Amount:

Physically strongest female character?

06 Mar 2017 01:12 - 06 Mar 2017 01:18 #52997 by lowerbase
Replied by lowerbase on topic Physically strongest female character?
> Precisely why I find Supergirl a much more appealing character than Superman. She has the generic do-goody personality, but also traces of conflict due to the fact that she left Krypton when she was 16 instead of 1

Supergirl has a big character development problem: it is called Superman.

She'll always to be seen as a byproduct, even in her own comics and own series it is an issue. And that in her universe Superman is present and even saves the day, while in his universe, she doesn't actually exist. When it happens, it sounds like charity to a minor character.

The biggest mistake of her creators was giving her the same superman outfit.

Which, btw, is my theory of why Power Girl was created. A Supergirl that is not in Superman's shadow or a female copy of him, and has a life of her own... and has a boob window instead of an 'S'. Thumbs up for this womanly idea.

On my previous post I said that She-Hulk would be the physically the strongest, as I remember reading once that Hulk could smash so hard that he could break between dimensions. Well, that's strength. She-Hulk can reach his form, it implies she can do the same shit as Hulk.

So I still stand for She Hulk being the physically strongest female character.
Last edit: 06 Mar 2017 01:18 by lowerbase.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lulu, erikphandel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Mar 2017 00:52 #53030 by rebel4life
Replied by rebel4life on topic Physically strongest female character?
Na, it's basically quite simple.

Two female superheroes armwrestle one-on-one (on an indestructible/neutral) plate. No other superpowers involved. Who wins?

I'll stick with She-Ra.

• rebel4life
  • rebel4life's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Mar 2017 00:32 #53049 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Physically strongest female character?

rebel4life wrote: Na, it's basically quite simple.

Two female superheroes armwrestle one-on-one (on an indestructible/neutral) plate. No other superpowers involved. Who wins?

I'll stick with She-Ra.

When it comes to simple muscular contraction, I don't know how anyone could beat a Kryptonian.

I've always seen Superman as stronger than Kara given he's got (much) larger muscles, but that the two of them were in their own class.

Other characters have an array of additional powers that make them more powerful due to their summation (think Maxima with her TK power added to her physical strength), but muscle strand to muscle strand, Krypts are unique.

At least, that's how I've always seen it.

Of course, there are those who envision Kryptonians doing most things with a kind of telekinetic power, in which case their body simply channels the TK force. I'm not in that camp at all, but I understand how it could explain everything.

That forced me to come up with my own explanations, which led eventually to inventing Velorians.

Shadar
The following user(s) said Thank You: rebel4life

More
13 Mar 2017 16:19 #53123 by argonaut
Replied by argonaut on topic Physically strongest female character?
Silver Age Supergirl --

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395

• argonaut
  • Uberposter of Distinction
More
13 Mar 2017 17:55 #53125 by shadar
This is the kind of scene that always threatened to destroy my interest in comic-book Kryptonians in the Silver Age. God-like powers and a total disregard for even the most outrageous of comic-book physics.

Who could ever become a challenge to her power if she can throw entire worlds around like they were some beach ball? Yet the next week, she was struggling to defeat some human criminal.

We saw a bit of this in Supergirl Season 1. She was physically challenged and even out-classed in a few fights, and then she picks up the "million ton" Fort Roz and tosses it into deep space.

Bottom line for me, any definition of physical strength would not apply to these kinds of scenes. Physical strength is muscular strength. Throwing a world requires an energy level and power that is greater than a star. Or is it all telekinetic mental-powers voodoo nonsense?

Shadar

argonaut wrote: Silver Age Supergirl --

More
13 Mar 2017 18:03 #53126 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic Physically strongest female character?
And note, she only needed to use one hand/arm to do it! Just exactly what place on Earth could absorb all that force and not crumble? And how much water would splash out of the oceans but hey, she looks GREAT doing it!

More
14 Mar 2017 00:16 - 14 Mar 2017 00:23 #53137 by shadar

ace191 wrote: And note, she only needed to use one hand/arm to do it! Just exactly what place on Earth could absorb all that force and not crumble? And how much water would splash out of the oceans but hey, she looks GREAT doing it!

Yeah... but I need a little science with my fantasy. Some element of plausibility is a requirement.

When I created Velorians, one of my rationalizations was that they had ten times the number of muscle strands as a normal human, but each was only a tenth the size but a hundred times stronger. That accounted for both strength and having much greater muscular expansion than human when exerting.

Another one I tried was that most of their muscles were just optimized human tissue, but connective tissues, bones and a very small fraction of their muscle strands were powered by Orgone energy and were fantastically strong. That explained how shutting down Orgone metabolism (via suppressing the thyroid) would depower them to more or less human.

At least there was some pseudo-science in that (if you assume someone is mixing in alien DNA).
Last edit: 14 Mar 2017 00:23 by shadar.

More
14 Mar 2017 01:27 #53138 by rebel4life
Replied by rebel4life on topic Physically strongest female character?

shadar wrote: Yeah... but I need a little science with my fantasy. Some element of plausibility is a requirement.

When I created Velorians, one of my rationalizations was that they had ten times the number of muscle strands as a normal human, but each was only a tenth the size but a hundred times stronger. That accounted for both strength and having much greater muscular expansion than human when exerting.

I find myself in complete agreement with you right there, physics/science matters, even in comics.

Actually, as stupid as this may be, I've always had an issue with "normal" people being able to lift or even to somehow get in the way of the path of Superwomen. And, I may, add, they do this next to every episode in CW's Supergirl (SG), but I digress.

Point is, underlying physics dictate that strength is equal to mass times velocity per time unit (F = m * a). Accepting that, i'll stick with SG, she's not as fast as Flash and certainly doesn't accelerate as quickly as Flash, she necessarily has to have a way higher mass and density in order to be superstrong. I think they've got this right in the Supergirl movie of 1984, when a trucker tried to lift Helen Slater as SG and failed completely to do so. Ever since, not so much.

• rebel4life
  • rebel4life's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 Mar 2017 02:34 #53142 by argonaut
Replied by argonaut on topic Physically strongest female character?
I have to wonder what it was like for the inhabitants of those planets. If one of them had witnessed what Supergirl was doing, it would have appeared that she was balancing on one arm with her hand pressed against the ground, then sweeping her arm forward to send the planet careening from its orbit. Since she must have imparted some spin to the planet, I imagine buildings toppling, tidal waves engulfing the continents, and the atmosphere being stripped away as the planet hurtles through the cold, dark void ...

On another note, I like her humblebragging: "Sorry I'm a little late, but I had to stop for gas go to the bank move half a dozen planets into new orbits."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395

• argonaut
More
14 Mar 2017 20:00 #53160 by lowerbase
Replied by lowerbase on topic Physically strongest female character?

argonaut wrote: I have to wonder what it was like for the inhabitants of those planets. If one of them had witnessed what Supergirl was doing, it would have appeared that she was balancing on one arm with her hand pressed against the ground, then sweeping her arm forward to send the planet careening from its orbit. Since she must have imparted some spin to the planet, I imagine buildings toppling, tidal waves engulfing the continents, and the atmosphere being stripped away as the planet hurtles through the cold, dark void ...

On another note, I like her humblebragging: "Sorry I'm a little late, but I had to stop for gas go to the bank move half a dozen planets into new orbits."

Yeah, that was one dru's 'oh no sally' mega stunt

Then they are rebuilding their civilization, and they noticed that Earth's gal hovering over them again, 'oh no, it's Supergirl'

More
Time to create page: 0.082 seconds