Amount

Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)

14 May 2015 10:19 #41994 by dave147
Replied by dave147 on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
totally awesome even trailer is super I expect at this early stage just a 30 sec with supergirl flying if lucky for a brief not a 6 min one is beyond anything I expectand i cant wait to nov full pilot and esps just super super that all I can say
The topic has been locked.
More
14 May 2015 10:50 #41995 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
I LOVE the second look!

I would be perfectly happy if this was her final version.
The glasses really do it for me.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan
More
14 May 2015 13:56 #41997 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
If you liked it, check out the front page blog for more Super Goodness! ;)
  • lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
14 May 2015 14:22 #41998 by jdrock24
Replied by jdrock24 on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
I'm sorry for this, but I guess I'm going to be "that guy" here.

Don't get me wrong, the action scenes look incredible, and I'm really looking forward to those. However, the rest of it does not look appealing to me at all.

Let me stress the words "to me". I know that this show is not targeted at my demographic (middle aged man). It is being targeted to younger women so CBS probably couldn't care less about whether or not I watch. It just looks too formulaic in the "young girl stuck in crappy job and wants to do better" type of genre, like the movie Devil Wears Prada or the Black Widow SNL skit we saw just last week. I can already hear the internet cries of "RIPOFF!!!" and "FAIL!!!"screaming through my computer.

It was always going to be hard to write this show without being able to show Superman which is why that last scene with her and Olsen seems confusing. I found myself asking "Okay,, Superman is giving her his baby blanket, how nice. Why doesn't he come and do it himself instead of going through Jimmy?"

Oh well, I have a 9 year old daughter so maybe I'll watch it with her and see what she thinks. I'll be watching just for the action scenes.
More
14 May 2015 17:00 #42001 by oldHarmonyMotion
Replied by oldHarmonyMotion on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
Nobody commented on the first scene in the pilot where she bumps into a guy and he just bounces off of her. I thought that was a nice touch.
  • oldHarmonyMotion
More
14 May 2015 17:12 #42003 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
WOW! I loved the, "It's not a bird, it's not a plane, it's not a man, it's Supergirl! MB is so cute in her red and blues, the perfect dream girl next door. I ran it by a focus group of one, my mid twenties daughter and she liked it and said that she will watch it. She started telling me about who all the hot guys were on the show and what they had done in the past. She said that the guy on the roof when she falls off is a very talented singer and she and her friends think he is very hot. They watch Flash and Arrow for the same reason, to check out the hot guys.

My over all take on this is that they spared no expense on getting the right talent to put around MB and most likely really did their homework. I thought in her brief appearance, Caliesta Flockhart came off as an excellent female version of Lex Luthor. And yes, it did bring back memories of MS in the Devil wears Prada, only a younger, hotter version. She will be the one we love to hate. That Hans Solo guy is really lucky as she is very easy on the eyes! Like most TV shows, it will ultimately come down to how good the writers are. I hope they will put the same resources into that as they have into the casting and production values thus far. Like they always say, "No guts, no glory," and in this case, guts refers to money put out by CBS and I hope they get a monster return on this gamble.
More
14 May 2015 17:16 #42004 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
I have to say the music is the weakest part of this. Better choices and this would have knocked itself even higher (but make it makes it score better with the target demo).

That said, I really like what I see so far. "adorkable" is the right word to describe Melissa Benoist, and she really does sell both Kara and Supergirl. It might seem odd, but she has great shoulders, which does make her look awesome in her Supergirl uniform. I love the entire expression during the walk into bullets thing.

The action scenes are great, I can't wait to see more and see them in context.

I had been a bit worried about the costume -- it was shown as dark in the promo shots, but it looks really great here. And, as I suspected, when it's being worn and moved in, it looks great. I'm still not quit sold on the S-Logo, but she sells it.

Not sure about all the personal dynamics of the show, we'll have to see them in place more. From the plot we'd heard, it seemed like her sister might have been jealous/mean, and some of that comes through here -- but she also is supportive at the end of the trailer. So not a lex author/bad girl vibe, I think I'll like the more positive interaction shown here.

I like not having the stupid drama over secret ID, but it also seems like a bit too many people know who she is. Also, I hope she doesn't stay a beat down lackey at work for long. I also don't think we know enough about Cat Grant to really judge her from this. I hope she has more nuance in her character on the show.

And it seems REALLY odd that Superman would send James Olson to give her his baby blanket as a cape, and tell her what he things. It seems very ... cold. He's literally the only tie she has to her ENTIRE HOMEWARD, and he sends a messenger boy? I guess there is a them "Superman is a dick", but I don't think this is the message they were trying to send. ;-)

I also hope they explore a bit about her being really alien, far more than Clark is. In a very real sense Clark was born on Earth. Kara was born on Krypton. I could see her burying that part of her thru trauma. And now she'll be dealing with some of that, and that could make some interesting stories. I suspect that they'll make ti seem all good. I hope not, I hope for something more than just some angsty "My planet blew up" but some real indication of what it's like, and how she had to learn to cope. Still the tone is light, so it's also a thing we should only see in more quiet moments, little beats to show that her being positive and happy is a sign of great emotional strength.

It's also something that when she's being positive and happy, a character filled with light, that when she meets some of the more... angsty fellows and they take her for some bubblehead cheerleader, she can slap them down. "Oh, boo hoo. Your parents were shot in an alley and you saw it. I saw my ENTIRE PLANET explode."
More
14 May 2015 17:16 - 14 May 2015 17:21 #42005 by ace191
I noticed her knocking the guy several feet to the left as we'll and chuckled a bit when I saw it. I agree it was a nice touch. It's attention to detail that can turn agood show into a great one.
Last edit: 14 May 2015 17:21 by ace191.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan
More
14 May 2015 18:18 #42007 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
There are some points I don't like... for one, when she's talking to Alexa and she says she can lift a bus and is bulletproof and "I can fly... I think" was a problem for me. Not a problem with the shows drama or storyline or characters and actors, but its premise.

Its the idea that she's never tried out her Kryptonian abilities. Totally implausible.

She knows her history and origin, she certain sees and hears about her cousin all the time, but she's never tried to fly? How could anyone growing up on Earth with those astounding abilities never even try to use them. That's insane. Or at the very least, totally implausible. Any teenage girl (if not younger) will explore her limits.

But it's a premise of the show that will quickly be behind us, and most comic books have bizarre premises and backstories. But this one is weak. If she was so traumatized by Krypton's destruction and so smothered in her foster home as to not even try out her abilities, then she'd be a very scarred, screwed-up young woman. Instead, she seems quite together.

Further, once she does try to fly (a few awkward bounces along a dark alleyway) she suddenly is so good at it that she can lift a crashing airliner over a bridge and everything else. I know, its a comic book, but still.

Clark's inability to fly in Smallville was also bizarre, but plausible. He simply didn't believe he could do it. He tried and failed all the time. Kara in Supergirl, in contrast, believes she can, but she just hasn't bothered to try until her sister is in trouble.

Try to put yourself in her place. If you were Kryptonian, would you grow up into your mid-twenties without even TRYING to use your birth abilities? It's inconceivable.

Anyway, this is a comics-inspired show, so these kinds of nonsensical things will necesssarily be part of it. But I hope they come up with a better explanation for her restraint than we've seen so far.

Shadar
  • shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
14 May 2015 18:29 #42008 by inactive
Replied by inactive on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
Does anybody have a still or screencap of Kara giving the "thumbs up" from the second (short) trailer?

- GeekSeven
More
14 May 2015 18:29 - 14 May 2015 18:46 #42009 by lfan
Lots of chatter, but this one was particularly interesting as it involved a little flirtatious courting between Laura Vandervoort and Supergirl producer, Andrew Kreisberg, after LvV commented on the trailer:

@AJKreisberg: @Vandiekins22 We hope you'll come play with us one day! #Supergirl

@Vandiekins22: In a heartbeat ⚡️

Just innocent twitter banter but that would be the bomb to have LvV guest-star as in the future

ElF
Last edit: 14 May 2015 18:46 by lfan.
  • lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
14 May 2015 18:45 #42011 by bach2990
Replied by bach2990 on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
I hope one day, it well be real.
More
14 May 2015 18:52 #42012 by shadar
I suppose we will have to endure a bunch of reviews like this from The Daily Beast:

www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/05/1...ss-of-superhero.html

Where I can, I'm adding positive comments to reviews. A battle will be fought in social/news media over this, so every voice can make a difference. We aren't many, but we can be loud.

Shadar
The following user(s) said Thank You: SCOTT R
  • shadar
More
14 May 2015 19:05 #42014 by lfan

shadar wrote: I suppose we will have to endure a bunch of reviews like this from The Daily Beast:

Where I can, I'm adding positive comments to reviews. A battle will be fought in social/news media over this, so every voice can make a difference. We aren't many, but we can be loud.

Shadar

Her opening complaint:
"She’s a sweet-hearted single gal who’s a klutz around men, hides behind a sensible ponytail and glasses, and can’t quite figure out how to make the most of her potential"

Very non-empowering and pathetic is right....sounds a little like Clark Kent....
The following user(s) said Thank You: oldHarmonyMotion
  • lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
14 May 2015 19:22 #42015 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)

shadar wrote: There are some points I don't like... for one, when she's talking to Alexa and she says she can lift a bus and is bulletproof and "I can fly... I think" was a problem for me. Not a problem with the shows drama or storyline or characters and actors, but its premise.

Its the idea that she's never tried out her Kryptonian abilities. Totally implausible.

She knows her history and origin, she certain sees and hears about her cousin all the time, but she's never tried to fly? How could anyone growing up on Earth with those astounding abilities never even try to use them. That's insane. Or at the very least, totally implausible. Any teenage girl (if not younger) will explore her limits.

But it's a premise of the show that will quickly be behind us, and most comic books have bizarre premises and backstories. But this one is weak. If she was so traumatized by Krypton's destruction and so smothered in her foster home as to not even try out her abilities, then she'd be a very scarred, screwed-up young woman. Instead, she seems quite together.

Further, once she does try to fly (a few awkward bounces along a dark alleyway) she suddenly is so good at it that she can lift a crashing airliner over a bridge and everything else. I know, its a comic book, but still.

Clark's inability to fly in Smallville was also bizarre, but plausible. He simply didn't believe he could do it. He tried and failed all the time. Kara in Supergirl, in contrast, believes she can, but she just hasn't bothered to try until her sister is in trouble.

Try to put yourself in her place. If you were Kryptonian, would you grow up into your mid-twenties without even TRYING to use your birth abilities? It's inconceivable.

Anyway, this is a comics-inspired show, so these kinds of nonsensical things will necesssarily be part of it. But I hope they come up with a better explanation for her restraint than we've seen so far.

Shadar

I'm going into this from a slightly different perspective Shadar. In many modern retolds of Superman's story ever since the original Crisis the assumption is that flight is one of the last, if not the last ability that a Kryptonian develops under a yellow sun. As such we can assume that Kara had tried in the past, but failed because he cells weren't charged enough. She knows she should be able to fly because Clark flies, but she hasn't been able to do it yet. She knows she has other abilities because she had tested her limits before -- as you suggest -- but flight is still an unknown quantity for her.
On the subejct of her being able to master her powers in a matter of minutes ... this is unfortunately very in line with the source material. As far as I remember the only time someone remembered that there should be difficulties for a Kryptonian, other than Clark, to master his extra powers was in "Man of Steel".
More
14 May 2015 19:26 #42016 by lfan

Woodclaw wrote:

shadar wrote: There are some points I don't like... for one, when she's talking to Alexa and she says she can lift a bus and is bulletproof and "I can fly... I think" was a problem for me. Not a problem with the shows drama or storyline or characters and actors, but its premise.

Shadar

I'm going into this from a slightly different perspective Shadar. In many modern retolds of Superman's story ever since the original Crisis the assumption is that flight is one of the last, if not the last ability that a Kryptonian develops under a yellow sun. As such we can assume that Kara had tried in the past, but failed because he cells weren't charged enough. She knows she should be able to fly because Clark flies, but she hasn't been able to do it yet. She knows she has other abilities because she had tested her limits before -- as you suggest -- but flight is still an unknown quantity for her.
On the subejct of her being able to master her powers in a matter of minutes ... this is unfortunately very in line with the source material. As far as I remember the only time someone remembered that there should be difficulties for a Kryptonian, other than Clark, to master his extra powers was in "Man of Steel".

If the complaint is that she seemed to master flight too quickly, a "more realistic, slower learning curve" alternative HAS been done before -- Smallville! It took him 10 seasons to learn how to fly. :P

ElF
The following user(s) said Thank You: oldHarmonyMotion
  • lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
14 May 2015 19:53 #42018 by shadar

lfan wrote:

shadar wrote: I suppose we will have to endure a bunch of reviews like this from The Daily Beast:

Shadar

Her opening complaint:
"She’s a sweet-hearted single gal who’s a klutz around men, hides behind a sensible ponytail and glasses, and can’t quite figure out how to make the most of her potential"

Very non-empowering and pathetic is right....sounds a little like Clark Kent....

Exactly... why is it OK for Clark to act this way but not Kara? That's feminism speaking. I figured show show would be on safe ground by dumping more than her fair share of Clarkisms into the story, but apparently not for some.

However, I think this will play just fine with the audience that's likely to watch the show.

Shadar
  • shadar
More
14 May 2015 20:01 #42020 by shadar

Woodclaw wrote:

Shadar

You've just provided a plausible explanation, Woodclaw. She simply hasn't been able to, but when her sister is in danger, she makes a breakthrough. That works. There are other ways to do that as well. But the trailers didn't address it. Whether the show will, or whether they'll just blow past it, is an open question.

When I try to look at this logically (always a challenge with comic book characters), flight would seem to be something that would take a LOT of practice to get right. All the reflexes that we use to walk around are suddenly wrong. Hell, even birds have to learn now to fly, and are not skillful for some time. Something I enjoy watching every Spring.

Kryptonians didn't fly on their home planet, so they've got to learn.

Anyway, its something I think Smallville handled fairly well, but so far, Supergirl does not. Not exactly a nit, but not a deal breaker.

And don't forget, Smallville established the stated premise that Kryptonian girls mature faster than boys, which is why Smallville's Kara could fly with great skill when Clark could only crash.

For what its worth...

Shadar
  • shadar
More
14 May 2015 21:45 #42022 by fats
Replied by fats on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
in less than 24 hours the trailer has amassed more than 1.5 MILLION hits.

this has traction and the buzz is growing.

oh, BTW this site had it's biggest hit count yesterday at over 1200 hits, not bad for a active membership of only 328

Fats
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe
  • fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
15 May 2015 02:41 #42025 by fats
Replied by fats on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
5 hours and a million hits

Fats
  • fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
15 May 2015 03:40 #42026 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)

lfan wrote:

Shadar

Her opening complaint:

Almost ALL of the comments are "this review is bad", "hey, that sounds like Clark Kent", etc. A few people didn't like the trailer -- but almost none of them walked away with the opinion of the article. The negative comments (on Supergirl) were a tiny minority and a LOT of people took offense with the tone of the article.
More
15 May 2015 03:55 #42027 by AuGoose
Replied by AuGoose on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
So how many episodes do you think we'll get before she re-heats her boss' latte with heat vision after being unavoidably delayed by a bit of heroing?

I'm guessing 3. I can just feel it coming. ;)
More
15 May 2015 04:14 #42028 by shadar

TwiceOnThursdays wrote:

lfan wrote:

Shadar

Her opening complaint:

Almost ALL of the comments are "this review is bad", "hey, that sounds like Clark Kent", etc. A few people didn't like the trailer -- but almost none of them walked away with the opinion of the article. The negative comments (on Supergirl) were a tiny minority and a LOT of people took offense with the tone of the article.

Based on the comments (presumably) Daily Beast changed the headline for the article on their main page, where it had high billing. Instead of "Awful" they changed it to "supercliched". Title on the article itself didn't change though.

What that says is that their editor saw and responded to the comments and the tone of the article. That was good.

Usually comments are a waste on News sites, but if you get in with a well-written, sane comment when there are less than 50 or so of them, you sometimes can influence things. DC/Warner/CBS or their agents mine information from social, entertainment and news media and put together presentations to the decision makers about what viewers think. It would be interesting to see how they organize and categorize them.

The best you can hope for is to post an early comment that is written well enough that portions of it might be quoted in their reports to illustrate what some groups of people are saying.

Shadar
  • shadar
More
15 May 2015 05:00 #42029 by ace191
Well, my wife loved it as well. Starting as a shy, clumbsy nerd is not all bad. Hopefully we will get a chance to watch her tgrow into being a confident, skilled young lady, a transition that I will enjoy watching.
More
15 May 2015 06:51 #42031 by ace191
3.5 million hits as of now.
More
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds