Amount:

Dinner Party, a novella

22 Mar 2017 19:10 #53271 by shadar
shadar created the topic: Dinner Party, a novella
Mike is an escapee from the high tech world who has used his small fortune to to build a mountaintop mansion that he shares with a remarkable girl who was originally born on the planet Velor. She is all that stands between the Arion Empire and Earth, but she is not a mighty Protector nor does she have any training for that role. Something she discovers very quickly when an innocent dinner party becomes a battleground between dark forces who want to destroy Earth and all its lifeforms.

In 2004, I wrote a short story called Dinner Party as a tribute to an Aurora Universe contributor named Mike. He wasn’t a prolific author, but he was the source of many ideas that became canon.

The characters I used were inspired by my circle of friends back when I was an executive in the high tech business in both California and SE Asia. A strange time filled with very strange people that culminated in a very odd dinner party. This story grew from that seed of reality… with a very great deal of amplification and no small amount of imagination.

That original short-story has now grown into a novella that is the beginning of what I hope will become a trilogy. It introduces several changes to AU canon that old readers might notice, but it's truly intended to introduce new readers to a 21st century version of the Aurora Universe.

This is also the first significant bit of writing I've done in years. Hope you enjoy it.

Shadar
March 22, 2017

The book is published in PDF form on Brantley's Bright Empire site, as he mentioned in his earlier post. Here's the direct link:

www.brightempire.com/DinnerParty.pdf
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, slim36, Dru1076, jay_manus, grungykitten

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• shadar
  • shadar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Legend of SWM
  • Legend of SWM
More
22 Mar 2017 22:09 #53273 by brantley
brantley replied the topic: Dinner Party, a novella
Any conceptual connection between your latest and stories like "Raptor" and "Nachalnik?"

• brantley
  • Uberposter of Distinction
More
23 Mar 2017 01:11 - 23 Mar 2017 12:01 #53275 by slim36
slim36 replied the topic: Dinner Party, a novella
some inspirational super models

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last Edit: 23 Mar 2017 12:01 by slim36.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shadar

More
23 Mar 2017 02:07 #53277 by shadar
shadar replied the topic: Dinner Party, a novella
The tall woman in lace is awesome...
The following user(s) said Thank You: slim36

• shadar
  • Away
  • Legend of SWM
  • Legend of SWM
More
24 Mar 2017 02:59 #53296 by shadar

brantley wrote: Any conceptual connection between your latest and stories like "Raptor" and "Nachalnik?"

I made no deliberate attempt to draw from those stories, but my thinking about AU concepts always shifts in degrees, and those stories were part of the process.

As far as the AU storyspace goes, "Dinner" shares no plot elements or characters with any other story.

This is new stuff, despite being inspired by a 2004 story. The world is basically our everyday Earth, where anything related to aliens and superheroes is merely fiction. And then the Supremis come.

• shadar
  • Away
  • Legend of SWM
  • Legend of SWM
More
24 Mar 2017 15:09 #53303 by brantley
TBE Stats reader show views up to 256 for the first two days!

--Brantley

• brantley
More
25 Mar 2017 01:41 #53328 by slim36

Can imagine if Transformers had been a superheroine vs the Transformers Rosie Huntington Whiteley could have defended earth from the robot invaders

This message has an attachment image.

More
25 Mar 2017 02:44 #53329 by slim36

This message has an attachment image.

More
25 Mar 2017 15:02 #53335 by brantley
Hits reached 322 yesterday.

--Brantley

• brantley
More
25 Mar 2017 16:22 #53336 by shadar

brantley wrote: Hits reached 322 yesterday.

--Brantley

Nice that somebody is reading it, but haven't heard from anyone yet. But it is a long story compared to most. Most people have real lives to live, so whenever is fine.

I mostly write these as a personal challenge to extend and improve my storytelling in this genre. I've always got new stories in my head, but only occasionally do I put the effort in to share one. But Dinner was fun to write given it was based on a real life event (albeit with HUGE embellishment and exaggeration).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395

• shadar
  • Away
  • Legend of SWM
  • Legend of SWM
More
25 Mar 2017 16:35 #53337 by brantley
I hardly ever get comments on my fiction any more. Activity is practically zilch at Yahoo groups I'm familiar with. And even here, people seem to be a lot more interested in the West Twins than in any of the fiction.

By the way, this is pure coincidence, but in Elizabeth Moon's Vatta's War series (2003-8, soon to have a new episode), there's a similar who-can-you-trust element. But in Moon's case, there's also a lot about space warfare and how it's affected by communication (ansibles, the loss thereof, and improvements thereto).

--Brantley

• brantley
More
25 Mar 2017 18:17 #53338 by circes_cup
circes_cup replied the topic: Dinner Party, a novella
I think the length of the story may be creating some additional lag time in everyone's response. Given a typical schedule, it may take more than one sitting to get through 95 pages. I finished it just last night.

First, it's a great feeling to be reading some "original Shadar" again. You were the writer that first introduced me to the fantasy of the super-strong woman, and it's a realm of fantasy that I've enjoyed now for nearly twenty years. It's nice to have a piece that returns us to the original days of the Velorians, the Arions, the orgone, the Protectors, the notion of earth as the antiquated progenitor of the galaxy's advanced civilizations.

On this story, I found it to be much more compact than your early work -- a setup, a conflict, a resolution of the conflict, a conclusion. That tighter design gave the story momentum and tension, which is important to me. It's one thing so say "she was really strong and really pretty", but it's only when those attributes are placed in the context of a good story that they come to life for me. This story did that.

My favorite part was the twist in the middle. I'm not going to spoil for anyone else. It was a complete and chilling surprise for me, and I thought it was very well done.

Hope you keep writing!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, shadar

More
25 Mar 2017 19:42 #53341 by shadar

circes_cup wrote: I think the length of the story may be creating some additional lag time in everyone's response. Given a typical schedule, it may take more than one sitting to get through 95 pages. I finished it just last night.

First, it's a great feeling to be reading some "original Shadar" again. You were the writer that first introduced me to the fantasy of the super-strong woman, and it's a realm of fantasy that I've enjoyed now for nearly twenty years. It's nice to have a piece that returns us to the original days of the Velorians, the Arions, the orgone, the Protectors, the notion of earth as the antiquated progenitor of the galaxy's advanced civilizations.

On this story, I found it to be much more compact than your early work -- a setup, a conflict, a resolution of the conflict, a conclusion. That tighter design gave the story momentum and tension, which is important to me. It's one thing so say "she was really strong and really pretty", but it's only when those attributes are placed in the context of a good story that they come to life for me. This story did that.

My favorite part was the twist in the middle. I'm not going to spoil for anyone else. It was a complete and chilling surprise for me, and I thought it was very well done.

Hope you keep writing!

This is some of the most useful feedback I've ever received, Circes. Yes, I was trying to make it tighter than my old style, and to toss in both a mid-point surprise and some decent tension and action along with a denouement at the end. All things I was historically bad at doing. To show a little more than merely tell.

I'm very pleased to hear that some of that worked.

Shadar

• shadar
  • Away
  • Legend of SWM
  • Legend of SWM
More
27 Mar 2017 17:25 #53363 by pithlit
pithlit replied the topic: Dinner Party, a novella
It did take a while to read.

I totally loved this story. Everything I would want a super story to be.

I feel a whole door of writing has been opened to me.

More
28 Mar 2017 01:22 #53367 by shadar

pithlit wrote: It did take a while to read.

I totally loved this story. Everything I would want a super story to be.

I feel a whole door of writing has been opened to me.

Now you are getting me excited. Which is good since this is book 1 of a trilogy.

Tks for the kind words...

Shadar

• shadar
  • Away
  • Legend of SWM
  • Legend of SWM
More
28 Mar 2017 14:38 #53374 by pithlit
So I'm getting into this Velorian thing.

A few questions.

I've seen the term Aurora Universe.

AU-1
AU-2
AU-3

Can someone please explain these too me?

More
28 Mar 2017 14:52 #53376 by brantley

• brantley
More
28 Mar 2017 15:32 #53377 by Woodclaw
Woodclaw replied the topic: Dinner Party, a novella

pithlit wrote: So I'm getting into this Velorian thing.

A few questions.

I've seen the term Aurora Universe.

AU-1
AU-2
AU-3

Can someone please explain these too me?

These numbers indicates the different incarnations of the Aurora Universe based mostly on Shadar's development and choices.

AU-1 was the early incarnation built around a single character: Aurora Fairchild.

AU-2 is the most well known incarnation an it's the one based around the Infinity Bridge archive and this is more or less where Brantley, Velvet, the late Mac and so on came on-board.

AU-3 is the current iteration.

(formerly Anon, still Librarian)

"What is the point of having free will if one cannot occasionally spit in the eye of destiny?" ("Gentleman" John Marcone)

• Woodclaw
  • Away
  • Librarian
  • Librarian
More
28 Mar 2017 16:13 - 28 Mar 2017 16:14 #53379 by brantley
My link above Woodclaw's post is more canonical, and a lot more detailed -- with Shadar himself weighing in on AU-2.

--J.J.
Last Edit: 28 Mar 2017 16:14 by brantley.

• brantley
More
28 Mar 2017 21:31 #53383 by pithlit
Thanks for all the replies.

I have a great starting place now.

Looks like I have reading that will take me through the summer now.

More
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds