Amount

Alita: Battle Angel - NEW TRAILER

17 Feb 2019 10:07 #62893 by slim36
Replied by slim36 on topic Alita: Battle Angel - NEW TRAILER
Alita: "With the face of an angel, a body buiilt for battle"
www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2019/...tle-else/2850609002/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Starforge

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Feb 2019 11:19 - 18 Feb 2019 11:21 #62898 by Starforge
Replied by Starforge on topic Alita: Battle Angel - NEW TRAILER

slim36 wrote: Alita: "With the face of an angel, a body buiilt for battle"
www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2019/...tle-else/2850609002/

Yep, this is one of those classic cases where the reviewers and the audience don't see eye to eye.

Rotten Tomatoes critic score:  in the 60s.
Rotten Tomatoes viewer score:  in the 90s.

Personally, I thought it was a good movie.  Then again, I didn't go to see Hamlet or a PSA on current social issues.  Guess that makes me a poor critic.
Last edit: 18 Feb 2019 11:21 by Starforge.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, Markiehoe

More
18 Feb 2019 12:13 - 18 Feb 2019 12:16 #62899 by ChaozCloud
Replied by ChaozCloud on topic Alita: Battle Angel - NEW TRAILER
It's a fine movie, nothing spectacular. It feels like they were trying to fit in as much as they can that nothing felt really fleshed out. I would say a 7/10 is a fair score for the movie.

Edit: The manga is currently on a 50% sale on comixology.eu (might be in the US too, don't know) so I would check it out. Be aware however that it's very different tonally from the movie.
Last edit: 18 Feb 2019 12:16 by ChaozCloud.

More
20 Feb 2019 23:19 #62951 by Random321
Replied by Random321 on topic Alita: Battle Angel - NEW TRAILER
It's been years since I've been to a movie theater movie but happened to have an opportunity Monday night - so I went and saw it. It was fun!

Some of the bionic fans here should certainly watch it. I for one enjoyed the future cityscape visual eye candy. I'm also a big sucker for Christoph Waltz. I also enjoyed that I could actually follow the action - punch by punch - something I've found nearly impossible in the latest Marvel and DC movies anuniverse and d a huge turnoff.

The battle/motor ball sequence seemed very Star Wars Anikin pod racing for me - I just find no joy in these kinds of scenes - but that's just my personal taste.

I hope it does well overseas. I'd like to learn more about the Earth/Mars relationship and this universe.

@starforge: 10 Points for quoting B5

It's a 7.5 maybe 8 out of 10 for me.

Project Super Woman
SFX Laden Video Shorts and Digital Comics Featuring Super Heroines
www.projectsuperwoman.com

Home of Mindy Marvel, Super Michaela, Domina, E-Girl, Bionica, Power Play, Amp, Superheroines & Super Villains.
The following user(s) said Thank You: slim36, Starforge

• Random321
  • Away
  • Uberposter
  • Uberposter
  • Project Super Woman
More
21 Feb 2019 22:28 #62962 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Alita: Battle Angel - NEW TRAILER
Well, I'm fresh from the movie and I loved it.
The overall story tries to cover the first arc of the manga (usually refered to as Battle Angel) including element from the second and fourth arc (Killing Angel and Angel of Death) and it does a pretty good job. There are some substatial differences and some of the characters aren't from the original story, but from the old animated adaptation. Still I think that for a 2 hours movie it was well both entertaining and it managed to convey the visuals and most of the feeling I got reading the original story.
Now there are two major elements that wereleft out and it kind of saddened me. First, in the Manga Alita's personality changed (slightly) every time she switched her body; true to the German phisophers that inspired him, Kishiro took the Nietzche's (mis)quote "the mind is a plaything of the body" and used these changes to underline the psychological evolution of the character. Of courese it was impossible to pack this idea in 120 minutes without seriously ruining the movie. The second element that was left out was the dark side of Ido, the doctor that saved Alita: in the manga he's a very compasionate man, but also a sadist that satisfy his bloodlust acting as a bounty hunter. This element was completely absent from the movie and Ido acts as a much more run of the mill fatherly figure.

Overall it's a very entertaining movie that manages to do one really interesting thing: it doesn't provide an absolute moral compass. Some of the trailers kind of implied a classic "evil empire" scenario, but the movie doesn't work on that premise. Just like the amnesica main character, the audience doesn't have any moral references except those that we build on our own.

(formerly Anon, still Librarian)

"What is the point of having free will if one cannot occasionally spit in the eye of destiny?" ("Gentleman" John Marcone)
The following user(s) said Thank You: shadar, Raa, Random321

More
Time to create page: 0.082 seconds