Amount

Winter 2013 Short Workshop - Suggestion Thread

24 Feb 2013 19:16 - 24 Feb 2013 19:17 #30541 by Woodclaw
I know that the Fall 2012 workshop is still on and many of you are still pondering how to cast their votes, but I want to begin preparation for the next short workshop. This way we should be able to launch this short workshop soon and have a (hopefully) more time to get the Spring 2013 long workshop underway.

Anyway LFan was the winner of the last short workshop, so he has thee honor of choosing.

Keep in mind that, due to the 1000 words limit, it's better to work with a very strict theme.

Now on with the suggestions.

Mine is rather simple (an maybe it was done in the past): "Caution. Superwoman at Work"
Last edit: 24 Feb 2013 19:17 by Woodclaw.
The topic has been locked.
  • Woodclaw
  • Woodclaw's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
04 Mar 2013 07:37 #30622 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Winter 2013 Short Workshop - Suggestion Thread
So, the Fall 2012 workshop is over, on with the next one.

As I said above LFan won the last short workshop (Summer 2012) and got to choose the topic for this one. Anybody who has a good idea, please post it here. BTW, since this is a short format workshop, it's better to have a rather restricting theme.
  • Woodclaw
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
04 Mar 2013 12:06 #30624 by giralfie
Replied by giralfie on topic Winter 2013 Short Workshop - Suggestion Thread
my idea is: "technology got no chance against superwomen"
More
04 Mar 2013 12:13 #30625 by skate79
A Woman's World: Tales from a Female Future - an inexplicable evolutionary leap means that all females are suddenly born invulnerable and several orders of magnitude stronger than the average male. How do the hopelessly outclassed men of this changing world adapt to a society where their girlfriends, wives, mothers, sisters, and even newborn daughters are thousands of times stronger than them?
More
04 Mar 2013 12:56 #30626 by kshoo
How about "Bumping into their alternate universe doppleganger"? Can apply to either a superheroine or villianess (since it features both anyway)
More
04 Mar 2013 12:59 #30627 by njae

skate79 wrote: A Woman's World: Tales from a Female Future - an inexplicable evolutionary leap means that all females are suddenly born invulnerable and several orders of magnitude stronger than the average male. How do the hopelessly outclassed men of this changing world adapt to a society where their girlfriends, wives, mothers, sisters, and even newborn daughters are thousands of times stronger than them?

And how do you want to fit this topic into 1000 words?
More
04 Mar 2013 14:38 #30628 by argonaut
Replied by argonaut on topic Winter 2013 Short Workshop - Suggestion Thread
Superwoman versus force of nature (tornado, tsunami, earthquake ... )?

Maybe that could include "superwoman causes tornado, tsunami, earthquake ...
More
04 Mar 2013 17:15 #30629 by skate79

njae wrote:

skate79 wrote: A Woman's World: Tales from a Female Future - an inexplicable evolutionary leap means that all females are suddenly born invulnerable and several orders of magnitude stronger than the average male. How do the hopelessly outclassed men of this changing world adapt to a society where their girlfriends, wives, mothers, sisters, and even newborn daughters are thousands of times stronger than them?

Simple. Anyone who has read the workshop description will already be aware that all the entries are set in a world where every woman enjoy superstrength. There would be no need to explain the backstory of this evolution anymore than you'd spend 1000 words explaining the science of plate tectonics if the worskhop was "superwoman vs earthquake". Just assume that the reader has accepted the basic premise and then dive right in and tell any short vignette you want, for example: boy asks girl to prom; father has to deal with unruly daughter; teens go to summer camp/spring break; honeymoon bliss; sexual harrassment in the work place, etc. The only limit is your imagination :)
More
04 Mar 2013 17:32 #30630 by Woodclaw

skate79 wrote:

njae wrote:

Simple. Anyone who has read the workshop description will already be aware that all the entries are set in a world where every woman enjoy superstrength. There would be no need to explain the backstory of this evolution anymore than you'd spend 1000 words explaining the science of plate tectonics if the worskhop was "superwoman vs earthquake". Just assume that the reader has accepted the basic premise and then dive right in and tell any short vignette you want, for example: boy asks girl to prom; father has to deal with unruly daughter; teens go to summer camp/spring break; honeymoon bliss; sexual harrassment in the work place, etc. The only limit is your imagination :)

I think that the problem here is how potentially vast this concept is. Pretty much it gives free rein to the author to explore an entire world, which is usually more suited for longer stories. Short workshops are roughly one scene long, which makes your idea a bit unsuited since it doesn't really have a strong unified theme, except "it must be set in this world".
As a rule of thumb short workshops are more about doing the best with limited resources. As such the theme is usually very restrictive, often giving a very specific scene to deal with. For example, each of the vignettes you proposed above could be an excellent idea for a short workshop.
  • Woodclaw
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
04 Mar 2013 18:58 #30632 by pansardum
Replied by pansardum on topic Winter 2013 Short Workshop - Suggestion Thread
My suggestion would be "A supergirl joins the author for an recreational activity."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Camille Jones
More
04 Mar 2013 21:37 #30633 by Esteban
I guess this isn't within the scope of this board, but asking doesn't hurt: I'd like something along the lines of "Lesbian scientist gains vast powers and makes supergirl her helpless but willing playmate". Not violent or perilous, just villain superiority and uber-hormonal seduction like in the "Deep Down Inside" stories.
I know this doesn't involve a man or successful crime fighting, but this theme is on my mind since ages. As a serious argument, I could try "This even makes sense because of supergirl being so inexperienced with her own sexuality".
More
04 Mar 2013 21:46 #30634 by Woodclaw

Esteban wrote: I guess this isn't within the scope of this board, but asking doesn't hurt: I'd like something along the lines of "Lesbian scientist gains vast powers and makes supergirl her helpless but willing playmate". Not violent or perilous, just villain superiority and uber-hormonal seduction like in the "Deep Down Inside" stories.
I know this doesn't involve a man or successful crime fighting, but this theme is on my mind since ages. As a serious argument, I could try "This even makes sense because of supergirl being so inexperienced with her own sexuality".

