Random321 on topic Re: What are they selling in Anaheim?!
To be clear ~ I think I fall in the middle. "Let them do what they want; you and I don’t have to look."

I guess I selfishly wish they had taken the talent and done a skit with a story and a dance in the same outfits rather than a dance.

However, that’s my bias.

There is talent and effort in the dancing also. So maybe do a mix of men and women who both look the "beyond human" part.

I think I just react to how male heroes are “super attractive” and have a story. While often female heroes are just “super attractive” canon fodder with no story to the publishing companies and/or fans. That’s the part I don’t like and I worry this kind of stuff re-enforces.

• Random321
  • Random321's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
20 Apr 2010 21:27 #18826 by oldHarmonyMotion
I'm not a very avid comic book reader, but I have read a few (Silver age Supergirl, current Supergirl, Broadway Comics, some random She-hulk and maybe an issue of Wonder Woman) and I don't feel as if they have any less story than their male counterparts.

Some of the storylines may suck, but I don't think it's because they're trying to sell the sex part. I think they just had some bad storytelling :)

• oldHarmonyMotion
More
21 Apr 2010 14:34 #18832 by jdrock24
Replied by jdrock24 on topic Re: What are they selling in Anaheim?!
I picked "Let them do what they want". However, I would hope that parents would keep their children away from it. I know I would, especially my little girl.

By the way, here is that dance group's website. Don't think there is anything "super" related on it:

www.purrfectangelz.com/pa/welcome/welcome.html

More
21 Apr 2010 16:10 #18833 by Alexxx
Replied by Alexxx on topic Re: What are they selling in Anaheim?!

There is talent and effort in the dancing also. So maybe do a mix of men and women who both look the "beyond human" part.

Not if they act as bad as they dance. I couldn't believe it when I saw they were a dance troupe. Could not bring myself to watch the second link, it was painful.

However noticed in the first clip the two cops were sure glued to the show lol.

More
02 May 2010 20:09 #18943 by superheroinebabes
Replied by superheroinebabes on topic more

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

here's more pics of them here:
www.flickr.com/photos/sdoorly/sets/72157623762769075/

• superheroinebabes
More
02 May 2010 21:56 #18944 by supian
Replied by supian on topic Re: What are they selling in Anaheim?!
Only in the states you'd get someone moaning and posting yt clips on the same post :roll: You Yanks crack me up

From the Anaheim Comic Con:

Anybody know what company these girls are selling for? Did they really just hire some strippers to come out and dance in costume? I figure some of you will love this. I like sex appeal ~ but not straight objectification so I'm not so sure about this:

Discuss, vote ~ or not?

More
02 May 2010 22:00 #18945 by oldHarmonyMotion

Only in the states you'd get someone moaning and posting yt clips on the same post :roll: You Yanks crack me up

He is discussing the clip. I'm not sure what's laughable about that

• oldHarmonyMotion
More
02 May 2010 22:34 #18946 by supian
Replied by supian on topic Re: What are they selling in Anaheim?!
It's a cmic convention FFS! What do you expect? :roll: Only in the states from the Yanks...

He is discussing the clip. I'm not sure what's laughable about that

More
02 May 2010 22:46 #18947 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic Re: What are they selling in Anaheim?!
I think this poll is missing the point. Comic Cons are about having FUN and getting to do stuff that you always wished you could do.

I find some of the comments about the dance routines laughable. Two years ago I finished a Ten year stint of watching my daughter at numerous
dance competitions, including nationals every other year in Las Vegas. You would not believe some of the routines they have 8-10 year old girls doing, let alone those in junior high. It is a whole different world out there and pretty much, just about anything goes.

In terms of skill, I can assure you that these are not pro or even semi-pro dancers. They are just a group of nice looking girls that have learned some simple routines. To me, they looked like they were having fun, and I think the folks watching enjoyed themselves as well.

More
03 May 2010 22:02 #18953 by jdrock24
Replied by jdrock24 on topic Re: What are they selling in Anaheim?!

I think this poll is missing the point. Comic Cons are about having FUN and getting to do stuff that you always wished you could do.

I find some of the comments about the dance routines laughable. Two years ago I finished a Ten year stint of watching my daughter at numerous
dance competitions, including nationals every other year in Las Vegas. You would not believe some of the routines they have 8-10 year old girls doing, let alone those in junior high. It is a whole different world out there and pretty much, just about anything goes.

In terms of skill, I can assure you that these are not pro or even semi-pro dancers. They are just a group of nice looking girls that have learned some simple routines. To me, they looked like they were having fun, and I think the folks watching enjoyed themselves as well.

I went to my eight year old niece's dance recital about two year's ago and I couldn't believe the moves they were having those little girls do. I felt very uncomfortable watching it. My wife and I made a promise right afterward that we would never let our daughter participate in a trashy event like that. So that's why I said I wouldn't let my daughter watch something like this. I guess I'm just too protective of my little girl...

By the way, I never said that I wouldn't stop to watch if I was sans kid. I think that it does fit with what comic cons are about.

More
04 May 2010 03:41 #18954 by yohashuan
Replied by yohashuan on topic Re: What are they selling in Anaheim?!
Put my name down in the pro hot chicks dressed like superheroines column.

More
04 May 2010 04:54 #18955 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic Re: What are they selling in Anaheim?!
Unfortunately, Comic Con is now somewhat of a misnomer. The comic book sellers and Artists are getting pushed/priced right out of the building. A much more accurate term would be Sci Fi Entertainment com.

My wife and I attended Comic Con 2009 in San Diego, and the media/entertainment presence was overwhelming. Several thousand people stood in line outside for two days just to get into the Twilight conferences. The gamers and their professional models were there, along with the G4 network, Marvel, DC and Bongo. If you wanted your picture taken with a larger than life Bart Simpson or Ironman Statue, you were in the right place. And then there was Sponge Bob and Patrick (got some great pics) along with Storm Trooper Elvis, Darth Vader and the Ninja Turtles.

For the engineers out there, even the mythbusters were there. There were a few people selling comics and several big name artists present. I had a nice chat with Ray Loppresi (Wonder Woman Artist) and I got a nice picture of him as well.

The bottom line is that the studios, gamers, media and Marvel DC (read Time Warner) Have much deeper pockets than Joe's Classic Comics, and the little comic guys are going to get priced right out of the market. It is an entertainment spectacle, and a great way for companies to promote their products and increase their business, be it movies, games or TV. And pretty much everyone I saw was having fun, myself and my wife included.

More
04 May 2010 14:21 #18956 by yohashuan
Replied by yohashuan on topic Re: What are they selling in Anaheim?!
SDCC and E3 have become the geek-chic industry's two signpost events.

If you want your actual comic book dork fix, there's always GooberCon 2010 or whatever hundreds of other smalltime shows there are.

Personally I'm glad the culture has shifted to the point where a comic book convention is THE main event for the entertainment industry -- even if it includes dancing sluts dressed like superheroines (especially if it includes dancing sluts...)[/i]

More
07 May 2010 03:29 #18996 by Alexxx
Replied by Alexxx on topic Re: What are they selling in Anaheim?!
Well I can't imagine why high profile industry types would not want to take over something called Goobercon :lol:

More
Time to create page: 0.064 seconds