Amount

Summer 2015 Graphical Workshop Thread (Rules and Announcement)

20 May 2015 20:42 - 26 May 2015 23:05 #42208 by lfan
This is the official thread for the 2015 Summer Graphical Workshop, otherwise known as the "Supergirl Movie Poster Contest" that was announced earlier on the site.

CONTEST OVERVIEW
Continuing with the common theme of May being the "Month of Supergirl", we decided that we'll continue the trend with the next Graphical Workshop and base it on designing a photoshopped movie poster featuring the Girl of Steel in her very own movie!

We understand this is coming on the heels of so much Supergirl content, but this contest is meant to spark creativity and originality, not simply take a screengrab from the trailer and dump some wordart on it! No, this is your opportunity to fulfill your own wish list in terms of a Supergirl movie. Think Melissa Benoist was a bad choice? Use someone else! Always wanted to see Kara in a movie as a Red Lantern? Now's your chance! Wanna see Supergirl up against Doomsday? Go for it! Use your imagination!!!

Along those lines, we will not prohibit the use of past/present Supergirl actresses (Helen Slater, Laura Vandervoort, or Melissa Benoist), BUT do not just use a complete screengrab from a professionally shot trailer and pass it off as original. Remember that remark about people seeing the trailer hundreds of times? Well, that's us, and we'll DQ anyone trying to pass a complete scene off as their work. Again you can use their likenesses (or even parts from the trailer/movies) but you must incorporate it in a larger work. Here are some examples of kinda what we're talking about when we mean "movie poster" (only one pertains to our girl, but you should get the idea):

CONTEST RULES AND GUIDELINES
1) All entries must be submitted in digital form (jpg, gif, png) to contest@superwomenmania.com by the contest deadline at midnight EST, July 31st, 2015. ALL SUBMISSIONS must be sized to 4:3 height-width ratio (ex: 1200 h x 900 w) aka PORTRAIT (not landscaped) Minimum size suggestion is 1200x900.
2) All work must be new and original. No re-circulating old works that might fit the profile of the contest, please.
3) For this contest, all submissions must be consist of photoshopped images (3D models will be accepted). Traditional 2D drawings or artwork will not be accepted.
4) Entries must be STATIC (no animations or embedded content) images. Rule of thumb is you should be able to print it out and hang it on a wall.
5) Entries MUST feature some type of movie starring Supergirl or some incarnation of her (e.g. Red Lantern Supergirl, Evil Supergirl, Earth-2 Supergirl, Bombshell Supergirl). Other characters may also be featured as long as the movie's main character is Supergirl. Because the contest is obviously about "Supergirl", please do not use Superwoman, Powergirl, Cir-El, Andromeda or other "derivative" characters unless Supergirl is also featured.
6) Participants must incorporate multiple creative elements together for their entry. Simply taking a screenshot from the trailer and posting some word art on it will not be allowed.
7) SWM requires that any submitted artwork not be posted on other sites (e.g. DeviantArt) until AFTER all entries are posted on the site (probably a few days following the July 31st deadline). Any submitted artwork discovered in the public domain prior to this will be ineligible for prize winnings.
8) Winners will be decided by a vote of SuperWomenMania's users via an online poll, with each registered user of the site getting one vote. Our site does not allow "robot" registrations so there is little liklihood of automatically stuffing the ballot box. In the event of a tie, the tying entries will have the option of splitting the combined prize monies (if BOTH artists agree) or having the webmaster break the tie.
9) All winning cash prizes will be paid via Paypal only to the submitting artist's account
10) Any questions/clarifications about the contest or what is allowed can be directed to larafan22@yahoo.com. Questions can also be submitted via YIM at "larafan22".
11) Artists may submit up to 5 entries if they wish
12) SWM reserves the right to disqualify any entry that it feels have violated the rules or views as graphic or in poor taste. you think there might be an issue, please ask first.

PRIZES
Cash prizes will be awarded based on the results of the voting poll that will be opened shortly after all entries are received on July 31st, 2015 and will run tentatively through August 21st, 2015. All prizes will be awarded and distributed via Paypal (no exceptions). Prize tiers will be as follows:

First Place: $60
Second Place: $30
Third Place: $10

QUESTIONS
Any questions about the contest or submissions can be submitted to larafan22@yahoo.com or contest@superwomenmania.com.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 26 May 2015 23:05 by lfan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SHTL, fats, Kingofgraphics

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
25 May 2015 00:54 #42327 by inactive
Just wanted to double check on the size/resolution.

The example you gave is 1200x900, but the minimum resolution is A4/letter at 300 dpi, which comes out to about 3300 x 2550 pixels, by my calculations.

What would the minimum 4x3 ratio be, in pixels?

- GeekSeven

More
25 May 2015 03:49 #42332 by lfan

geekseven wrote: Just wanted to double check on the size/resolution.

The example you gave is 1200x900, but the minimum resolution is A4/letter at 300 dpi, which comes out to about 3300 x 2550 pixels, by my calculations.

Sorry, I forgot to remove the 300dpi requirement. The big thing is the 4:3 ratio so they all are formatted the same for posting. The a4 size is just a helpful hint to help the voters see the details.

ElF

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
25 May 2015 08:57 #42338 by Woodclaw

lfan wrote:

Sorry, I forgot to remove the 300dpi requirement. The big thing is the 4:3 ratio so they all are formatted the same for posting. The a4 size is just a helpful hint to help the voters see the details.

ElF

So no landscape entries this time.

More
25 May 2015 09:25 #42339 by fats

Woodclaw wrote:

lfan wrote:

ElF

Landscape format is possible with the entry requirements, 4:3 is the same as 3:4

Fats

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
25 May 2015 14:28 #42342 by lfan

fats wrote:

Woodclaw wrote:

lfan wrote:

ElF

Actually, we are gonna restrict it to 4:3 (portrait) entries. The reason being it makes for easier posting later and keeps all the entries "in the same box" in terms of constraints. Hope this isn't an issue for some.....

ElF

Landscape format is possible with the entry requirements, 4:3 is the same as 3:4

Fats

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
26 May 2015 22:44 #42382 by inactive
Could y'all update the rules to reflect this discussion, with the disambiguation and whatnot?

- GeekSeven

More
26 May 2015 23:07 #42383 by lfan

geekseven wrote: Could y'all update the rules to reflect this discussion, with the disambiguation and whatnot?

Clarified a little more here in the rules at the top of this thread I'll have to update the front page article when I get back home....

ElF
The following user(s) said Thank You: inactive

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
27 May 2015 12:00 #42397 by lfan
Just curious if anyone is in....or gives a shit, for that matter :)

ElF

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
27 May 2015 14:39 #42404 by inactive
Hell, yes. I'm totally in. I have one concept pretty far along and another one in the planning stages.

- GeekSeven
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan

More
28 May 2015 04:23 #42422 by AuGoose
I have a composition in mind, but it will depend on if I can get source files of sufficient quality.

Muhuwahahahaaahaahhhh...

More
28 May 2015 04:33 #42424 by castor
I had an idea that got rejected for formating concerns. may or may not do it without, depending on how busy my summer turns out

More
28 May 2015 13:20 #42433 by pansardum
I'll really try to submit something, got a few ideas ;)

More
16 Jul 2015 20:27 #43207 by inactive
How are folks coming along with their manips?

Who are your leading ladies? I have Melissa Benoist (you may not have heard of her, but something tells me she'd make a great Supergirl :) ) and Emma Stone, with Jennifer Lawrence and Amanda Seyfried in scene-stealing cameo roles.

- GeekSeven

More
17 Jul 2015 00:40 #43213 by unseen_unheard
My manip is still a work in progress. It'll either be pretty cool or hot garbage. :/

So far my cast is Ashley Benson and Jessica Chastain with a few yet to be cast.

More
17 Jul 2015 00:46 #43214 by fats
at this time there has been 3 entries submitted so far, we are expecting more to come in closer to the deadline.

the email address to submit to is contest@superwomenmania.com

Fats

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 Jul 2015 10:41 #43231 by Woodclaw
I was planning something very simple but, since I've hit my first writing streak in months, I'll probably pass or submit it on its own later on.

More
18 Jul 2015 17:42 #43235 by inactive
My entries are en route via the mysterious aether of email.

- GeekSeven

More
18 Jul 2015 17:45 #43236 by fats
and they have been received

Fats

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 Jul 2015 18:00 #43237 by inactive

fats wrote: and they have been received

Fats

And there was much rejoicing. And feasting on trout.

- GeekSeven

More
07 Aug 2015 01:24 #43512 by unseen_unheard
So with the new deadline fast approaching I'm curious how far along people who plan to submit are.

More
07 Aug 2015 22:33 #43525 by fats
we have received 6 entries for the workshop, I’m going to launch it on Sunday with the chat session in the chat room to coincide with it.

the quality of the entries is very high, it's going to be tough to decide the winner.

Fats

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
09 Aug 2015 14:11 #43535 by Kingofgraphics
Im in ;) Good luck to everybody

More
20 Aug 2015 16:57 - 20 Aug 2015 16:58 #43762 by castor
(this may not be the thread for this but well)

Things piled up and working on my movie didn't have time to really get an entry in- but had a lot of good stuff though did come in. My thoughts on the contest entries.

Supergirlstart

Very intresting costume-liked how dark its with the armor-it almost something out of a thor movie. And the dark know idea what it is but intrestingbackground goes very well with it. this looks like a supergirl who is ready for business, for establishing that she is going to beat people up. Like the lens flair on the logo

The problem i would have with it is that the head looks a little werid, like its ever so slightly in a diffrent picture-however that could be a feature not a bug. however i really like the realitivly gentile face and hair which does a lot to sofften the image and makes it feel etheral.

The Font at the bottom is boilerplate but not going to hold that to hard agianst it.

This looks like the making of a very kind of intresting warrior movie-and for some reason...i think this movie is going to be shot in england. It has a big budget shot in england look to it :)

Supergirl Crisis by 67

This one tells a story and creates a scene, which does a lot to introduce dynamism to it, with the three with the characters.

Like the background a lot of this picture-thats the strongest ellement how darksided, the earth and the black at the bottom all coalese into a single frame, and as a peice of background that really does work with the font at the bottom. Its very strong

the problem...well is the foreground The russian supergirl and the in black supergirl bodies look fine. not great but the photoshoping is obvious-especially once the faces are put on. That the jennifer lawrence face looks like shes somewhere else is a turnoff. Seyfield one looks better with the heat ray vission is dynamic, but not great.

And the Benoist one....well i see what your trying with the costume, but it does like it could have used a lighting pass to make it seem part of the same image(and the supergirl logo well). The face looks okay. though, and i like the expression.

This is dynamic though and if where judging on ideas, this could make an intresting superhero movie. Super stories in comics once you go beyond the origin stuff often work very well when you go to pure science fiction-and the idea of three versions of the same character..that could be kind of neat. This could be an intresting episode of the TV series if nothing else(obviously), and that is something

Supergirl Argo City by G7

Some of the same stuff as G7s other entry, though in someways better.

Amazing background-city sky etc. looks amazing-i might say the best of the bunch.

Costume looks good and if the logo doesn't quite match its very strong. I like the Fact that this costumes makes Emma Stone a little realistically curvy with her hips being the main feature of the shot. That works and i like how the costumes two colors and emmas hair match-and well i think the photoshop of her face looks much much better then the previous entry.

The 'Juliane Moore bubble' (a phrase that i like saying "Julliane Moore Bubble") looks really 80s poser design...and when i first saw it i didn't like it..but writing this its growing on me. it does have a kind of older post feel to it, which isn't bad, the kind of sence that we have to work in a star but not with the design. like how it integrates with the U as almost an afterthought, which is not a critique.

As a peice of photoshop its pretty good. The problem i would have is....well i am not getting Argo city here. We don't see it or express it. The title and tagline are telling us a story or suggesting one without showing it. If your other design suggested a story this one is just Emma Stone...and in Argo City bad stuff is going to happen.

But yeah-i like it. it almost feels as if this feel to a sequal that emma stone stars in to the 19

One Girl Army by Unseen Unheard.

If you took this to Warner brothers as a mockup to show them your idea for Supergirl versus a bunch of Villaness- i think its great. This is by far the most dynamic battle scene image we have, and in someway looks like a modern movie poster. That dynamism is worth a lot of points as we have a clear image, clear heroines, clear villians in a crowded but exciting image

Like the old school logo and old school design of supergirl.

But welst....the problem is the photoshop isn't great. It conveys the idea, but its by no means photorealstic.

But the dynamism and design does work for it, this is a big battle with a lot of clever deisgns and contrasting colors and an intresting central triangle creates is impressive and the sence that every square inch something is happen creates an image thats neat to look at, and suggests a story and movie that will be a lot of fun.

Which is perhaps the best line about it: Of all the posters this one looks like it has the funnest movie.

Supergirl Poster by no look past

The other day i past by a big billboard for the Supergirl show ( the fact that i was going past the CBS studios maybe had something to do with it). Its a great shot of Benoist flying and does a lot of dynamic shots of lighting effects etc. and they did that trick kind of where her hand left the rectangular plane as if bursting out.

This is a lot better then that.

This is dynamic, fascinating directly integrates foreground and background and creates action and chaos with the point of grace in the center being her. Calm in the middle. strong confidant present

The colors look fantastic, the shading looks great, and if the logo is something we have seen before looks good. Every square inch has some excitment to it.

Looking at it closely..is the photoshop perfect? No. you can see some matte But you have to look pretty closeup to see it. this seems like a painting and as a painting it really feels bueatifully created with the car, the city and the eyes all being one hyper strong images. this is dynamism defined.

This looks a lot like something from a modern DC movie-but honestly looks better at a distance then anything from a modern DC movie.

Supergirl by Pansardum

I like the idea of Alien Supergirl, of the stranger coming to earth and not really sure what that means. I have played around with script ideas for it i will be honest, and if i where making Supergirl movie thats the angle i would take. Its a much simplier story then some of the other supergirl stories, and this is a simplier poster. and that works for it.

Like the top in the clouds and the hyper simple logo and details-thats very readable and clever. I'll give it best logo award.

the poster itself conveys its stroy which does work for it-the craft, the costume and if supergirl looks a little like shes modeling for a perfume company thats something. the costume with its diapumus fabrics and leotard is intresting if not traditional, and the spacecraft if not to intresting is readable.

However the trick to a good alien on earth story is Awe: we have to sence that shes feeling something that this earth means something to her, be in fear, amazment or just wimsy-not really getting that here. .

Which is a good description: This is simple and readable. I would have a liked a little more awe though.

Fallen Angel by Lfan

Welst she looks like a badass here. and that not a bad thing. Shes beat up Superman, shes beat up Batman. Powergirl is here goddamit and thats something.

However i will make a comment: The overall layout looks more like a book cover to me with the higher placed title card then most movies and the choice of fonts. And thats not a bad thing, but i will comment that this feels a little less exciting then intended. Supergirl is going to kick some ass as a villianess.

We see her twice both as the front of a group and in the bottom pannel. The top has photos of characters, in the background of the bottom there defeated ( and i like how you do have to look for them-its not really obvious which gives a lot of depth to it).. After alll that fighting she is lifting a car with something-thats strong..but...

This feels a little effortless and not matter how strong or powerful a supergirl is-if your going to do a feature film there should be a sence of effort to it. Well maybe there was effort This looks like the last shot in the movie, which gives it a sence that your spoiling it man. your spoiling it.

But it is cool, and there is a look to the poster. If the Argo City poster felt retro, thats a word that almost seems to apply-almost. This looks like a movie that would never exist in our world-but i could imagine a world where it does, if that makes sence- a world where you can make a movie about supergirls just defeating other heros and being cool with it- a world where i will theroize the first boom in superhero movies in the early 80s didn't end. And that is a world you have made a poster for.

Overall a good contest and lots of neat entries doing all diffrent things. These all feel like posters for Different Supergirl movies, and i love the variety- it just goes to show how you could say Superheroines or superhero movies are all the same but really...
Last edit: 20 Aug 2015 16:58 by castor.

More
20 Aug 2015 21:49 #43776 by inactive
BTW, for the backgrounds, I made liberal use of stock from freeimages.com. They're a good resource, although they want you to buy stock from their sister site, so they mix in paid with free in the results.

www.freeimages.com/photo/insanity-1428713

www.freeimages.com/photo/galaxy-landscape-1144546

www.freeimages.com/photo/sun-rise-1148031

- GeekSeven

More
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds