Amount

The Boys - Final Trailer Amazon Prime

10 Jan 2020 18:25 #66333 by HikerAngel
Replied by HikerAngel on topic The Boys - Final Trailer Amazon Prime
This is the only Amazon show that I've liked thus far, but I liked it a lot. I can't get enough of the Annie/Hughie troubled romance, which is very well done.

This article has a trailer for season 2:
https://www.techradar.com/news/the-boys-season-2-release-date-trailer

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jan 2020 21:06 #66337 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic The Boys - Final Trailer Amazon Prime

HikerAngel wrote: This is the only Amazon show that I've liked thus far, but I liked it a lot. I can't get enough of the Annie/Hughie troubled romance, which is very well done.

For me it's kind of the opposite. Mind you, I recognize that the production quality is actually very high, but I'm not a fan of the original comic, so I was never part of the target audience.

(formerly Anon, still Librarian)

"What is the point of having free will if one cannot occasionally spit in the eye of destiny?" ("Gentleman" John Marcone)

More
10 Jan 2020 22:14 #66339 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic The Boys - Final Trailer Amazon Prime

Woodclaw wrote:

HikerAngel wrote: This is the only Amazon show that I've liked thus far, but I liked it a lot. I can't get enough of the Annie/Hughie troubled romance, which is very well done.

For me it's kind of the opposite. Mind you, I recognize that the production quality is actually very high, but I'm not a fan of the original comic, so I was never part of the target audience.

I never saw the original comic, and I suppose that's good given the show is supposedly less graphic. The show really pushed my boundaries as it was. 

But in the end, it was enjoyable and shocking and very memorable all at the same time, and very well done. Super powers + human nature took us to some ugly (and sometimes beautiful) places.

It's been a while since a TV show delighted me, which is to say, was a lot more fun to watch than I'd expected. 

Hopefully they won't be motivated to crank up the gore further in Season 2, but rather focus on the relationships. As HikerAngel says, the relationship between Annie and Hughie is fascinating, with excellent writing and acting. You want a superheroine for a girlfriend?  Well, that comes with a few glitches. 

Shadar

More
10 Jan 2020 23:12 #66340 by cbaby
Replied by cbaby on topic The Boys - Final Trailer Amazon Prime
The series is much better than the comic so far imo.  Looking forward to season 2.

More
10 Jan 2020 23:27 #66342 by HikerAngel
Replied by HikerAngel on topic The Boys - Final Trailer Amazon Prime

shadar wrote: I never saw the original comic, and I suppose that's good given the show is supposedly less graphic. The show really pushed my boundaries as it was.

Less graphic!!! Wow! Glad I didn't read the comic book version... it's hard to imagine a more graphic version of that show! It already has more than enough "ew" to put my horror stories to shame. :)

More
10 Jan 2020 23:38 #66343 by Helstar
Replied by Helstar on topic The Boys - Final Trailer Amazon Prime

HikerAngel wrote: Less graphic!!! Wow! Glad I didn't read the comic book version... it's hard to imagine a more graphic version of that show! It already has more than enough "ew" to put my horror stories to shame. :)

You have no idea lol :D yeah I didn't really like the comic book version (but surely the "deconstruction" of superheroes mania is there and I appreciated it already) but the tv serie is a lot better. The only good thing missing from the comic book is TERROR (Billy Butcher's hilarious bulldog)

More
11 Jan 2020 18:54 #66358 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic The Boys - Final Trailer Amazon Prime

Woodclaw wrote:

I read the original run (it's been awhile, but I read it back in the day).  And I REALLY get how it'd be too much for people because, that's what they were going for.   (Like if you read Amanda Connor's "The Pro" about a hooker who gets powers by giving a Superman-analog a blow job and swallowing... you should know what you getting into from the outset.)  But the Pro is raunchy... but it's probably PG-13 next to the Boys.

I think the show is much better done that the comic, which seemed to sometimes just go for shock to go for shock.  Not that the show doesn't do some of that -- to not would to not be true to source -- but I find it toned down and more consistant.

And I know that people having seen the show will express disbeief at that but yes the show is really toned down from the comic.  

They just released omnibus editions of the comic, and they're on comixology unlimited if you have that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Helstar

More
12 Jan 2020 15:35 - 12 Jan 2020 15:36 #66368 by The Highlander
Replied by The Highlander on topic The Boys - Final Trailer Amazon Prime
I have to confess I took one look at this series, realised how gory and unpleasant it was (plus a friend of mine read the comics so I knew a little about it already) and just went no. 

I liked Jessica Jones and Luke Cage but this was just too grim for me.
Last edit: 12 Jan 2020 15:36 by The Highlander.

More
12 Jan 2020 22:55 #66380 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic The Boys - Final Trailer Amazon Prime

The Highlander wrote: I have to confess I took one look at this series, realised how gory and unpleasant it was (plus a friend of mine read the comics so I knew a little about it already) and just went no. 

I liked Jessica Jones and Luke Cage but this was just too grim for me.

It does come across as overly grim and graphically bloody on first look, but I stuck with it and grew fascinated with the Hughie and Annie portrayals, Which given what is going on around them is pretty amazing. Basically, a couple of innocents getting sucked into the heart of all that evil, as they struggle and mostly succeed in maintaining their own morality and relationship. They are very unlikely soulmates given they are nominally on opposite sides of the bloody conflict. 

Annie, a beautiful superheroine with great powers, from a small town, who is hopelessly naive (at first) and still idealistic and kind. And Hughie, a simple geeky guy who had a bottom-level job selling TVs in a low-end version of Best Buy, and  whose girlfriend is killed by a super and then becomes Billy Butcher's sidekick. Somehow, he's still got a good heart despite killing an otherwise invulnerable superhero by sticking an explosive up his ass and detonating it. (Invulnerability doesn't work from the inside out). You'll never see that in a CW shows. (Not sure I ever want to see it again either!)

In fact, Annie and Hughie's good hearts are what connect them in a sea of ugly goings-on.  That's a heck of a subplot/sidestory that keeps bouncing off the main story. It's very well written and well acted and its what keeps my head in the show. 

By a large margin, this is the best-written superhero show on TV, IMHO. And very "believable" when you consider what ego and power does to most people. The folks who resist the corruption are the interesting ones. 

Shadar

The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395

More
12 Jan 2020 23:33 - 12 Jan 2020 23:37 #66383 by Helstar
Replied by Helstar on topic The Boys - Final Trailer Amazon Prime
So... in the second season we will have Stormfront (a Thor/Captain Marvel parody) - surprisingly ... will NOT be a villain but a villainess as Aya Cash will portray the character !
Then we get Terror the bulldog and Crimson Countess (a Scarlet Witch parody if i'm not wrong), not sure who'll be the actress.

This is gonna be epic.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 12 Jan 2020 23:37 by Helstar.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, shadar, slim36, aguilauno, lowerbase, HikerAngel

More
09 Mar 2020 17:00 #67131 by murdough
Replied by murdough on topic The Boys - Final Trailer Amazon Prime
New photos of Aya Cash as Stormfront, from the upcoming second season of the Boys.

https://www.cbr.com/the-boys-season-2-stormfront-first-look/

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, lojack, Sarge395, Kamelmann, aguilauno, TheOne25, Gargamel, cristian01984, Bolt527, HikerAngel

More
10 Mar 2020 21:22 - 10 Mar 2020 21:24 #67137 by slim36
Replied by slim36 on topic The Boys - Final Trailer Amazon Prime
www.ign.com/articles/the-boys-season-2-r...age-of-new-superhero
“She’s really social-media-savvy, where Homelander doesn’t really have anything to do with that," Starr said. "Someone else is always running
his accounts. He’s almost like a Don Draper-era character and she’s very
young and new and fresh, and that’s a massive challenge for him.”

Stormfront has plasma bolt capabilities and isn't afraid to stand up to
Homelander, and Cash thinks "the dynamic between the two is terrifying
and will change who Homelander is."

What really makes Stormfront intriguing is that viewers may think she is one thing at the beginning
of season 2, but she may be quite different by the end.
Last edit: 10 Mar 2020 21:24 by slim36.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bolt527, HikerAngel

More
11 Mar 2020 01:54 #67143 by AuGoose
Replied by AuGoose on topic The Boys - Final Trailer Amazon Prime
Keep in mind the name "Stormfront" is a popular term in neo-nazi jargon and given how universally shitty the people are in The Boys, pulling a gender-swap is unlikely to water down the aggressively Aryan-Nordic fascist streak of the source character. That she's of comparable power to the Homelander doesn't even remotely mean 'enter good guy counterweight'.

This is a dark ride. Don't expect that to change.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395

More
11 Mar 2020 06:59 #67144 by willow
Replied by willow on topic The Boys - Final Trailer Amazon Prime

AuGoose wrote: Keep in mind the name "Stormfront" is a popular term in neo-nazi jargon and given how universally shitty the people are in The Boys, pulling a gender-swap is unlikely to water down the aggressively Aryan-Nordic fascist streak of the source character. That she's of comparable power to the Homelander doesn't even remotely mean 'enter good guy counterweight'. This is a dark ride. Don't expect that to change.

Correct. Stormfront in the comic was male and a neo-nazi. In fact, the V substance that gives people superpowers was originally designed by a Nazi scientist near the end of World War 2. If I recall correctly, the scientist had just created Stormfront before the Allies found his lab. Or the scientist was taken in by the Allies (just like Nazi rocket scientists in Operation Paperclip) who then created Stormfront but also raised him on Nazi beliefs. I cannot remember exactly. Regardless, Stormfront is something of a Homelander prototype but has fully bought into Nazi ubermensch propaganda about himself. Homelander is the improved and more powerful version of Stormfront without the Nazi propaganda. Stormfront becomes the first really major superpowered person that The Boys take down. Amusingly enough, The Boys are aided in taking down Stormfront by an old Soviet superhero named Love Sausage due to enormous dick that is impossible to hide in a tight spandez outfit. Did I mention that Garth Ennis, the creator of The Boys comic, hates superheroes and uses the comic to make fun of everyone in the genre?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, Ravens_ghost

More
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds