Amount

Season 1 x 02 Spoilers and Discussions Stronger Together

03 Nov 2015 15:24 #44974 by kikass2014
Just saw the second episode and I really can't add anymore then whats already been said in terms of a review :)

I think all the points made so far in this thread are valid, though I'm not sure it was that much of a "filler" episode, as they was a bit of world-building in this episode and character development. Curious to see how that develops throughout the season.

Having said that, I thought the episode was a blast :) I personally really liked it, making it 2 out of 2 so far for me :) The star of the show is without a doubt Benoist. And like others have said, the show would not be anywhere near as good without her. I can now understand Berlanti's comment on the show not existing without her.

Will be waiting with baited breath for next Tuesday :)

Peace.

/K
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Nov 2015 19:42 #44980 by jdrock24
Saw episode 2 last night and loved it.

Really, the only thing I have a problem with right now is the huge shadow Superman is casting over the show. Where is he? Why doesn't he help Kara with her training? I understand that he is busy and they made the point that "he likes to work alone" but still, there is a Kryptonian invasion going on and he doesn't seem to care? They have to find some way to get rid of him as soon as they can IMO. Send him off into space or have Astra capture him...I don't know...just do something. The idea that he is in Metropolis just hanging out while this global threat is going on is silly.

Besides that complaint, I'm especially pleased by the quality of the special effects, especially the flying scenes. Sure, I would have liked to see her actually lift the ambulance and the car but I realize it is a show and those effects probably aren't in the budget.

More
03 Nov 2015 21:59 #44981 by MackTheMouse2
Maybe I'm asking too much, but I would love some more realistic / consistent physics modelling. One punch sends Kara flying, through several walls... then a few moments later barely knocks her head around. A superspeed push crumples a support girder, and a (probably) nearly full strength hairgrab/headslam into the same pillar doesn't dent it at all.

I liked the metal deforming on the bow of the ship and pulling a little too hard, a great visual strength feat. But at that level of strength, someone shouldn't get knocked back a few feet. Unless the 'flight' power is basically 'make myself stationary at the same level of strength as everything else I do'. Someone who can root themselves enough to crumple a speeding truck in episode 1... I suppose that could counter an impact while flying.

I just wish they'd use a minute or two of an upcoming episode to explain the physics. "How can you stop a truck?" "I just think, 'I want to be right here'. It's like the opposite of how I fly. I want to be over there... really, really, fast."

More
03 Nov 2015 22:12 #44982 by shadar
1) The Maxwell Lord TV interview was an interesting twist, where he says that Metropolis has had all these alien encounters since Superman arrived, and we don't want that here in National City. As if there is a wall between them that not even Superman an penetrate.

I recall old (as in very old) discussions about Superman where it was discussed that if Superman hadn't come to Earth, then most of the people he fought wouldn't have come either. So was Earth less safe with Superman protecting it than if he'd never come? The kind of thing only a comic book geek would worry about.

Anyway, Maxwell Lord was echoing that sentiment, and in this case, it appears to be true. If not for Kara showing herself, all those bad guys would still be hiding. I enjoyed seeing that here.

2) The introduction of Kryptonite (come on, you knew it was coming). That itself didn't bother me, but rather the way Astra decides they've got to slow down and keep their head down a bit more because of it. Actually, it was both the Green-K and the fact that Kara is (unexpectedly) opposing them. Like they'd figured it would be easy to walk all over the humans.

That really, REALLY poses the Superman question. Clearly he's a far more formidable opponent than Kara, except that for reasons they haven't explained, he apparently can't travel as far as National City. That's a huge weakness for the show, far larger than the training question. and so far they haven't come up with anything to explain it other than "let Kara become a hero on her own". That doesn't begin to work given all the alien freaks (and Kryptonians) that Fort Roz dumped on Earth.

They've got to find a plausible way out of that (assuming there is one which I can't think of) or else be honest and just say that its a "copyright/studio kind of thing" and handle it in the real world. That would be a major cop-out for a comic book inspired show. One rule of comicdom is that everything can be explained in the fictional world.

I hope this isn't a sign of general sloppiness in writing that will spill over into other areas (some of which are already shaky).

So far I give the Writing a D, Directing a C (by TV standards) and Special Effects a B+ (by TV standards). But Melissa gets an A so I'll keep watching, hoping for improvement in the writing.

Shadar

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
03 Nov 2015 22:15 #44983 by AlbertC
Just watched Episode 02 now, and despite all the mentions to Superman, I like the fact he isn't appearing and it is just a simple mention, but I expect this may decrease over time. Not necessary to say that I'm really glad with the two Superbreath scenes.

More
03 Nov 2015 22:19 #44984 by shadar

MackTheMouse2 wrote: Maybe I'm asking too much, but I would love some more realistic / consistent physics modelling. One punch sends Kara flying, through several walls... then a few moments later barely knocks her head around. A superspeed push crumples a support girder, and a (probably) nearly full strength hairgrab/headslam into the same pillar doesn't dent it at all.

I liked the metal deforming on the bow of the ship and pulling a little too hard, a great visual strength feat. But at that level of strength, someone shouldn't get knocked back a few feet. Unless the 'flight' power is basically 'make myself stationary at the same level of strength as everything else I do'. Someone who can root themselves enough to crumple a speeding truck in episode 1... I suppose that could counter an impact while flying.

I just wish they'd use a minute or two of an upcoming episode to explain the physics. "How can you stop a truck?" "I just think, 'I want to be right here'. It's like the opposite of how I fly. I want to be over there... really, really, fast."

One plausible spin they could employ to explain some of this is that her reflexes and ability to use her flight power are slower than a punch. We've seen that enough in the comics where a superpowered punch sent someone flying through walls, only to catch themselves in mid-air and fly back to attack. That would explain why she can pull a ship but still gets knocked around in a fight. Flight power is a conscious thing that requires her to either plan ahead (like she did when hitting the truck) or she gets behind the power curve.

Presumably with experience she'll get better at applying flight power more effectively. When you think about it, the most important skill in applying superstrength is to back it up with flight power. Otherwise you are limited to crushing things with hands or arms/legs.

Anyway, that's how I'd deal with it in the fictional 'verse. I'd make that biggest part of her fight training.

• shadar
More
04 Nov 2015 01:21 #44988 by YAGS

AlbertC wrote: Not necessary to say that I'm really glad with the two Superbreath scenes.

Really? I thought they were awful.

Again, I wish they'd slow down enough to actually show us what's happening. I know things like showing Kara carrying the car or ambulance would push their fx budget up. But taking a second or two to focus on the face of a kryptonian woman blowing with her superbreath would just give us a chance to take in the action, without costing any more.

More
04 Nov 2015 03:25 #44989 by shadar

YAGS wrote:

AlbertC wrote: Not necessary to say that I'm really glad with the two Superbreath scenes.

Again, I wish they'd slow down enough to actually show us what's happening. I know things like showing Kara carrying the car or ambulance would push their fx budget up. But taking a second or two to focus on the face of a kryptonian woman blowing with her superbreath would just give us a chance to take in the action, without costing any more.

We have to remember that they aren't making this show for us, the fans of SG. The people it's being made for don't care about seeing the feats, it's only important for them to know that they are happening. So a glimpse is plenty. They come for the interpersonal relationship stuff.

Far more important to them to discover who Kara's boyfriend will be, not what she an do or who she fights.

• shadar
More
04 Nov 2015 04:14 #44990 by YAGS
It's still a superhero show with lots of action. My complaint is that they're handling that action poorly. If they keep it up, they'll lose the superhero fans and be left with nothing but soap opera fans.

More
04 Nov 2015 21:44 #44999 by AlbertC

shadar wrote:

YAGS wrote:

We have to remember that they aren't making this show for us, the fans of SG. The people it's being made for don't care about seeing the feats, it's only important for them to know that they are happening. So a glimpse is plenty. They come for the interpersonal relationship stuff.

Far more important to them to discover who Kara's boyfriend will be, not what she an do or who she fights.

Let me explain better. Of course it wasn't the best scenes or the scenes I wished to see. But I was considering the possibility that wouldn't happen. In addition to shadar's words, I would say that there is a very thin line between action for the fans and ordinary viewers, and the success of the series, it is mandatory to walk in this line.

More
05 Nov 2015 03:13 #45002 by lojack
Something to note is that this is more of a first episode in a production since the pilot. I expect a regular shooting schedule and better coordination with the various film crews as well as practical and digital effects will yield a better product, question is how soon can they gel? Some of the practical effects were good, most of the digital were fair to "I'm a cgi effect!" As for the inconsistency of action, that is writing wanting certain visuals, although toning down the wirework fighting would help, can't fix the physics of some actions in post.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan

More
05 Nov 2015 04:26 #45006 by castor

lojack wrote: Something to note is that this is more of a first episode in a production since the pilot. I expect a regular shooting schedule and better coordination with the various film crews as well as practical and digital effects will yield a better product, question is how soon can they gel? Some of the practical effects were good, most of the digital were fair to "I'm a cgi effect!" As for the inconsistency of action, that is writing wanting certain visuals, although toning down the wirework fighting would help, can't fix the physics of some actions in post.

These are probably going to be the effects for awhile.

Practical effects are very hard to do on a TV time frame, and so far so good its tricky. Digital effects even on 100 million dollar movie can be hit or miss.

But a lot of effects are dependent on cinemtography-and that is something that can improve. A show to to compare it to was s Powers a show that had god awful effects-part of the issue was that did try for a visual look they shot but becuse of the every show is in the can before we see anything they couldn't work to match. With this its much better. Its learning what looks good, and what doesn't, and how to use light and focus to make it seem more impressive- but that takes time. i suspect your going to get improvement certainly by next season

As for the stunts-one of the things about the show is the Stunt team has done some pretty good work before-but i still don't think they understand it. Ubergirl fights are tricky to do. At one level its just two people slugging each other at another its effortless wire work.

But agian you know give it time. they could get there but its not going to be a one week or a 10 week thing. for an example take al ook at Izombie a show that in its second year has its effects improve a lot. So will see.

More
05 Nov 2015 05:34 #45008 by shadar
I was watching EP2 again tonight, and one thing caught me that I'd forgotten about on the first viewing. In the beginning, when she's breaking the sound barrier and dodging explosive missiles, there are a bunch of tables set up below with technicians working at them. So far so good. Everyone's doing their job.

But when she drops from the sky to land in the middle of the team, none of the technicians even look up at her.

Excuse me, but I don't care who you are or what you're into, if Supergirl lands in front of you after exploding missiles over your head and breaking the sound barrier, you are going to be gawking and having one hell of a problem focusing on your work.

Related to that is the way Hank and the DEO treat her. He does the "Oh, its Miss Danvers and her sister from another star" with no more emotion than "Oh, it's your sister from Philadelphia." Also, nobody at the DEO looks at her when she's walking around except Alex and Hank.

They are WAY underplaying those scenes. A cute alien girl from Krypton walking around in a costume isn't something people ignore.

I know they are trying to portray the DEO as an organization focused on aliens, and all professional and everything, but it isn't like these people have had any of these aliens walking around their building before.

Has Superman completely desensitized everyone to the idea of Kryptonians? I don't buy it. His presence would fire up tremendous enthusiasm and celebrity worship like we've never seen. And Kara... even more so.

In this area, the directing and writing can be greatly improved.

Shadar

• shadar
More
05 Nov 2015 10:37 #45010 by lfan

shadar wrote: I was watching EP2 again tonight, and one thing caught me that I'd forgotten about on the first viewing. In the beginning, when she's breaking the sound barrier and dodging explosive missiles, there are a bunch of tables set up below with technicians working at them. So far so good. Everyone's doing their job.

But when she drops from the sky to land in the middle of the team, none of the technicians even look up at her.

Excuse me, but I don't care who you are or what you're into, if Supergirl lands in front of you after exploding missiles over your head and breaking the sound barrier, you are going to be gawking and having one hell of a problem focusing on your work.

Related to that is the way Hank and the DEO treat her. He does the "Oh, its Miss Danvers and her sister from another star" with no more emotion than "Oh, it's your sister from Philadelphia." Also, nobody at the DEO looks at her when she's walking around except Alex and Hank.

They are WAY underplaying those scenes. A cute alien girl from Krypton walking around in a costume isn't something people ignore.

I know they are trying to portray the DEO as an organization focused on aliens, and all professional and everything, but it isn't like these people have had any of these aliens walking around their building before.

Has Superman completely desensitized everyone to the idea of Kryptonians? I don't buy it. His presence would fire up tremendous enthusiasm and celebrity worship like we've never seen. And Kara... even more so.

In this area, the directing and writing can be greatly improved.

Shadar

Great point, Shadar! I kinda thought the same thing at the dock scene where she lands to help no one appears to really pay attention. When she starts blowing, the people behind her don't even look either. Considering she's new at this, one would think people would be in awe or at least curious. If not the DEO, then just regular firemen!

ElF

• lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
05 Nov 2015 15:14 #45013 by lojack
Definitely. There is a budget limit, and these shows use it all up. Heck, they used a digital DfN shot of the military trucks driving into the DEO rather than shooting a separate night version of the shot. Have a feeling that if you pay attention, you may see other 'clip library' shots. Save the pennies!

But production aside, I do think they did a pretty decent job on casting, I can't think of any of the main cast that seems wrong. I think they have more of comic Cat in her character than Jimmy from his, but Melissa gets extra credit for being good at projecting joy of being Supergirl.

More
05 Nov 2015 22:26 #45016 by Sarge395
Any of us and most members of John Q Public would be gawking, asking for photos, selfies, autographs, drooling, and so on. I can see maybe the DEO being less star struck.

I spent a year about 200 meters from an artillery unit. With the big guns. At first I would flinch. By halfway through I would sleep through calls for fire at 3 AM.

• Sarge395
More
05 Nov 2015 23:44 #45019 by Markiehoe
I agree with Sarge on this one.
When I write stories the Super types are treated like Rock stars.
Some people go all star struck around them while others could not care less.

More
09 Nov 2015 19:14 #45064 by unseen_unheard
I just got around to watching this episode. I have nothing of substance to add, but I noticed that one of the TV reporters was played by the guy who played Perd Hapley . This can only mean one thing: Supergirl / Parks and Recreation crossover! :lol:

More
09 Nov 2015 20:16 #45065 by castor

unseen_unheard wrote: I just got around to watching this episode. I have nothing of substance to add, but I noticed that one of the TV reporters was played by the guy who played Perd Hapley . This can only mean one thing: Supergirl / Parks and Recreation crossover! :lol:

I challenge you to write as your winter contest entry to write a Supergirl/ Parks and Recreation cross over Fan Fic!

More
11 Nov 2015 23:44 #45110 by erikphandel
Just watched this one, must say it is a bit worse than the pilot. Way too much expository and cliché dialogue made me cringe A LOT. Like, literally facepalming in most of Alex's lines. But I'm glad too see the special effects got a lot better. Also the Helgrammite was cool as fuck, shame he is only set for this episode

More
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds