Amount

Season 4 x 05 Parasite Lost

10 Nov 2018 05:15 #61922 by Random321
Season 4 x 05 Parasite Lost was created by Random321
Some may know I'm a big Parasite fan.  I was disappointed at the quick dispatch of Parasite a few seasons ago.  So I'm going into this episode with high hopes.  You've got to help me get them down.  I'll start:
  • They are going to have "Dreamer" save SG at least once from Parasite.
  • They are going to have some other generic male character save SG at least once from Parasite.
  • They are going to resolve Parasite in one episode again.
  • SG will not resolve the Parasite threat.
  • SG and Parasite will be in this episode for the first 5 minutes and last 2 minutes.
  • Alex will say "this is one monster she can't fight" about SG at least three different times to three different people and directly to SG.
  • Hope you liked the teaser because that was the one SG vs Parasite scene you get...  ...she's going to jump under yellow light lamps or in a suit because she's done.
  • They are going to make it political:  Parasite will be made a hero going forward because re-distribution is good and SG is simply too strong OR the flip side Parasite is just another white male trying to keep women at 70% power er pay er power...
I like the show, I really do.  However, like Star Wars I find managing expectations leads to a better outcome.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Random321
  • Random321's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
10 Nov 2018 13:31 #61925 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Season 4 x 05 Parasite Lost
I don't generally watch or read spoilers for next weeks episode, so can't really comment, sry :(

We'll see how it pans out.

Peace.

/K

More
13 Nov 2018 22:41 #62010 by Random321
Replied by Random321 on topic Season 4 x 05 Parasite Lost
Maybe I killed the conversation/thread with my first post. Maybe people are stopping watching (tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/supergirl-season-four-ratings/ kind of a disaster in the Demo). Maybe there just isn't much to say that's not already been said. Maybe all three.

Manged expectations lead to an okay episode of Supergirl and Friends. I kind of feel like all the accolades and negatives have already been said so many times I don't want to be repetitive. So I'll just play high point/low point:

High Point: Supergirl super-speed and super-breath rescues of the four/five women.
Low Point: So much talk by Alex with a Hostbusters gun while everyone (including SG) just stands around. The speech wasn't that momentous.

My small hope: Jensen will be back from the desert facility for a proper battle at season end. Is there any reason to believe the parasite slug is not still in him even if a vegetable?

What did Ben smash against the wall at the end?

Trying to enjoy this while it lasts. It's concerning when even comicboxcommentary.blogspot.com/ isn't quickly posting commentary anymore.

• Random321
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
14 Nov 2018 00:18 #62013 by fats
Replied by fats on topic Season 4 x 05 Parasite Lost
it looked like a jar of urine,

not liking the Colonel at all, I can see her turning the DEO into an army unit, and turning them from a peacekeeping/police unit to an all-out warfighting unit.

Fats

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
14 Nov 2018 00:43 #62014 by kikass2014
Yeah, I'm pretty much done with this show tbh.

High Point for me was Detective John Jones.
Low Point = pretty much everything else.

I liked the fact that the colonel started out as what appeared to an antagonist, but turned out to be supportive.

Oh, and then they made her a space racist.

Everyone is a space racist except Supergirl and friends.

Wth happened with the "holy" man's wife?  She got slighted and was like "screw it, I'm a space racist also"???  She seemed to be in a lot of photos with him, what happened?  Meh reasons.

After two pretty well written episodes, Supergirl is back to her true form.

Anywho, one less series to follow per week.

Peace.

/K

More
14 Nov 2018 01:46 #62015 by d_k_c
Replied by d_k_c on topic Season 4 x 05 Parasite Lost
I might regret saying this....But I find myself yearning for a more campy, off the wall batman/black scorpion type supergirl series. Regrettably, Supergirl's writing is brutal, especially considering their message is politically driven and genuinely meant to be an important one. But the message comes off like pandering lectures of unintelligent children and uneducated drug users. Is that harsh? I hope not, I was actually trying to be sensitive with my comment for fear that the writers of the show actually read this....Then I thought, Don't be stupid dkc...These people can't read. 

Love em, hate him, Mon el was good for the show. I think in hindsight the writers were too scared to make Supergril a lesbian. I think they regret that decision now. With no love interest, Supergirl is becoming extremely generic. Not even my wife will touch the show, and she watches everything.

It's a simple formula really. At least its supposed to be. Write down the rules for your character, Don't break those rules!

Write down the rules for your Villain, Don't break those rules!

Now develop them both...In sync with one another. But what happens in Supergirl, they develop a character and then change all the rules. Reign is the big baddy....Nope....3 old geriatric women from fucksville nowhere are. 

Reign is ultra tough and can kick SUpergirls ass? Well...depending on who's writing.

This season Mercy Graves is the villain? Nope...dead 4 episodes in. This dude that lost his mediocre house because of Aliens is the big threat?.....uhhh ok....sounds pretty scary..

The Russian Supergirl?....they haven't even introduced....it's as if they haven't exactly figure out what they want to do with her.

This season is a quagmire of clusterfucks that I find difficult to follow....Or have I just tuned out?

Anyways that my Supergirl rant....keeping in mind that Supergirl, is kind of my sports team. Sure the Oilers suck, and I bitch and complain about them all the time....Doesn't mean I don't still watch them play.

But

Heres hoping for a powergirl series and they take the Supergirl formula and they do the exact opposite. 

The following user(s) said Thank You: Monty, kikass2014, Starforge

More
14 Nov 2018 13:02 #62024 by Raa
Replied by Raa on topic Season 4 x 05 Parasite Lost
I can see SG, Alex, and Brainy leaving the DEO.  If the General control gets to insane.

More
15 Nov 2018 15:06 #62038 by five_red
Replied by five_red on topic Season 4 x 05 Parasite Lost

Random321 wrote: Maybe I killed the conversation/thread with my first post. Maybe people are stopping watching (tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/supergirl-season-four-ratings/ kind of a disaster in the Demo). Maybe there just isn't much to say that's not already been said. Maybe all three.

In terms of the ratings, while I don't watch Supergirl any more, I have been tracking the ratings for each of the main CW cape shows. Keep in mind, the CW network isn't as ratings sensitive as other networks like CBS.  As shows naturally lose ratings over time, it might be best to rate Supergirl by comparison to its long-running companion shows (Arrow, Flash, Legends,)  Flash is the high mark, typically getting almost twice the audience of the lower marks, Arrow and Legends. So where does Supergirl fall between Flash, and Arrow/Legends..?

There are two measurements: the demo (a measure of the 18-49 aged audience that CW's advertisers target), and the total (a measure of everyone, regardless of age.)

Season two (the first CW season) started out with Supergirl just a shade behind The Flash in terms of both the 18-49 demo, and the absolute total ratings.  By season's end, however, the demo had dropped to close to Arrow, while the total was about 2/3rds of a way between Flash and Arrow/Legends.  Season three saw Supergirl's demo dance up and down the 0.5 range, while the other three shows slowly lost ratings, so overall Supergirl gained slightly by comparison.  Supergirl's total viewers started out very close to Arrow and Legends, but at the season's mid-third the ratings slowly climbed until they almost met The Flash's (which were on a gradual downward slope.)  As the season ended, Supergirl's total ratings were roughly halfway between The Flash and Arrow/Legends.  Season four (the current season) started with The Flash well ahead in both demo and total viewers as usual, Supergirl and Arrow are close together at roughly half the audience of Flash in both demo and total, while Legends dropped in both demo and total so it forms a new low mark.  So far, all four shows have been on a downward slope in both demo and totals, steeper than previous seasons. (Incomplete ratings, not including +7 numbers from DVRs, suggests that Supergirl's most recent episode had a substantial drop however from the previous episode.)

The overall message is that Supergirl is about as popular as Arrow in terms of the demo and totals, but that all four cape shows are slowly declining month-on-month.

R5

More
15 Nov 2018 16:36 #62039 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Season 4 x 05 Parasite Lost
Sounds expected that shows would slowly decline in target viewers over multiple seasons until its time for a mercy killing. Novelty wears off and writers go off the rail as they try to bring new ideas in, but the television version of entropy wins in the end. 

Our early enthusiasm for Supergirl on the small screen was rewarded at first, and then started to leak away. Some of my all time favorite shows (think Firefly) didn't make it past the first season or two, where the energy was high and the concept simple and clear. If Firefly had gone for four seasons, it would have decayed like every other show. 

Worst example I can think of was Smallville, which other than my personal interest in episodes where Laura V came on board to play Supergirl, was unwatchable (by me) after season 1. It dragged on and one. Ten seasons I think. 

In my ideal world. the Supergirl TV show will end after Season 4 and be replaced by a Powergirl tv show with different writers and a very different flavor. No DEO or any of that stuff. If it stayed closer to the early PG comics, and focused on her dual life as Karen Starr, the CEO of a tech company and Powergirl, who doesn't take crap from anyone and is infamous politically incorrect and too willing to use her fists, it would be great fun. Especially seeing all the other characters and cultural forces of the 21st century trying to rein her in. 

But I'm dreaming. CW doesn't think that way, nor does their primary demographic. But it's nice to dream 20th century dreams sometimes. 

Shadar
The following user(s) said Thank You: theomach, Starforge

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
15 Nov 2018 20:21 #62043 by Random321
Replied by Random321 on topic Season 4 x 05 Parasite Lost
DKC - I think you're on to something about the show not having a formula and sticking to it being part of the reason people have bailed. Also, you are not alone about just wanting some fun camp in a show.

Five_Red - I have a challenge for you: Can you find the ratings trend for Wonder Woman, Lois and Clark, and the 6 Million Dollar man? I'm curious in particular about what might have killed off Lois and Clark from a viewership perspective: articles.latimes.com/1997-06-14/entertai...a-3130_1_bad-ratings There are main stream "hero" shows (Bonanza, Gunsmoke, ER, CSI) that have maintained over several years so I don't want to just accept the "everything fades" idea outright.

One interesting thing about ER and CSI is those shows have a "team" aspect that let's more viewers find a likable and identifiable character. SG lost or never had a "team" that clicked. Even Detective John Jones*** totally fragments what team there was. ***John should have his own show since, like kikass points out, he is great,

Shadar: Your description of Karen makes me think of Donald Trump. I'm starting to wonder about your earlier comments that SG/SM are just hard characters because they are "too" powerful. Might be worth a new thread: good story ideas for heroes that are too powerful.

Fats: If it was just a jar I guess they just wanted something for him to throw against the wall. I made the mistake thinking that it might be deeper and of some consequence. :^)

• Random321
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
17 Nov 2018 20:36 #62064 by five_red
Replied by five_red on topic Season 4 x 05 Parasite Lost

Random321 wrote: Five_Red - I have a challenge for you: Can you find the ratings trend for Wonder Woman, Lois and Clark, and the 6 Million Dollar man? I'm curious in particular about what might have killed off Lois and Clark from a viewership perspective: articles.latimes.com/1997-06-14/entertai...a-3130_1_bad-ratings There are main stream "hero" shows (Bonanza, Gunsmoke, ER, CSI) that have maintained over several years so I don't want to just accept the "everything fades" idea outright.

CSI / ER / Walking Dead

In all cases the trend tends to be that long running shows peak at around the third season (give or take), maintain that peak for a season or two, then go into a slow decline.

Ratings for classic shows are impossible to come by, it seems, without payments to Nielsen. Anyway, you can't really compare figures from the 1960s and 1970s with today' shows -- back then there was only three major US networks, and they weren't competing with DVD/BRs, video games, the internet, Netflix, etc. Shows like the SMDM could maintain an audience across seasons because there really wasn't anywhere else to go, aside from reading a book, listening to LPs, or visiting the cinema. Audiences couldn't afford to be fickle.

A factor that might inform the fickleness of audiences nowadays is the omnipresent availability of content. Suppose back in 1977 I stopped watching Wonder Woman, then a friend tells me that the recent episodes have been awesome -- there's really little I could do except look forward to some day in the distant future when I might happen across said episodes in syndication. Today, if I stop watching Supergirl, I know that the entire catalogue of episodes is merely a few clicks away on my smart tv. It's much easier to break ties with a show because you know there's zero forfeit to go back.

Btw, mentioning Wonder Woman -- Wonder Woman was never formally cancelled, according to a Starlog article published not long after the show 'ended'. It was put on hiatus because CBS wanted to focus on its failing sitcom offerings, but never got resumed.

Returning the discussion to Supergirl: I noticed that during season three, even Michelle Bacon (of the Maid of Might web site) had stopped commenting on episodes. She's quite active on Twitter, but I don't think she mentions the show much at all these days, despite being the creator of possibly the best Supergirl-specific web site (excluding blogs like Comicbox Commentary.) I kinda get the impression that the show isn't really Supergirl, which is presumably why genuine long-standing fans of the character are apathetic about it. For old-school Supergirl fans, we know that Kara is a very different character to Superman -- but I think the show wanted to stick as close as possible to Superman, presumably because of brand recognition, and because doing a female Superman is easier with the casual audience than actually trying to bring the real Kara Zor-El to the screen. You can't blame CW/WB for playing it safe, but it does mean that long-time fans don't recognise the character on screen.

(The irony here is that on the silver-screen DC may be introducing a Supergirl movie specifically to reset/reboot the grim-gritty Dawn of Justice Superman which has rankled with audiences.)

What about myself? I stopped watching Supergirl because the press releases about season two made it clear that the writing issues were unlike to be addressed, and (more importantly) that they were stripping the character of what little had differentiated her from Superman. I didn't sign on to watch "Superman", so being given "Superman in a skirt" was never going to work for me. Rather than carry on watching, getting frustrated and bitter, I figured it would be smarter to just recognise that the show wasn't pitched at genuine Supergirl fans like myself, but at the larger Superman-loving audience. Sure, it's disappointing to wait all this time for a Supergirl tv show, only to be served Superman instead, but breaking with the show early on meant I didn't let that disappointment fester into something far far more negative.

(Btw: If anyone is watching the thriller series The Little Drummer Girl, the lead in that show (Florence Pugh) is my current fav to play Supergirl on the silver screen. She can act (like proper acting -- her Lady Macbeth apparently wowed critics), she can do comedy, she looks classy, and (importantly) she has one of those slightly smokey voices that exudes confidence. Pic 1 / Pic 2 / Vid .)

R5
The following user(s) said Thank You: Starforge

More
17 Nov 2018 23:33 - 17 Nov 2018 23:34 #62065 by kikass2014

...I didn't sign on to watch "Superman", so being given "Superman in a skirt" ....I figured it would be smarter to just recognise that the show wasn't pitched at genuine Supergirl fans like myself, but at the larger Superman-loving audience.....

I get what you are saying, and thats fair enough.

For me, I don't mind that they made Kara into "Superman in a skirt".  The problem for me is, the show isn't EVEN that now.

It may have been, on occasion or more consistently, a while back.  Its certainly isn't that anymore.

Thats why I, and probably a few others, have tuned out.

Peace.

/K
Last edit: 17 Nov 2018 23:34 by kikass2014.

More
27 Apr 2019 16:49 #63816 by jay_manus
Replied by jay_manus on topic Season 4 x 05 Parasite Lost
I haven’t watched SG since season 1, for all the reasons mentioned above. I just don’t have time to waste on such unsatisfying stuff. And Reading this thread is like reading an elegy for what might have been — which of course is how most of us feel, right?

But if you drop any expectation of engaging story line, is there anything left to see? More to the point, has anyone kept a list of episodes and time stamps where good strength scenes take place? Or maybe put together a video montage or play list? 

More
27 Apr 2019 18:32 #63818 by andyf
Replied by andyf on topic Season 4 x 05 Parasite Lost
If you want to see a lot Supergirl fighting and strength feats this season, check out episode 18.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RD

More
28 Apr 2019 03:56 #63820 by jay_manus
Replied by jay_manus on topic Season 4 x 05 Parasite Lost
Thanks, AndyF!

More
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds