Amount

What is there new for a superheroine to do?

23 Aug 2020 17:58 #68946 by canarysong
I've funded a couple of TKS films in the past and would like to do it again in the future.

But one dilemma I find is thinking of new things that can a superheroine can do - especially in a fan production without access to Hollywood style budgets or effects.

There's the tried and tested favourites - throatlift, hand crush, invulnerability etc. What else?

In both my films, I wrote in armwrestling scenes - armwrestling is something you normally associate with big macho guys so it's fun to watch a beautiful young woman easily defeat a man in an armwrestling contest.

I also wrote in a scene where the heroine freezes a man into immobility by touching a particular nerve, which I thought was fun and a bit diifferent.

Dialogue is good - it doesn't cost anything and a bit of teasing and taunting and general dominant attitude goes a long way.

One of the Russian Lesley Fox films had the heroine controlling a guy through mind control powers - that was nice but if she can exert that control just through her mind, why does she even need superstrength?

So let me throw the question to the floor - can anyone think of anything new or dfferent that ia superheroine can do with her powers, and that is achievable? 

JOHN

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• canarysong
  • canarysong's Avatar Topic Author
More
23 Aug 2020 19:20 #68947 by derekh48
Replied by derekh48 on topic What is there new for a superheroine to do?
I've always liked a training montage or a new supergirl being shown the ropes by a much experienced one

• derekh48
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Aug 2020 19:48 - 23 Aug 2020 19:59 #68948 by Monty
The mind control powers could be worth looking at. Perhaps she throws a criminal running from her across a rooftop, from the roof with a thought and flick of her hair, only to pause him a second before impact as he plummets screaming to his likely doom, then to tell him "I can do that to you again if you want?"
Last edit: 23 Aug 2020 19:59 by Monty.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395

More
23 Aug 2020 20:07 #68949 by morgonen
Replied by morgonen on topic What is there new for a superheroine to do?
Crushing with her legs? Wrap them around his head and he can't move them away.
It can also be done standing, like this in the Mortal Kombat movie (2:22):

More
23 Aug 2020 21:06 #68950 by d_k_c
You can make up for special effects with good dialogue or narrative.

Im a fan of power transfer. So if we imagine a scene where the the power transfer is complete, and the former Supergirl is tied up in front of a TV watching *listening to a news broadcast of the destruction  the new Supergirl is inflicting.

the new Supergirl returns and revels in what she did.

comments like, did you like how those bullets bounced off my chest?

and I just puckered my lips and blew them all away.

etc etc.

now you’ve inserted all the fx you needed into the viewers head, without ever using fx.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, CANNNNIS, pwnmawn

More
24 Aug 2020 00:17 #68952 by jgheitman
Replied by jgheitman on topic What is there new for a superheroine to do?
Always been a fan of telekinesis, can mix in mind control.  Have the one with mind control make the other with telekinesis do her bidding (throatlifts, et al). Maybe at the end make her lift herself up and fall over the edge of a balcony to leave no witnesses....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395

More
24 Aug 2020 04:34 - 24 Aug 2020 04:35 #68953 by jimbob
Replied by jimbob on topic What is there new for a superheroine to do?
There's plenty of other powers to add, TK, mind control, sonic blast, maybe even some unconventional stuff like shapeshifting (use camera tricks to suggest she's stretching her arm across the room for a punch or even some props to simulate this) or different density ie instead of the typical steel hard resistance have the actress "bounce" shots and punches off her like she's got a rubbery type of invulnerability instead.

And you can just play around with personality types. I know everyone loves the smug omni confident goddess who silently mocks her various targets but if you think that's played out how about a more playful spunky type of heroine instead who's all "Tee hee I'm beating these big strong men up" instead of the "fufufu foolish men have no chance against me."

As far as "Well why would she need these other powers if she can just immediately beat them all up with strength alone?" because it's fun and that's how superheroes work.
Last edit: 24 Aug 2020 04:35 by jimbob.

More
25 Aug 2020 20:25 #68985 by YAGS
Even with the typical Kryptonian style powers, there's a few ways to use them that I've seen elsewhere, but I don't know if TKS has ever done:

1. Finger flick to hurt someone instead of a real punch. Maybe even just a quick flick to the head that knocks someone out.
2. Putting her fingers on either side of someone's head to "squeeze" their head and cause them pain.
3. There's lots of punching and catching opponents' hands to squeeze them, but how about kicking? Either by the ubergirl or someone else trying to kick her. Maybe a martial artist tries to kick her, and she does the typical "hand catch and squeeze" routine on his foot/leg.
4. Ballbusting. Nuff said.
5. Catching bullets in the air, then "returning them" to the shooter, either by throwing, or by blowing them out of her hand with superbreath. Or even holding out her hand, palm up with the bullets on it, and flicking them with her fingers back at multiple shooters, one at a time.

As for other powers, I've always been a fan of telekinesis. Besides lifting someone in the air or choking someone, which are the most common, how about using it to hurt someone. ie She could make motions as if she's breaking a stick, and the victim could fall over as if his leg is broken. This seems like more of a villainess thing than heroic action, but it would be easy to do, as it just requires acting, not special effects.

Mind control would also be easy to portray. But instead of complete brainwashing so they mindlessly obey, how about just compelling someone to do something, despite knowing that they're being controlled and trying to stop. ie A villainess tells an enemy with a gun to shoot himself, and he can be seen struggling to stop himself, but can't resist obeying.

More
Time to create page: 0.066 seconds