This is not the right topic for this request.

Aside from that, this is a very specific scenario, perhaps you should try to write it yourself.
  • Woodclaw
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
04 Mar 2013 21:54 #30635 by Esteban

Anon wrote: "Caution. Superwoman at Work"

Omg, right. Sorry, didn't pay attention.
More
04 Mar 2013 22:06 #30636 by Woodclaw

Esteban wrote:

Anon wrote: "Caution. Superwoman at Work"

Omg, right. Sorry, didn't pay attention.

I think, I miss something here.
  • Woodclaw
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
04 Mar 2013 22:19 #30637 by Esteban
Yeah, me too. I was too quick on that one: I scrolled to the top in search of the overall theme that the suggestions should have. Found your post with the "Superwoman at work" suggestion and thought "okay, this has to be the theme and that's why this isn't the right topic for my request [although I think of it more as a suggestion]". Well, whatever. It doesn't seem to fit and that's alright. I'll officially stop embarrassing myself now ;)
More
04 Mar 2013 22:26 #30638 by argonaut
Replied by argonaut on topic Winter 2013 Short Workshop - Suggestion Thread
I think skate's idea has lots of potential.

Maybe one of our writers could provide a short and simple introduction -- just a hundred words or so explaining that a year ago the Earth passed through the tail of an unusually large comet, with no apparent effect ... until girls in their teens and women in their 20's and 30's began to manifest superhuman strength, speed, stamina, etc.

Placing the event a year in the past means that people are still getting used to the idea of an ever-growing cohort of super-women in their midst, and that the world is still adjusting to their presence.

Writers might have more leeway if it's established:

1. that not all females in the 16-40 age bracket have been affected ... yet (though scientists predict that eventually this will happen). Super-woomen are still in the minority, albeit a substantial and growing minority.

2. that the transformation into a full-fledged super-woman is a gradual process, taking several months. That way, a writer can work with whatever strength level appeals to him and fits his story -- from "2-3 times stronger than the average man" to "more powerful than a locomotive."

The idea is to write a "slice-of-life" vignette set in this world, along the lines skate suggested in his wonderful list of scenarios (several of which have already got me thinking).
More
04 Mar 2013 22:28 #30639 by The Highlander
Replied by The Highlander on topic Winter 2013 Short Workshop - Suggestion Thread
I'd like to see some 'superwoman at work' stories (I think I've suggested it a couple of times), but maybe that topic would be better suited to a normal workshop.

As for my suggestion, how about 'Superwoman Dating', it could cover both trying to ask out a superwoman (or a superwoman trying to ask someone out), as well as the date itself.
More
04 Mar 2013 22:34 #30640 by Woodclaw

The Highlander wrote: I'd like to see some 'superwoman at work' stories (I think I've suggested it a couple of times), but maybe that topic would be better suited to a normal workshop.

Well, my idea was a single scene, showing a supergirl doing some kind of heavy or complex job her own way.

The Highlander wrote: As for my suggestion, how about 'Superwoman Dating', it could cover both trying to ask out a superwoman (or a superwoman trying to ask someone out), as well as the date itself.

There was already somthing similar with workshop 2.4 , but I would like this one.
  • Woodclaw
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
04 Mar 2013 22:54 #30641 by Dr. Muttonchops
Replied by Dr. Muttonchops on topic Winter 2013 Short Workshop - Suggestion Thread
Regarding the dating scenario (despite it already having been done), did anyone ever do a story with concept of a guy on a date with a girl who tries (in vain) to hide the fact that she's super?
  • Dr. Muttonchops
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Mar 2013 04:11 #30643 by njae

drmuttonchops3 wrote: Regarding the dating scenario (despite it already having been done), did anyone ever do a story with concept of a guy on a date with a girl who tries (in vain) to hide the fact that she's super?

Actually I wrote a story like this for the Spring Workshop 2012: Blind Date .
More
05 Mar 2013 04:15 #30644 by Dr. Muttonchops
Replied by Dr. Muttonchops on topic Winter 2013 Short Workshop - Suggestion Thread
Yeah, I figured. I even guessed that would be the title.
  • Dr. Muttonchops
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Mar 2013 09:27 #30648 by njae
It's a bit more complicated than the title implies, for one the girl in question is a well-known super villainess...
More
05 Mar 2013 09:59 #30651 by Dr. Muttonchops
Okay.
  • Dr. Muttonchops
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Mar 2013 14:40 #30652 by ChaozCloud
Replied by ChaozCloud on topic Winter 2013 Short Workshop - Suggestion Thread
Physical check up
Unorthodox super power/s
Post battle clean up
Medieval siege (offensive or defensive)
Accidents do happen/Can't save the world without breaking a few eggs
More
06 Mar 2013 23:25 #30671 by kshoo
One more suggestion - referring to the set Superman & Batman Generations, how about a story about the children (or grandchildren) of the current superheroines set in the future?
More
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds