Amount

The Hollywood Reporter compares Supergirl, WW pilots

27 May 2015 19:13 #42407 by www1969
...and finds Supergirl superior in every meaningful way!

www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/supe...-does-compare-797462
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, Raa

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• www1969
  • www1969's Avatar Topic Author
More
27 May 2015 19:37 #42409 by lfan

www1969 wrote: ...and finds Supergirl superior in every meaningful way!

Pretty good points made. Found it interesting that they stayed away from directly comparing and contrasting the actresses. Probably good, as I actually though Palicki wasn't the problem with it and coulda pulled it off with a better costume.....and dialog....and script....and FX team.....and showrunner.......and writers.......

ElF

More
27 May 2015 20:16 #42410 by shadar

lfan wrote:

www1969 wrote: ...and finds Supergirl superior in every meaningful way!

Pretty good points made. Found it interesting that they stayed away from directly comparing and contrasting the actresses. Probably good, as I actually though Palicki wasn't the problem with it and coulda pulled it off with a better costume.....and dialog....and script....and FX team.....and showrunner.......and writers.......

ElF

Agreed.. Palicki has been great on Agents of Shield.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
27 May 2015 20:27 #42411 by Scwank
My first reaction was disbelief that the Wonder Woman pilot was back in 2011. It really seems like a year or two ago, but I guess not.

More
27 May 2015 20:47 #42412 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic The Hollywood Reporter compares Supergirl, WW pilots
I agree with lfan. Just about the only thing they got right with the WW pilot was casting Palicki. And she's doing well on SHIELD.

My favorite line of the article, about Supergirl:

its loveably dorky protagonist.

As I think it goes a long way to making people like her on screen and make the show work.

The scene of her watching herself on TV and geeking out. So adorbs.

And really Benoist has such great facial expressions. I also love her attitude shift from Kara to Supergirl. She really wears that costume, and suddenly is striding around confidently. Her attitude and body language really help sell the costume. And sell why people don't notice that Kara is Supergirl.

They're getting so many things like that right that the WW pilot just whiffed on, that it's almost like people are using it as a cautionary tale of what not to do.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, Supergirlfan

More
27 May 2015 21:15 #42413 by lfan

TwiceOnThursdays wrote: And really Benoist has such great facial expressions. I also love her attitude shift from Kara to Supergirl. She really wears that costume, and suddenly is striding around confidently. Her attitude and body language really help sell the costume. And sell why people don't notice that Kara is Supergirl.

I agree 100%....and I guess it's what actors are supposed to do though not all can do it well. She just conveys so much personality in her expressions -- at least in the pilot -- that "adorable" is the perfect word for it.

Spoilers ahead.....

Warning: Spoiler!

ElF

More
27 May 2015 21:35 #42414 by Markiehoe
I have not read the main article yet.
Are there SPOILERS in it?

More
27 May 2015 21:59 #42415 by lfan

Markiehoe wrote: I have not read the main article yet.
Are there SPOILERS in it?

Its spoiler free if you've seen the trailer

ElF
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

More
28 May 2015 00:51 #42417 by kikass2014
Was talking about this with a friend the other day. They really nailed the tone [Supergirl] of the show big time with some really nice touches. Whereas Wonder Woman was a complete disaster from start to finish. The only saving grace being Adrianne Palicki. She didn't do anything wrong. But the rest of that team should be shot.

Agree with the comparison review completely. As I mentioned to my friend, there are a million ways that a show/series about Supergirl could be done wrong, and very few ways it could be done right.

They found one of the ways to do it right.

Peace.

/K

More
28 May 2015 03:44 #42420 by www1969

lfan wrote:

TwiceOnThursdays wrote: And really Benoist has such great facial expressions. I also love her attitude shift from Kara to Supergirl. She really wears that costume, and suddenly is striding around confidently. Her attitude and body language really help sell the costume. And sell why people don't notice that Kara is Supergirl.

I agree 100%....and I guess it's what actors are supposed to do though not all can do it well.

A million years ago, it was one of the consistent compliments that Christopher Reeve got for his portrayal of Clark Kent/Superman. So she's in good company.

• www1969
  • www1969's Avatar Topic Author
More
28 May 2015 04:16 - 28 May 2015 04:35 #42421 by castor
I'm a guy who didn't hate the Wonder Woman Pilot. it was Bad but it didn't hate hate it.

Padalaki was fine, most of the rest of the cast was good for what they did(and i like Cary Elwes-that was my big disapointment that he didn't get a steady paycheck), and i do disagree with the articles point that not doing an origin story was somehow worse then doing one-i think you could have gone either way there and been okay. I do think the fight scene at the end is better as a fight scene then anything i have seen from Supergirl(and i admit i haven't watched that yet-but not heard tremendious fans)

But Wonder Womans main failing was this-it wanted wonder woman to be incredibly powerful and kind of a fuckup at the same time. it could never do that. Padalaki was good at playing Awesome not so good at playing vulnerable. The scenes where she was trying to play woah as me where painful. Agian intresting idea- but not executed well.

Supergirl from what i have heard here and the various footage-has figured it out(at least mostly). And to a degree thats the dork bit-becuse a dork is fundementally a weak character, and a strong character at the same time. Benoist at least is able to do that, and look strong and weak and manage it out.

Will see.

Castor.

I think the main problem with it
Last edit: 28 May 2015 04:35 by castor.

More
28 May 2015 04:35 #42425 by AJF
Well, of course the Supergirl pilot is better than the Wonder Woman pilot!
Warner Bros and David E. Kelly had no faith in it and were trying to pull a fast one on the broadcast networks.
WW pilot went into development in, what Nov. 2010 for the 2011-2011 tv season?

A good tv show cannot be developed that fast.
David B. Friggin Kelley?! Writing WW for tv!?

This time around, WBTV really believes in its DC property and has the right people in charge of it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan

More
28 May 2015 13:15 #42432 by Markiehoe
It's hard to believe these days that just a little while ago the CW crawled and crawled developing their "Amazon" project.
Eventually dropping it.
WB executives were quoted saying "We don't know what to do with Wonder Woman."

Then Arrow and more importantly Flash hit the screen and then we get Supergil!

Maybe, someday we'll get a Wonder Woman show on TV.

More
28 May 2015 14:46 #42435 by castor

Markiehoe wrote: It's hard to believe these days that just a little while ago the CW crawled and crawled developing their "Amazon" project.
Eventually dropping it.
WB executives were quoted saying "We don't know what to do with Wonder Woman."

Then Arrow and more importantly Flash hit the screen and then we get Supergil!

Maybe, someday we'll get a Wonder Woman show on TV.

Well the anwser is pretty basic:

TV for like 20 years was afraid of putting people in costumes, in afraid they would look silly. Not entirely sure why-budget to a degree lighting afraid of looking silly.
That and to a degree special effects. Not just for her, but for the Cheetah Dr Egg, Etc

There have been a couple of pilots-but well none of them get picked up.

From what i remembered Artemesis was less tradtional Wonder Woman show as "Well This is Diana as a young Woman, trying to make her way in mans world while not quite sure what that means"-ie a lot like earlier shows like Smallville, or Birds of Prey, or more aptly Buffy which inspired those shows.

But yeah Arrow and Flash changed there tune on that-nothing sucseeds like sucess.

And will we see Wonder Woman? My Gut says not for awhile as we have to many shows already-next year where essentually going to have 4-but well i have been wrong before.

More
01 Jun 2015 08:37 #42502 by AuGoose
I guess I'm just generally alone in thinking Wonder Woman isn't all that distinctive of a character and probably not a great choice to bring to the small screen. Not least of which because her rogues gallery is 94% rubbish. Ask even comics geeks to "name 5 Wonder Woman villains" and most will crash and burn after two (Ares and Circe). If she existed entirely alone in her cosmos, maybe. But she's been roped into this whole "trinity of DC" thing where she's sandwiched between the human who will out determination, outthink, and out skill her at every point and the Kryptonian boyscout who has every power she has x 10 billion. A female flying brick is NOT what the trinity needs and until they build a strong female protagonist whose power-set is not a watered down superman (magic, psychic powers, damn near ANYTHING other than great strength and toughness) she's going to always be the square peg they keep trying to hammer through the triangular hole.

Mixing companies a sec, can you imagine Jean Grey where Wonder Woman is forced to sit? Holy shit, suddenly a character than can bring something to the table. Someone who can sleuth alongside Bats and solve problems from a new direction (telepathy), and a character that on occasion can throw down with Superman as a WORLD DESTROYING entity of transformation (phoenix force).

DC frankly needs to GET OVER IT and put together a female protagonist that actually creates a triangle rather than existing on a line directly between their two principle icons.

More
01 Jun 2015 16:20 - 01 Jun 2015 16:22 #42508 by lfan
I gotta disagree with you on some of your points.....

Just because WW is a brick and Superman is a brick doesn't mean they can't be showcased as part of the "top 3 draws" (I've always despised the whole "trinity" thing) in the DCU. Thanks to their box office successes, Marvel's showcase heroes are the Avengers. Hulk and Thor are for all intents and purposes "bricks" and you might could argue the same for Captain America (lower level brick) or even Iron Man (mechanized brick). I know they are very different (god, monster, tech wiz, anachronistic soldier), but Superman and Wonder Woman are too. One is (or is supposed to be) an alien immigrant who Earth has adopted as their hero and symbol for hope while the other is a fierce Amazon warrior who just happens to be her island's ambassador of peace.

As for the villain argument, I'd like 90% of the world's mainstream population to name ONE Thor villain outside of Loki. Same goes for Hulk outside of Abomination -- and Hulk even has has own cartoon! When you talk about it in those terms (rogue's gallery), only Superman, Batman, and Spiderman really measure up IMO in terms of individual heroes.

I liked your assessment of having a Jean Grey character "complete the points of the triangle" with her powerset, but that -- to me -- is better served for members of a superhero team or group and not just simply "the most marketable heroes" DC has (aka the Trinity)

ElF

AuGoose wrote: I guess I'm just generally alone in thinking Wonder Woman isn't all that distinctive of a character and probably not a great choice to bring to the small screen. Not least of which because her rogues gallery is 94% rubbish. Ask even comics geeks to "name 5 Wonder Woman villains" and most will crash and burn after two (Ares and Circe). If she existed entirely alone in her cosmos, maybe. But she's been roped into this whole "trinity of DC" thing where she's sandwiched between the human who will out determination, outthink, and out skill her at every point and the Kryptonian boyscout who has every power she has x 10 billion. A female flying brick is NOT what the trinity needs and until they build a strong female protagonist whose power-set is not a watered down superman (magic, psychic powers, damn near ANYTHING other than great strength and toughness) she's going to always be the square peg they keep trying to hammer through the triangular hole.

Mixing companies a sec, can you imagine Jean Grey where Wonder Woman is forced to sit? Holy shit, suddenly a character than can bring something to the table. Someone who can sleuth alongside Bats and solve problems from a new direction (telepathy), and a character that on occasion can throw down with Superman as a WORLD DESTROYING entity of transformation (phoenix force).

DC frankly needs to GET OVER IT and put together a female protagonist that actually creates a triangle rather than existing on a line directly between their two principle icons.

Last edit: 01 Jun 2015 16:22 by lfan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jdrock24

More
01 Jun 2015 23:14 #42518 by Agent00Soul
Now that I think about it, I can't name any of Supergirl's rogues gallery. Does she have any specific regular antagonists other than the standard DCU villains?

More
01 Jun 2015 23:35 #42520 by AuGoose
She mostly seems to get her cousin's hand-me-downs. Parasite, Metallo, Toy Man, the occasional brush with Lex.

She even started doing the time-skipping to the Legion of Superheroes thing.

I do remember her having the uncommon good taste to hang with Robin for a while making a sort of junior Bats/Supes duo that tussled with the Arkham crowd a bit.

So in fairness, on that front the pilot has already done more for her than most comic authors who seem content to re-hash Superman stories/challenges with a skirt.

More
01 Jun 2015 23:43 #42521 by castor
Wonder Woman is a pretty good character as part of the lead trio-in someways in fact shes much more suited for TV.

The nature of her power is actually very dramatically intresting-becuse virtually any character or situation can belivably be a threat: She can face, gods monster, superman, bank robbers, a guy in a street and she has actively defend herself from antagonism. She can beat up superman-and in the same story yes get gassed from behind. it does kind of work, so it always places her storys in a place if she will win-its not entirely uber yes, but i think it works and works well. She has to fight-superman Doesn't. Batman has to usually sneak-With Wonder Woman you can tell virtually any kind of story.

While Someone like Jean Grey would make a fairly poor character to base a trinity on make a show on. Her Basic Power: Telepathy is a really trick power to make dramatically intresting, as most stories are based to a degree on inbalance of information. A story where a detective goes into a crime scene and says "Your the murder" would be pretty borring. Theres a reason that Jean Grey(or for that matter Cyclops) have never gotten there own book-its kind of borring. You need characters who fit the world of drama.

More
Time to create page: 0.091 seconds