Amount

Another "Ideas for the next workshop theme" Thread

10 Jan 2012 06:10 #25893 by njae
The polls for the last workshop have been closed for quite some time so I think it may be good to start thinking about the next workshop theme now. It may not be clear which one (GeekSeven or JKIJ) gets to choose the next theme, but this shouldn't affect the suggestions.

It feels kinda weird to open up this thread while not having participated in a single workshop so far, but this actually brings me to my suggestion:

Missed Opportunities: SGI Workshop Themes reloaded
- The themes from the earlier workshops have little chance to be reused as a theme, although it's still possible to find new ways to implement these themes. My idea is to let these themes be reused, meaning that every entry has to follow at least one of the old themes. This also gives the authors a lot of freedom.

There have been 15 long story workshops so far, and ignoring the two workshops of last year that used the SWM Name, this still leaves 13 themes:

SGI Workshop 1.1: short story based on any of the twenty (20) "I Wish I Was Super Too" gallery pics (or a similar situation with a comic book character).
SGI Workshop 1.2: Ubergirl vs. Army
SGI Workshop 1.3: Ubergirl vs. Ubergirl
SGI Workshop 1.4: Someone gets superpowers and this makes someone else upset
SGI Workshop 1.5: An individual/group/organisation possesses/creates/obtains a weapon which he/she/they believe can bring down an ubergirl.
SGI Workshop 1.6: A Superwoman changes sides Good <==> Bad
SGI Workshop 1.7: Sibling Rivalry
SGI Workshop 1.8: In a world of superheroes and villains (original or published comic universe, your choice), an ubergirl obtains even more power than anyone else.
SGI Workshop 1.9: To Be Continued! Try your hand at writing a sequel/continuation to an SWM or ubergirl classic piece of fiction -- whether it be your own or someone else's
SGI Workshop 1.10: Tales of the Transformatrix ... stories set in the world of SWM's interactive saga "Transformatrix 4000."
SGI Workshop 1.11: "If YOU were hired as a writer to fill-in during the strike, spin YOUR favorite ubergirl tale in any series you like"
SGI Workshop 1.12: Villainess Month
SGI Workshop 1.13: National Supergirl

Another idea I just had would be "I want you to write ____" - This is loosely inspired by the villainess month of SGI WS 1.12 where everybodys villainess had been known before. First everybody willing to submit a story has to anounce it, then each participant decides the theme for another participant.
I don't really think this would work out in practice though.
The topic has been locked.
  • njae
  • njae's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
10 Jan 2012 14:21 #25898 by Woodclaw
I have forwarded this idea a couple of times before, but it never cut the deal: a Generational or Family story. What inspired me was John Byrne's Elseworld "Generations" and the Marvel MC2 line. Both about having comic book character aging and eventually passing their legacy to new heroes/villains.
In a sense this can be considered the counterpart to the "Sibling Rivalry" workshop. The sotry can take any angle or direction, as long as it involves family.
More
10 Jan 2012 19:04 #25899 by Caylane
I'll take a shot and give my two cents.

Some types of stories I love reading is origin stories. When a womans life is completely changed once she is transformed into the ubergirl of the story. Perhaps maybe a workshop titled "Choosing their path" where its about learning what they could really do and decide what to use their powers for, being a heroine, villainess or perhaps just having fun.
More
11 Jan 2012 02:03 #25901 by njae
The "family" theme sounds interesting, as it also covers the "secret legacy" scenario (woman disovers on of her parents are/were super and her powers emerge shortly after).

The "Choosing their path" theme is a bit too similar to last years "New beginnings" theme where every story was an origin story of sorts. Don't get me wrong, I love origin stories, especially when the origin includes physical transformation and of course the most common superpower. It's just that it was used recently and pretty much every theme makes it possible to include an origin story by default.

If it was a shortstory workshop (the last one was over 5 years ago) I'd be all for "Woman gets super" - just to see how creative the reasons for a woman getting super powers can get.

Another idea from me would be "Nice girl runs out of patience" - So this is the woman that's nice to everyone and thinks that even the most evil person on earth deserves a second chance, or a third, fourth, fifth... until one day someone really crosses her line. Now she's pissed, which means no Joker immunity for anybody. At the end of the day she'll still be the good girl, but whoever pissed her of won't live until then.
  • njae
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
11 Jan 2012 03:06 #25902 by Woodclaw

njae wrote: The "family" theme sounds interesting, as it also covers the "secret legacy" scenario (woman disovers on of her parents are/were super and her powers emerge shortly after).

