Amount

Lena Headey TV show pilot 2006 Show was called Ultra.

24 Jul 2020 02:48 - 24 Jul 2020 03:02 #68676 by Sarge395
Anybody else ever see this one shot pilot.  I've got a low resolution copy.  

She has telekinesis and superstrength.  

Peter Dinklage was also in it.  

A single superhero juggles her crime-fighting career with the demands of her active social life.

Might try to upload the five parts to YouTube unlisted.  Anyone interested?

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 24 Jul 2020 03:02 by Sarge395. Reason: Forgot show name
The following user(s) said Thank You: Raa, aguilauno, Markiehoe, gkirby488, Slim0926, kikass2014, static2097, q7w9a4s6z13, RD, cbrptc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Sarge395
  • Sarge395's Avatar Topic Author
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
24 Jul 2020 06:47 #68677 by SHTL
Interested !
Thank you
I searched now online but didn't find videos

More
24 Jul 2020 07:17 - 24 Jul 2020 07:26 #68678 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Lena Headey TV show pilot 2006 Show was called Ultra.
I've seen it, though w/ a low-resolution copy as well.  (It's been a while.)

IIRC this is where Lena Headey and Peter Dinklage met, which is how she got the job on Game of Thrones.  Dinklage was pretty much the only choice to play Tyrion, and once he was in, he suggested  Headey.  (A page I used to Fact Check this says they met on the set of "Pete Smalls is dead" but it's from 2010 and Ultra is from 2006, maybe it took a while to release Pete Smalls is dead?  Dunno, I'd always heard they met on this set..)

Also, this is based on a comic that's pretty fun. Each cover is like the cover of a different magazine.

www.comixology.com/Ultra/comics-series/5...zdC9zZXJpZXNTbGlkZXI

You can get them SUPER CHEAP on eBay.  These are pretty fun and they're worth less than when they came out!  There is also a collected Graphic Novel, but it's probably worth more than the issues.

(If you are searching eBay, go into comics and search for "Ultra Luna" to find it, it's by the Luna Brothers, and the word "Ultra" shows up too much in Comics.  (I, uh, might spend a lot of time searching eBay for comics....)
Last edit: 24 Jul 2020 07:26 by TwiceOnThursdays. Reason: removed eBay link as it was tossing an error
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

More
24 Jul 2020 08:32 #68680 by willow
To my understanding, this was the first time Dinklage and Headey worked together. I remember stumbling across the low res copy on Youtube a while back too. The comic is far superior and quite a good story. The comic has a "Sex and the City with superheroes" kind of vibe. I really enjoyed it and would recommend checking it out. From what I recall of the pilot, it was nothing at all like the comic.

• willow
  • Away
More
24 Jul 2020 08:50 #68681 by Woodclaw
I believe that a super low-res copy circulated in this community around 2007-8.

More
24 Jul 2020 10:31 #68682 by kikass2014
I'm interested to see it for sure :)

Peace.

/K

More
24 Jul 2020 10:47 #68683 by Markiehoe
Count me in!
I would like to give it a look.

More
24 Jul 2020 11:31 #68684 by SHTL
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, Markiehoe, kikass2014, cbrptc

More
More
25 Jul 2020 00:23 #68690 by erikphandel
Only one superstrength scene, no sexy costume, awful quality. Don't even bother. Get the comics, they're pretty great and Ultra's costume is great

More
25 Jul 2020 07:25 #68691 by ace191
I have all 8 issues.  Great run by the Luna brothers.

More
25 Jul 2020 08:00 #68692 by ace191
I just watched all 5 parts.  Terrible!  The actress looked good for the part.  Why did they not use the comic uniform and follow its plot?

More
25 Jul 2020 08:19 #68693 by SHTL

More
26 Jul 2020 02:44 #68697 by willow

ace191 wrote: I just watched all 5 parts.  Terrible!  The actress looked good for the part.  Why did they not use the comic uniform and follow its plot?

My guess is the producers or studio did not think a "Sex and the City with superheroes" style story would work. This was made in 2006. Years before the Marvel films would mix humor and action together, and even those films were hit or miss in the early years. This was in between Batman Begins and Dark Knight when everyone was still trying to be dark, gritty, and close to real life with their superheroes. It is a bit ironic because the story in the comic would be right up there with modern day superhero shows and movies. Most likely whoever bought and now owns the tv/movie rights to Ultra still has them and refuses to do anything with them without their involvement.

The same thing happened with the Wheel of Time book series. The author sold the tv/movie rights to some company a long time ago to a company that has no experience actually creating a tv show or movie. They refuse to do anything with the series without some kind of direct involvement or ownership. So nobody with any actual experience wants to work with them. This is doubly ironic because networks were clamoring for a "Game of Thrones" fantasy competitor series for years when GoT was at its peak. The Wheel of Time series would have been perfect but the idiots who owned the rights refused to act. However, they did make a pilot episode starring Billy Zane a few years ago and released it on TV at 2:00 AM in the morning. However, this was only so they would meet their contractual obligations to retain their rights to the series.

Funny enough, another company did the same thing back in the 1990s with the Fantastic Four. They made a film for $1 million with Roger Corman directing in order to retain the rights to the franchise. The film was never released and can only be found through bootleg video tapes and DVD copies.

• willow
  • Away
More
26 Jul 2020 14:08 - 26 Jul 2020 14:10 #68701 by Helstar
I think I have read that Amazon actually bought the rights for The Wheel of Time, so we can expect to see something good in the next few years (hopefully)
Last edit: 26 Jul 2020 14:10 by Helstar.

More
26 Jul 2020 16:50 #68703 by kikass2014
The Wheel of Time series (along with Lord of the Rings 2nd age) is currently in production at Amazon as far as I know.

Looking forward to both :)  Hopefully they won't mess it up lol :P 

Peace.

/K

More
27 Jul 2020 05:21 #68705 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Lena Headey TV show pilot 2006 Show was called Ultra.

willow wrote: Funny enough, another company did the same thing back in the 1990s with the Fantastic Four. They made a film for $1 million with Roger Corman directing in order to retain the rights to the franchise. The film was never released and can only be found through bootleg video tapes and DVD copies.

One of the things I found out recently.  I knew there was a pilot of a Blazing Saddles TV Show. It was called Black Bart and starred Louis Gosset Jr.

What I learned recently, is that in order to keep the rights to develop something off Blazing Saddles, the studio made 4 seasons totaling like 20 episodes.  Louis Gosset Jr confirmed there were a lot of episodes filmed.

AFAIK, only the pilot has seen the light of day anywhere. (I'm pretty sure it's included on some Blazing Saddles Blu-rays.)  But it's not terribly great, as one would expect something made to just keep rights.

The strange things that happen in Hollywood.

More
16 Aug 2020 03:20 #68883 by shevek
Sorry we missed this thread until now! The Ultra TV show pilot was terrible because it wasn't superheroic enough and didn't adhere closely to the themes of the comic. But the comic book series is great. It's too bad the Luna Brothers went on to other things (we also have their 'Girls' comic book series), and didn't try to re-develop this comic again - it would make a great TV show right now.

The Ultra comic book is one of a bunch of more 'modern' (read: 2000s era) influences that went into making our series Heroineburgh, even though many of our other influences are a bit older from the 70s / 80s / 90s.

More
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds