Amount

Word limits & Deadlines

19 Jul 2013 16:45 #32354 by Dru1076
Word limits & Deadlines was created by Dru1076
I was, I admit, a little subtle in my attempt to get Geekseven's thread back on-topic...apologies to Njae.

The arguments defending the 1000 word limit for the short story worhshop have been put forward pretty clearly. I can understand that such a concept may appeal to a lot of writers, but it's not for me. Just as Anon doesn't like close deadlines, I don't like cramped spaces. To each his own.

Not that I have anything against stories that are very short, as you'll see with the entry I sent in with C&S for the current workshop.

Castor has put forward the idea of a shotgun workshop to run over a 24hr period. This does sound interesting to me. But a lot of work would have to be done to organise such an event. Any thoughts?

I was also wondering if any writers would be interested in something the opposite of that...an annual workshop? This one I would definately approve a word limit on, otherwise Castor and other 13000 word-a-minute writers could make War and Peace look like the Little Book of Calm... In the case of an annual workshop, I was thinking maybe base a word limit on how many authors are in, and how long we want to have to read potential entries. If there's only two or three, lets blow the ceiling off that mutha...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Dru1076
  • Dru1076's Avatar Topic Author
More
19 Jul 2013 20:25 #32360 by d_k_c
Replied by d_k_c on topic Word limits & Deadlines
So, as a compromise....and here's just a suggestion.

What if we let the winner of the Author who won the short WS decide what the topic is, and what the length should be up to...

Fair?...No? ....Hmmmmmmm

More
19 Jul 2013 22:27 #32362 by njae
Replied by njae on topic Word limits & Deadlines
I find both ideas rather interesting.

While I don't know whether 24h would be the best time limit for such a workshop (things get complicated with different time zones etc), I do like the idea of trying to come up with something very quickly. The organization on the other hand get's rather tricky since the topic has to be very specific so it's unlikely anybody prepares a story in advance. This would also mean that we can't use the typical price of chosing the next topic since that would put the winner at an unfair advantage for the workshop. One idea would be to have the previous winner write an intro to a story and any participant would have to continue from there - but that would imply that the previous winner isn't allowed to participate... any other suggestions?

The annual workshop reminds me on what I had in mind for the collaborative workshop. As a special workshop with no theme it would only need a deadline and everybody would have a year time to work on that. The soon-to.be announcd collab workshop will have a deadline for the end of this year, btw.
I'm really interested to hear if people would want this workshop to run parallel to the already known seasonal workshops (summer and winter short, spring and fall normal) or if that should take up the spot of one or two of the seasonal workshops instead.

An other ideas for special workshops?

• njae
  • Away
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
20 Jul 2013 03:23 #32364 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Word limits & Deadlines
My solution would be to take advantage of what is pretty clear. Some people don't want to do a quick story contest-so someone who doesn't-let say anon, or someone, picks the subject, and we go from there.

What does the winner get? Isn't glory enough:)?

More
20 Jul 2013 07:57 #32367 by Dru1076
Replied by Dru1076 on topic Word limits & Deadlines
Great idea Castor...that may actually work,

I was thinking, since we are a global group as Njae pointed out, perhaps we could use the chatroom as a starter pistol? I can't use the chatroom, but I'm sure someone can PM me or send me an email...

I'm glad Njae is already preparing a long-term workshop, and I'm curious to know what the details will be on that.

• Dru1076
More
20 Jul 2013 08:01 - 20 Jul 2013 08:19 #32368 by Dru1076
This was going to be another double post....but I've discovered the edit button...

I don't see any reason to drop any seasonal workshops to make way for others...the more workshop we have, the sooner we'll break the 600 milestone....
Last edit: 20 Jul 2013 08:19 by Dru1076. Reason: Noobness

• Dru1076
More
20 Jul 2013 08:19 #32369 by njae

My solution would be to take advantage of what is pretty clear. Some people don't want to do a quick story contest-so someone who doesn't-let say anon, or someone, picks the subject, and we go from there.

What does the winner get? Isn't glory enough:)?

That could actually work.

Dru1076 wrote: Great idea Castor...that may actually work,

I was thinking, since we are a global group as Njae pointed out, perhaps we could use the chatroom as a starter pistol? I can't use the chatroom, but I'm sure someone can PM me or send me an email...

I'm glad Njae is already preparing a long-term workshop, and I'm curious to know what the details will be on that.

Using the chatroom for planning and starting sounds like a given, but how come you can't use it? There are IRC clients for everything.

As for "preparing a long-term workshop" the collaborative workshop has been planned for some time now and as it stands right now it would replace some of the normal workshops (the fall and maybe winter workshop). Now this is a question to every potential participant: Do you think you can work on a collaborative workshop and a normal workshop both of which would be due by the end of the year?

• njae
  • Away
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
20 Jul 2013 08:44 #32370 by Dru1076
If anyone knows of way to get a Nokia E63 to work in the chatrooms, they have more patience and detective skills than I. There are reasons I have no internet connection to my desktop...but I do plan to update my mobile soon. I miss my iphone...

If we have to loose 2 worshops to get 1, then I'd rather stick with having the 2...

• Dru1076
More
20 Jul 2013 08:57 #32371 by njae
This one perhaps? Wjhat you're searching for is an IRC client, the rest is only configuration (freenode.net and the channel #superwomenmania)

And my question is whether or not you think we can keep all workshops and have the collaborative run parallel. If that workshop turns annual, this should work out just fine in theory since you have a whole year but the next would be due by the end of the year. In my opinion it would still be possible to have the winter workshop afterwards so we would merely switch one workshop with another.

• njae
  • Away
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
20 Jul 2013 09:25 #32372 by Dru1076
Thanks for trying Njae, but like all the downloads I've found it doesn't work...I don't know why, but none of the freeware I've found (and yes...I have checked everywhere) will install or function if it does...

PersonallyI don't see a problem wth doinng both...but I'd understand if most writers don't have enough time. In which case, I'd rather have two workshops.

• Dru1076
More
30 Jul 2013 08:17 #32513 by njae
*bump*

It would be really helpful to know if things like annual workshops are interesting for the people here. Someone (I think it was Castor) suggested a Long Story Workshop (not the normal workshops we have right now, but with a minimum amount of words instead) going for about a year due to that. The suggested minimum amount of words was 50000, and my opinion would be to have it begin/end at the end of June so that it wouldn't clash with the also annual Collaborative Workshop.

But those are just ideas and they need feedback.

• njae
  • Away
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
30 Jul 2013 15:14 #32515 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Word limits & Deadlines

njae wrote: *bump*

It would be really helpful to know if things like annual workshops are interesting for the people here. Someone (I think it was Castor) suggested a Long Story Workshop (not the normal workshops we have right now, but with a minimum amount of words instead) going for about a year due to that. The suggested minimum amount of words was 50000, and my opinion would be to have it begin/end at the end of June so that it wouldn't clash with the also annual Collaborative Workshop.

But those are just ideas and they need feedback.

Well l like it :)))))))

That said i think january 1 is a better date to start it. An honest year is a good place to start it, and winter is a good time to read long stories(sorry Dru in australia as he deals with ice storms).

I also think for stories like that i have the idea of maybe doing like four month check in-like creating a place where people can look at drafts of other peoples stories, or just outlines to see how it goes, and to give feedback on the progress. It could be very helpful i think and encourage people to write, as oposed to having just a novel dump on the what ever the contest date is.

Also while i do like the idea of a collabrite contest-it sounds like a lot of fun, i do think year is a little long for that. For me at least working with other people for that long could be easy to get lost. I would suggest maybe replacing one of the generic contests.

Castor

More
30 Jul 2013 22:40 #32518 by Dru1076
This goes without saying, but I'm in.

• Dru1076
More
Time to create page: 0.062 seconds