That's a possible scenario, also "Sibling Rivalry" or a "Parents Comeback" (a supermom putting on the costume again to save her daughter).

njae wrote: Another idea from me would be "Nice girl runs out of patience" - So this is the woman that's nice to everyone and thinks that even the most evil person on earth deserves a second chance, or a third, fourth, fifth... until one day someone really crosses her line. Now she's pissed, which means no Joker immunity for anybody. At the end of the day she'll still be the good girl, but whoever pissed her of won't live until then.

There are already some stories with this theme (G7's Selene cames to mind), but I agree it will be agood workshop theme.
More
12 Jan 2012 04:24 #25912 by njae

Anon wrote:

njae wrote: Another idea from me would be "Nice girl runs out of patience" - So this is the woman that's nice to everyone and thinks that even the most evil person on earth deserves a second chance, or a third, fourth, fifth... until one day someone really crosses her line. Now she's pissed, which means no Joker immunity for anybody. At the end of the day she'll still be the good girl, but whoever pissed her of won't live until then.

There are already some stories with this theme (G7's Selene cames to mind), but I agree it will be agood workshop theme.

To clarify: This theme does NOT include the "Nice girl gets treated poorly, gets super powers and then takes revenge" scenario. If she gets her powers over the course of the story, then it has to be part of her revenge or at least she always had the option to gain them.

Thinking about it, this might work just as fine for a short story workshop...
  • njae
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
12 Jan 2012 08:20 #25914 by inactive
As Co-Executive-Vice-Joint-Winner of this workshop, I'm happy to concede all of the topic-choosing power to JKIJ. I'm really happy to have come near the top of the poll given the strength of this workshop - seriously, not a single weak story in the bunch - but I think JKIJ's story was better and more in harmony with the theme.

Also, I had a hand in coming up with the topics for the last two workshops. So this time around I will keep my mouth shut, other than to say that I love every idea that has been mentioned in this thread so far, and I will probably love any more ideas that come along.

I've hardly written a word since wrapping up my workshop story, but I hope that I get back in the groove in time to participate in the next workshop.

- GeekSeven
More
12 Jan 2012 15:19 #25916 by Woodclaw

njae wrote:

Anon wrote:

To clarify: This theme does NOT include the "Nice girl gets treated poorly, gets super powers and then takes revenge" scenario. If she gets her powers over the course of the story, then it has to be part of her revenge or at least she always had the option to gain them.

This explanation confuse me a little. Are you saying that the theme is not getting revenge because the character is treated poorly, but rather because she can't tendure the endless ballet between good and evil anymore?
More
12 Jan 2012 16:58 #25917 by njae

Anon wrote:

njae wrote:

Anon wrote:

This explanation confuse me a little. Are you saying that the theme is not getting revenge because the character is treated poorly, but rather because she can't tendure the endless ballet between good and evil anymore?

Actually both interpretations fit here. I just wanted to make sure that her revenge is caused by the villains behavior, not the fact that she suddenly has superpowers and CAN take revenge.
  • njae
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
12 Jan 2012 19:15 #25919 by SophiePortmane
Replied by SophiePortmane on topic Re: Another "Ideas for the next workshop theme" Thread
In my concern, I would love reading stories based on "jealousy" theme... Ok it's pretty weird, but I really like de the idea of unfairness! Some examples:
- among two sisters, only one of her become a superhuman goddess (the youngest)
- same with two girlfriends
- a girl who should have been super watch someone else getting super by mystake or any other reasons
- etc
Any times I've begun a story, I've always used this theme (but I've never finished my stories...)
More
12 Jan 2012 19:34 #25920 by njae

SophiePortmane wrote: In my concern, I would love reading stories based on "jealousy" theme... Ok it's pretty weird, but I really like de the idea of unfairness! Some examples:
- a girl who should have been super watch someone else getting super by mystake or any other reasons
- etc
Any times I've begun a story, I've always used this theme (but I've never finished my stories...)

This has actually been done before in

so it would be also covered in my original suggestion of reusing the old themes of the SGI workshops.
  • njae
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
12 Jan 2012 22:52 #25922 by Woodclaw

njae wrote:

SophiePortmane wrote: In my concern, I would love reading stories based on "jealousy" theme... Ok it's pretty weird, but I really like de the idea of unfairness! Some examples:
- etc

This has actually been done before in

so it would be also covered in my original suggestion of reusing the old themes of the SGI workshops.

Also sibling rivalry was already used (but for I can't remember how many entries that theme generated).
More
12 Jan 2012 23:02 #25923 by Woodclaw
Another rather broad idea that can be used is "blowing off the steam". In pretty much any setting I can think of ubergirls have some kind of restriction about using their powers. It might be maintaing a secret identity, fear of collateral damage, or simply the desire to keep an opponent guessing.
Still this might be tedious sometimes and the UG might decided to cut herself some slack and go all-out for once. Consequences will be tragic.

I know this idea border the pure self-indulgence of seeing blasting entire chunks of geography off the maps, but still it might produce some good fiction.
More
13 Jan 2012 00:36 #25924 by JKIJ
I can't say that I'm in any position to pick a new topic at the moment. I never thought I'd get close to winning, so I haven't thought about it at all. I'd be more than willing to open up the choice to a vote. What I think I would like though, if other people agree, is for the next workshop to be a short story workshop. I hadn't realised the last one was so long ago and I think I'd like to try my hand at writing something that I'm forced to keep from growing to be longer than I'd expected.

Keep the suggestions coming; the more the merrier.
More
13 Jan 2012 01:24 #25925 by Woodclaw

JKIJ wrote: I can't say that I'm in any position to pick a new topic at the moment. I never thought I'd get close to winning, so I haven't thought about it at all. I'd be more than willing to open up the choice to a vote. What I think I would like though, if other people agree, is for the next workshop to be a short story workshop. I hadn't realised the last one was so long ago and I think I'd like to try my hand at writing something that I'm forced to keep from growing to be longer than I'd expected.

Keep the suggestions coming; the more the merrier.

I don't know about the short format (the 1000 words workshops were a kind of speedbump between the long ones), but the vote was already put out of question with last workshop.
LFan clearlyu stated that picking a topic is a right/duty of the winner.
More
13 Jan 2012 05:28 #25927 by njae
I also like the idea of opening a new shortstory workshop, but I think it's better to open a separate thread for it and keep this thread only for themes for full-length stories.

Here's a list of what has been suggested so far:
Missed Opportunities: SGI Workshop Themes reloaded
"I want you to write ____"
Family
Origin story (similar to Spring 2011)
Nice girl runs out of patience
Jealousy (similar to SGI 1.4 and therefore contained in the old themes reloaded suggestion)
Blowing off the steam

Any other ideas?
  • njae
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
18 Jan 2012 13:56 #25961 by Jabbrwock
I really like the Missed Opportunities idea. Already know what I'm doing if that's the route we're taking.
More
18 Jan 2012 21:01 #25963 by eavatar
How about a desperate plan to stop a rampaging Ubbergirl? Like the govern doesn't know how to deal with her, the society is afraid of her powers, the other super persons don't want deal with her fearing for their lives... so it is time to a desperate measure to stop her, but what is it?

Going ahead is the only one way to go to the future.
The following user(s) said Thank You: N_S1701, Lulu
More
20 Jan 2012 11:48 #25971 by d_k_c
I like it
More
21 Jan 2012 03:49 #25975 by steelknight3000
Replied by steelknight3000 on topic Re: Another "Ideas for the next workshop theme" Thread

eavatar wrote: How about a desperate plan to stop a rampaging Ubbergirl? Like the govern doesn't know how to deal with her, the society is afraid of her powers, the other super persons don't want deal with her fearing for their lives... so it is time to a desperate measure to stop her, but what is it?

I like it! If it ends up being the theme, I'll submit a story.
More
21 Jan 2012 07:09 #25976 by deathgeonous
I'm not really a writer of Ubergirl fiction, more of a reader, though I do try at times, but the 'Rampaging Ubbergirl' idea sounds fun, and I think I'd like to see and read about that.
More
21 Jan 2012 09:18 #25977 by Caylane
Seems like this topic is growing more and more. Perhaps its time for a poll to decide what it will be?
More
21 Jan 2012 17:07 - 21 Jan 2012 17:07 #25982 by njae

Nicochara wrote: Seems like this topic is growing more and more. Perhaps its time for a poll to decide what it will be?

Actually, the winner of the current workshop decides for the next theme.
Last edit: 21 Jan 2012 17:07 by njae.
  • njae
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
21 Jan 2012 18:17 #25983 by Caylane

njae wrote:

Nicochara wrote: Seems like this topic is growing more and more. Perhaps its time for a poll to decide what it will be?

Actually, the winner of the current workshop decides for the next theme.

Ah, right right. My mistake. Mixed this up with the short story thread.
More
26 Jan 2012 23:25 #26029 by Caylane

- etc

I've read both of your stories and I agree, a jealousy theme would be pretty fun to read and in my opinion, there aren't many stories with said theme except
A select few I've seen.
More
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds