Amount

DC Universe Stargirl series

20 Jul 2018 02:01 #60249 by andyf
DC Universe Stargirl series was created by andyf
Just today, it was announced at SDCC that Great Berlabti and Geoff Johns are developing a live-action Stargirl series for the upcoming DC Universe streaming service.  The Justice Society is going to part of it as well.. This seems a bit strange to.me because both AT and the IS A appears on Legend A during season two.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kikass2014

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • andyf
  • andyf's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • SWM - Senior
  • SWM - Senior
More
20 Jul 2018 03:00 #60251 by castor
Replied by castor on topic DC Universe Stargirl series
DC doesn't seem to care about Multiple characters showing up in live action in diffrent forms-they already have 2 Flash series going .
Especially for a character whose appearence kind of one.

Curious.

I am getting a vibe of "We want a Teenage Female Superhero without a lot of baggage-and she'll do" Whether shes going to be modern day or 40s or anything else-donno...but will see. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • castor
  • castor's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Uberposter of Distinction
  • Uberposter of Distinction
More
20 Jul 2018 10:12 #60255 by lojack
Replied by lojack on topic DC Universe Stargirl series
I have more faith in this than Titans for example, as at least this has the creator of the character involved with the development of the show. What little info we got it almost looks like a conversion of the Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E. comic that she debuted in as a start (that involved the old JSA history if I recall)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jul 2018 10:16 #60256 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic DC Universe Stargirl series
Good to see Berlanti is earning that $400 MILLION that WB recently agreed to pay him to stay  lol :D

Will be keeping an eye on this as I happen to watch a few of his other shows :)

Thanks for the info :)

Peace..

/K

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jul 2018 06:05 #60272 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic DC Universe Stargirl series
This does have a pretty good chance of being pretty good since Geoff Johns (her creator) is involved.

He also based her off his dead sister, and Stargirl was the first character he made for DC Comics. He's emotionally invested in getting it right and has a strong feeling on how things should be.  Since the comic was pretty good, if they do a good job of translating it, it should have a good chance of being ok.

I don't find it accidental as soon as he's given permission to almost do what he wants, he chooses Stargirl.

In the comic, Stargirl has always been a modern character, she's a Legacy JSA character based off the Star Spangled Kid and Starman's tech (the original Star Spangled Kid used Ted Knight Starman's tech too).  In the comic she got the belt directly from her step-dad Stripesy (Star Spangled Kids sidekick back in the day) and later got the Jack Knights Staff when he retired IIRC.  (Though in Legends of Tomorrow she was in the past JSA.)

I think it'd be better if they ditch the LoT version, and go with the comic directly.  She's a young girl in high school  She's got drama of just being moved and her mom remarrying. She ends up with a mentor in her step-dad, and there was a good dynamic there IIRC.  Lot's of friction initally, but they worked it out.  That's a really good character arc, and something that woudl be great to see on TV.  (Probably the best recent Super hero step-dad is the step-dad in Ant-Man. I love that Scott and the step-dad end out friends.  A really great twist on the old trope of dad and step-dad hating one another.)

My guess is she'll start out with both her belt and the staff since the staff is what enables her to fly and do energy blasts.  Though the show will be cheaper to film is she doesn't have it at start like she did in the comic.  (HM. I think she could throw energy stars in the comic before she got the staff IIRC).

It'd also be cool to have Jack Knight and Ted Knight make cameo's .. and eventually she could get the staff the same way she did in the comics.  I think Jack would look pretty awesome on live TV.  (Though IIRC DC has an agreement w/ Robinson on using Jack, he might give permission for them to use him though.)  He'd come accross as the "cool uncle".  Belt breaks so they visit Ted Knight to get it fixed, and he upgrades it after first wondering if he should take it back.  (He got really concerned on how his tech was being used in the comic.)

I'm looking forward to this more than Batwoman (though I suspect Batwoman will grow on me as it takes shape.)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • TwiceOnThursdays
  • TwiceOnThursdays's Avatar
  • Online
  • Uberposter
  • Uberposter
More
20 Sep 2018 20:05 #61304 by andyf
Replied by andyf on topic DC Universe Stargirl series
Deadline Hollywood reports that actresses Brec Bassinger has been cast in the lead role.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • andyf
  • andyf's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • SWM - Senior
  • SWM - Senior
More
20 Sep 2018 21:54 #61306 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic DC Universe Stargirl series

TwiceOnThursdays wrote: This does have a pretty good chance of being pretty good since Geoff Johns (her creator) is involved.

He also based her off his dead sister, and Stargirl was the first character he made for DC Comics. He's emotionally invested in getting it right and has a strong feeling on how things should be.  Since the comic was pretty good, if they do a good job of translating it, it should have a good chance of being ok.

I don't find it accidental as soon as he's given permission to almost do what he wants, he chooses Stargirl.

In the comic, Stargirl has always been a modern character, she's a Legacy JSA character based off the Star Spangled Kid and Starman's tech (the original Star Spangled Kid used Ted Knight Starman's tech too).  In the comic she got the belt directly from her step-dad Stripesy (Star Spangled Kids sidekick back in the day) and later got the Jack Knights Staff when he retired IIRC.  (Though in Legends of Tomorrow she was in the past JSA.)

I think it'd be better if they ditch the LoT version, and go with the comic directly.  She's a young girl in high school  She's got drama of just being moved and her mom remarrying. She ends up with a mentor in her step-dad, and there was a good dynamic there IIRC.  Lot's of friction initally, but they worked it out.  That's a really good character arc, and something that woudl be great to see on TV.  (Probably the best recent Super hero step-dad is the step-dad in Ant-Man. I love that Scott and the step-dad end out friends.  A really great twist on the old trope of dad and step-dad hating one another.)

My guess is she'll start out with both her belt and the staff since the staff is what enables her to fly and do energy blasts.  Though the show will be cheaper to film is she doesn't have it at start like she did in the comic.  (HM. I think she could throw energy stars in the comic before she got the staff IIRC).

It'd also be cool to have Jack Knight and Ted Knight make cameo's .. and eventually she could get the staff the same way she did in the comics.  I think Jack would look pretty awesome on live TV.  (Though IIRC DC has an agreement w/ Robinson on using Jack, he might give permission for them to use him though.)  He'd come accross as the "cool uncle".  Belt breaks so they visit Ted Knight to get it fixed, and he upgrades it after first wondering if he should take it back.  (He got really concerned on how his tech was being used in the comic.)

I'm looking forward to this more than Batwoman (though I suspect Batwoman will grow on me as it takes shape.)


How cool for Geoff... creates a character (based on his dead sister) and has lots of comics appearances, and then he gets to make a movie about her. Heart and soul for sure. 

Geoff doesn't always go the direction I like. Wasn't a big fan of his take on Supergirl, but I admit his writing was creative and involved, and he was starting with Mae. His solution to her character was definitely innovative, but I kind of liked Mae's potential as she was, without blending her with a human. Still, a shapechanger who can do a credible Supergirl was pretty cool, and she wound up marrying Superman and having his kid, so that's something. The fact that his Supergirl looked nothing like his Linda (taller, blonde, more athletic-looking) was a new twist.

Shapechanging is one of those things that makes like too easy for the writer if you don't put on restraints, and then dull for the reader. But Geoff's restraint on her (she could only be Linda and Supergirl) was a decent one.  Linda was the main character and Siupergirl was the alter-ego, and while it made a good story, I wouldn't have done it that way 

But this is about Stargirl, a character I've not followed and have no pre-conceptions.  I'm prepared to be impressed. 

Shadar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Sep 2018 22:37 #61308 by castor
Replied by castor on topic DC Universe Stargirl series
She is 19 and looks younger.. 
They where not kidding on the "Girl" part of Star girl.

Shes best known for doing a Disney Channel Show, and while that doesn't necessairly mean anything-well okay i am curious to see a trailer....but....well will see. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • castor
  • castor's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Uberposter of Distinction
  • Uberposter of Distinction
More
20 Sep 2018 23:23 #61309 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic DC Universe Stargirl series
Same.  Will wait for a trailer before anything else.

I'm not well versed in Stargirl lore tbh, but I do think Geoff Johns is very creative, and not a bad writer (though ofc there are those that disagree), so this has potential.

And the family connection ensures that he will at the very least, make sure its the best it can be.

Looking forward to seeing where this goes tbh.

Peace.

/K

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Sep 2018 03:01 - 21 Sep 2018 03:04 #61315 by murdough
Replied by murdough on topic DC Universe Stargirl series
Shadar, you're thinking Peter David, who was the one who wrote Supergirl at the time and had Matrix merge with Linda Danvers as well as introduced the whole Earth Angel mythology. Geoff Johns didn't really come on to the scene until a couple years after that. Johns was the one though who finally cleaned up Power Girl's convoluted backstory and reestablished her Earth-2 Kryptonian origin, as well as returning her to the Justice Society and making her their leader. The man has a real love for the Silver Age, having also brought back Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps, as well as bringing Barry Allen back to life, among other things.
Last edit: 21 Sep 2018 03:04 by murdough.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Sep 2018 06:29 #61316 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic DC Universe Stargirl series

murdough wrote: Shadar, you're thinking Peter David, who was the one who wrote Supergirl at the time and had Matrix merge with Linda Danvers as well as introduced the whole Earth Angel mythology. Geoff Johns didn't really come on to the scene until a couple years after that. Johns was the one though who finally cleaned up Power Girl's convoluted backstory and reestablished her Earth-2 Kryptonian origin, as well as returning her to the Justice Society and making her their leader. The man has a real love for the Silver Age, having also brought back Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps, as well as bringing Barry Allen back to life, among other things.


Oh... you're right. I was confusing them. Sorry. Reset. BZZZT

But hey, they both have two first names. Kind of.


Shadar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Sep 2018 07:07 #61317 by ChaozCloud
Replied by ChaozCloud on topic DC Universe Stargirl series
Isn't Geoff Johns part of the crew that's doing that god awful looking Titans show as well?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Mar 2019 05:44 #63494 by murdough
Replied by murdough on topic DC Universe Stargirl series
They've released the first image of Brec Bassinger in costume. Looks good, and very faithful to the comics.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: lojack, Sarge395, Artnico, SCOTT R, rednecko, aguilauno, Markiehoe, kikass2014, Gargamel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Mar 2019 08:51 #63497 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic DC Universe Stargirl series
Long hair
A full grown woman's figure and a costume that highlights a great figure with a bare midriff.
WOW!
This is a show produced in 2019?
Maybe there is hope yet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, SCOTT R, kikass2014

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Markiehoe
  • Markiehoe's Avatar
  • Online
  • Uberposter of Distinction
  • Uberposter of Distinction
More
30 Mar 2019 15:05 #63502 by murdough
Replied by murdough on topic DC Universe Stargirl series

Markiehoe wrote: Long hair
A full grown woman's figure and a costume that highlights a great figure with a bare midriff.
WOW!
This is a show produced in 2019?
Maybe there is hope yet.


currently in production and slated for release in early 2020 on DC's streaming service
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Mar 2019 15:09 #63503 by andyf
Replied by andyf on topic DC Universe Stargirl series
It's filming in Atlanta, just like Black Lightening and Doom Patrol.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • andyf
  • andyf's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • SWM - Senior
  • SWM - Senior
More
30 Mar 2019 21:11 - 30 Mar 2019 21:36 #63521 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic DC Universe Stargirl series
Given the real world origin of Stargirl I'm not surprised to see her in the current line-up of series.
I admit I'm more interested to see how she would fit with the existing shows.

(formerly Anon, still Librarian)

"What is the point of having free will if one cannot occasionally spit in the eye of destiny?" ("Gentleman" John Marcone)
Last edit: 30 Mar 2019 21:36 by Woodclaw.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Apr 2019 03:22 #63600 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic DC Universe Stargirl series


Am I to assume the DC Universe is a reboot?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Markiehoe
  • Markiehoe's Avatar
  • Online
  • Uberposter of Distinction
  • Uberposter of Distinction
More
04 Apr 2019 04:15 #63606 by murdough
Replied by murdough on topic DC Universe Stargirl series

Markiehoe wrote:



Am I to assume the DC Universe is a reboot?


different universe completely separate from the Arrowverse. for example, Esai Morales has been cast as Slade Wilson/Deathstroke for the second season of Titans, despite Manu Bennet having played him for years on Arrow
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Apr 2019 03:48 #63637 by Raa
Replied by Raa on topic DC Universe Stargirl series
The lady that plans Star in this video was in The Order on Netflix.  OK show about magic.  No superherones.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds