Amount

Helen Slater (a.k.a. Supergirl) interview

22 Oct 2010 23:23 #20707 by demethon
www.denofgeek.com/movies/649627/helen_sl..._music_and_more.html

A few choice quotes from the article regarding the 1984 film:

Interviewer: I kind of fear that if the film was done now it'd be a very different beast, and it would be sexualised, which, in my view, would be the wrong way to go.

Helen Slater: I think you're right. Even when we're on Smallville, and I'm about to go to Vancouver next week to shoot that, that Laura was very sexualised. They had her in ripped off t-shirts, cut-offs, very sexual in Smallville, which is television. I can't imagine what it'd be like on the big screen.

And later, when discussing why there weren't any sequels:

Helen Slater: My hunch is that - and this is just my opinion - the Supergirl story... and I don't know what the answer is, but something about having a girl superhero needs to be different from a super man. It's too similar in a funny way. I don't think it should be sexualised, but I don't know what the answer is. But something that brings it alive and makes it more accessible, maybe?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• demethon
  • demethon's Avatar Topic Author
More
25 Oct 2010 15:03 #20727 by lfan
Cool interview...thx for posting!

www.denofgeek.com/movies/649627/helen_sl..._music_and_more.html

A few choice quotes from the article regarding the 1984 film:

Interviewer: I kind of fear that if the film was done now it'd be a very different beast, and it would be sexualised, which, in my view, would be the wrong way to go.

Helen Slater: I think you're right. Even when we're on Smallville, and I'm about to go to Vancouver next week to shoot that, that Laura was very sexualised. They had her in ripped off t-shirts, cut-offs, very sexual in Smallville, which is television. I can't imagine what it'd be like on the big screen.

And later, when discussing why there weren't any sequels:

Helen Slater: My hunch is that - and this is just my opinion - the Supergirl story... and I don't know what the answer is, but something about having a girl superhero needs to be different from a super man. It's too similar in a funny way. I don't think it should be sexualised, but I don't know what the answer is. But something that brings it alive and makes it more accessible, maybe?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
Time to create page: 0.039 seconds