Amount

announcement on short workshops

04 Aug 2013 13:16 #32554 by fats
announcement on short workshops was created by fats
Hi all,

It’s been two weeks since I started the poll to decide the length of the short workshop, you were given eight options and you came to the conclusion that you wanted the length doubled from 1000 words to 2000 words. So that is the new length but you also wanted to look at the issue of having another option of a workshop length of 10,000 words that was not in the list of options but had a strong following in the chats that took place in the thread, it would be remiss of me not to look at that as a possible option for the future but I must say that with the average length of workshop entries being only 7600 words the idea of a 10,000 short workshop is a bit of a overkill.

I had a nice PM from castor with an interesting idea, why not have a workshop that takes a year and has a minimum length of 50,000 words, I have to say that with the limited discussion in the chat room it might be an idea that will work.

There are nearly 4 months left of the year plenty of time to discuss the idea look at it’s merits and pitfalls and see if this is an idea that could work or not, I thought it might be interesting to amalgamate this with the collaborative workshop or it could stand on it’s own. What do you think? Do you see it working or not? Let me know your views in this thread.

There has been a lot of talk about how the workshops should be run, i’ve had a chat with Lfan and he has agreed with my idea, that idea is for me as the only non writer on the staff taking full control of the workshops and running them, setting the timing and doing all the backend work, the winner of the previous workshop will still get to decide on the theme of the workshop; what I will do is liaise with the other staff and make all the announcements.

Please let me know what you think in this thread or you can discuss this in the chat room as well.

Fats

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• fats
  • fats's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
04 Aug 2013 13:33 #32555 by d_k_c
Replied by d_k_c on topic announcement on short workshops
For me, the spring WS is my annual WS. And maybe for some writers, the fall WS is theirs. I don't see a benefit of adding yet another WS

Also..if you look at the polls. 2000 certainly wins..but loses to the combined votes of Above 2000. The happy medium is 2500

More
04 Aug 2013 13:59 #32556 by fats
Replied by fats on topic announcement on short workshops

d_k_c wrote: For me, the spring WS is my annual WS. And maybe for some writers, the fall WS is theirs. I don't see a benefit of adding yet another WS

Also..if you look at the polls. 2000 certainly wins..but loses to the combined votes of Above 2000. The happy medium is 2500

D_k_c I can see you point, but the poll was set up for a winner takes all, the biggest issue is that for the number of people who voted for their choice there is 20 times that who never voted at all.

I'm not going to hold another poll on this matter until we have had 4 short workshops with the new length.

fats

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
05 Aug 2013 07:05 #32574 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic announcement on short workshops

d_k_c wrote: For me, the spring WS is my annual WS. And maybe for some writers, the fall WS is theirs. I don't see a benefit of adding yet another WS

Amen brother! 27 for 2000 or less and 28 for 2500 or more. Maybe alternate 2500 with 2000, but we can revisit this after the first go around.

More
05 Aug 2013 10:51 #32576 by fats
Replied by fats on topic announcement on short workshops

ace191 wrote:

Amen brother! 27 for 2000 or less and 28 for 2500 or more. Maybe alternate 2500 with 2000, but we can revisit this after the first go around.

can i please put this to bed, the poll was carried out in the way that whichever option got the most votes would win, the one with the highest vote count was 2000 words so therefore it won.

it will be reviewed in 4 short workshops time.

fats

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
06 Aug 2013 04:19 #32585 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic announcement on short workshops
Yes you may, after all, you are the Admin!

More
Time to create page: 0.056 seconds