Amount

Wonder Woman in Batman v Superman

03 Apr 2016 20:07 #47150 by jdrock24
Replied by jdrock24 on topic Wonder Woman in Batman v Superman

kikass2014 wrote: I agree. Doomsday was handled so poorly. His menace, power and threat should have been built up towards, not shoved in (like a lot of thing in this film). And they could of spent more time on how he looked too.

@JDRock24

Why the Jon Stewart.gif? I think d_k_c hit it spot on.

Out of curiosity, what did you find wrong with movie?

Peace.

/K

The gif was because of the Captain Picard to Luthor comparison. I mean, what the heck was he even talking about?

As for what I found wrong with the movie: I said above that the movie seems to drag until the fights start. The Knightmare sequence threw me the first time I watched it but was totally okay the second time.

Okay, now I'm going to throw this question right back at you:

What did you find right with the movie Mr. kikass2014?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jdrock24
  • jdrock24's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
03 Apr 2016 22:36 #47152 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Wonder Woman in Batman v Superman
So, the only things you felt were wrong with the film was the pacing up to the fight? Really? That's all that is wrong with this film?

To answer your question, and perhaps surprisingly, there were some things I did LIKE about the movie. To be fair it isn't a lot, but it's something.

I felt Affleck's portrayal of Batman (and Bruce Wayne) was pretty good. His movement, menace when he is Batman, physicality were all good. He embodied an older, more mature Batman. I was probably most surprised by this as I have to admit, I was one of those that was "WTF???" when it was announced he would be playing the part. Hands up, he won me over.

Same goes for Cavil as Superman. Physically he looks the part.

I really liked Wonder Woman's theme :)

Aesthetically there was a lot of great looking stuff (as there is with all Snyder films, its what he is best at). A little too much slow-mo, but meh, I didn't mind it.

And that's about it. Unfortunately all the good is weighed down by the shear amount of bad stuff, that there really isn't much left. Even die-hard comic-book fans (especially fans of Batman and Superman, who you would think would LOVE this film), say this films is bad.

Peace.

/K

P.S. I am actually surprised that you didn't understand what d_k_c was saying. His "Picard" description is actually not that complicated, or wrong.

More
04 Apr 2016 02:39 #47154 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Wonder Woman in Batman v Superman
Ahh 11 things i like about the movie

I'll put em in spoilers for hecks though not all of them are spoilers.

Warning: Spoiler!

More
04 Apr 2016 14:48 - 04 Apr 2016 17:03 #47160 by jdrock24

So, the only things you felt were wrong with the film was the pacing up to the fight? Really? That's all that is wrong with this film?

In my view, yes.

Even die-hard comic-book fans (especially fans of Batman and Superman, who you would think would LOVE this film), say this films is bad.

Warning: Spoiler!
Now I can see older comic book fans of perhaps the Silver Age not being pleased since these are new interpretations of the characters and not the heroes they grew up with. Again, what I hear when I hear complaints like this all boils down to "NOT MY SUPERMAN! NOT MY BATMAN!! etc..." Like people have an idealistic view of what these heroes should "be" that they automatically hate the new interpretations of what they are given. Never mind the fact that there have been literally dozens of different interpretations of the characters over the past 75 years plus they have been in existence.

P.S. I am actually surprised that you didn't understand what d_k_c was saying. His "Picard" description is actually not that complicated, or wrong.

I didn't understand because it made no sense. Are you telling me that the characters of Captain Picard and Lex Luthor are analogous to one other because they can order their computer to do things for them? I mean, which Next Generation episode was it where Picard ordered the Enterprise computer to create an ancient killing machine from a long dead planet? I honestly don't remember...

There are articles popping up all over the net about the emotional themes running through BM v SM. I've already posted a couple. It is unfortunate that some will dismiss them (or worse, refuse to think about them) because this is a "superhero movie" and should be "fun" and crack jokes every five seconds.
Last edit: 04 Apr 2016 17:03 by jdrock24.

• jdrock24
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
04 Apr 2016 15:36 #47161 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Wonder Woman in Batman v Superman

jdrock24 wrote:

I didn't understand because it made no sense. Are you telling me that the characters of Captain Picard and Lex Luthor are analogous to one other because they can order their computer to do things for them? I mean, which Next Generation episode was it where Picard ordered the Enterprise computer to create an ancient killing machine from a long dead planet? I honestly don't remember...

I think that what DKC meant was that the scene played out more like someone ignoring a simple precaution meant to prevent an unpleasant -- but harmless -- consequence, rather than going through a complex and dangerous procedure that should feature multiple failsafes and security measures. On one hand this is trying to apply real world logic to a comicbook/movie situation, although one could argue that a man of Luthor's supposed intelligence should implement those features for his own survival.

More
04 Apr 2016 17:31 #47163 by d_k_c
Replied by d_k_c on topic Wonder Woman in Batman v Superman
Leave it to Woodclaw to add some intelligence to my buffoonery.

Yes, that's exactly correct.

Maybe its because I haven't bought a Superman comic in 20 years. But the Lex I remember wouldn't jeopardize his life for the sake of chaos. Nor would he blow up senate/congress to pursue disorder. The first thing Doomsday did after being created was try to kill Lex Luthor. And Lex has this, 'I'm okay with that expression' as superman saves him.

Oh and the whole 'My mom's name is Martha, and so is yours - we should be best friends??? ......Painful

More
04 Apr 2016 17:48 #47164 by jdrock24

Maybe its because I haven't bought a Superman comic in 20 years. But the Lex I remember wouldn't jeopardize his life for the sake of chaos. Nor would he blow up senate/congress to pursue disorder. The first thing Doomsday did after being created was try to kill Lex Luthor. And Lex has this, 'I'm okay with that expression' as superman saves him.

Oh no. Now we are getting "NOT MY LEX LUTHOR!!" argument. Geez...

Oh and the whole 'My mom's name is Martha, and so is yours - we should be best friends??? ......Painful

How could people not get this? That was the moment Bruce/Batman finally saw Superman as something more than just an alien. He finally saw him as a fellow human with a mother just like his. Bruce always felt like a failure for not protecting his mother from death, now he wasn't going to let another mother die. Again, watch this video for a review of this moment:

• jdrock24
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
04 Apr 2016 18:55 #47166 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Wonder Woman in Batman v Superman

jdrock24 wrote:

Oh no. Now we are getting "NOT MY LEX LUTHOR!!" argument. Geez...

To be fair each and every one of us has a personal canon in mind whenever we talk about games, movie, comics, books or any other media you can name.
I haven't watched Dawn of Justice yet, but from what I could gather from trailers and comments I got the impression that the production team tried to do with Lex what Marvel did with Justin Hammer in Iron Man 2: turning the aging multi-millionaire/scientist/whatever into a younger more rampart version of himself.
Does it work?
I don't know yet, but I somewhat doubt it. Not because of the performance, but because of the characters might relate to each other. In the case of Hammer, making him younger mean strengthening his rivalry with Tony Stark. Try to imagine in your mind having those scenes from Iron Man 2 played with an old Justin Hammer, I don't think that the characters would gel together so well.
On the subject of Luthor, I'm not so sure that this was needed. In my book Luthor is an almost purely mental threat to an almost purely physical character (such as Superman is represented most of the time). His appearence is irrelevant, but his demeanour should reflect that he's the one in control of the situation, he should handle most situation like a world class chess player handles a match. Cold and calculating, this is how I imagine Luthor most of the time. Now the character I saw in the trailers seemed more of a Sheldon Cooper on crack. I might be dead wrong, but this is what it looked like.

jdrock24 wrote:

How could people not get this? That was the moment Bruce/Batman finally saw Superman as something more than just an alien. He finally saw him as a fellow human with a mother just like his. Bruce always felt like a failure for not protecting his mother from death, now he wasn't going to let another mother die. Again, watch this video for a review of this moment:

Maybe going through the mothers' names wasn't the best approach, but I'm more than willing to cut a mile f slack on this one, because I think Jdrock nailed on the head.

More
04 Apr 2016 20:27 #47168 by jdrock24

To be fair each and every one of us has a personal canon in mind whenever we talk about games, movie, comics, books or any other media you can name.
I haven't watched Dawn of Justice yet, but from what I could gather from trailers and comments I got the impression that the production team tried to do with Lex what Marvel did with Justin Hammer in Iron Man 2: turning the aging multi-millionaire/scientist/whatever into a younger more rampart version of himself.
Does it work?
I don't know yet, but I somewhat doubt it. Not because of the performance, but because of the characters might relate to each other. In the case of Hammer, making him younger mean strengthening his rivalry with Tony Stark. Try to imagine in your mind having those scenes from Iron Man 2 played with an old Justin Hammer, I don't think that the characters would gel together so well.
On the subject of Luthor, I'm not so sure that this was needed. In my book Luthor is an almost purely mental threat to an almost purely physical character (such as Superman is represented most of the time). His appearence is irrelevant, but his demeanour should reflect that he's the one in control of the situation, he should handle most situation like a world class chess player handles a match. Cold and calculating, this is how I imagine Luthor most of the time. Now the character I saw in the trailers seemed more of a Sheldon Cooper on crack. I might be dead wrong, but this is what it looked like.

If you want a cold and calculating Lex, wait until you see the "Senate hearing" scene. ;)

Maybe going through the mothers' names wasn't the best approach, but I'm more than willing to cut a mile f slack on this one, because I think Jdrock nailed on the head.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

• jdrock24
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
06 Apr 2016 16:51 #47184 by kikass2014
With all due respect JD, you keep missing the point I (and maybe others) am trying to make.

You seem hung up on whether people LIKE the film, or whether they LIKE this characterization/representation of Superman, Batman, Lex, etc.

That is not the point I am making. Let me say that again. That is not the point I am making.

Whether you like the film or not is irrelevant to whether the film is good or bad. You cannot dispute that. But you seem to keep ignoring it.

“Now I can see older comic book fans of perhaps the Silver Age not being pleased since these are new interpretations of the characters and not the heroes they grew up with. Again, what I hear when I hear complaints like this all boils down to "NOT MY SUPERMAN! NOT MY BATMAN!! etc..." Like people have an idealistic view of what these heroes should "be" that they automatically hate the new interpretations of what they are given. Never mind the fact that there have been literally dozens of different interpretations of the characters over the past 75 years plus they have been in existence.”

Again, in relation to my point above, you seem to be missing the point. It’s not about specific interpretations not matching up to their version. It’s about missing a) the core concept of what these characters stand for and represent; and b) what being a “hero” is about.

In response to your question who these fans are that I seem to be quoting, here are some of those comic book fans who think the movie is bad. Read: bad. Not whether they like the movie or not.

Peace.

/K

More
06 Apr 2016 20:15 - 06 Apr 2016 20:15 #47185 by jdrock24

With all due respect JD, you keep missing the point I (and maybe others) am trying to make.

You seem hung up on whether people LIKE the film, or whether they LIKE this characterization/representation of Superman, Batman, Lex, etc.

I really don't care if someone doesn't "like" the film. That is subjective. What I find silly is the nit-picky reasons people give for not liking it. With the silliest one being "That's not my (insert character's name here)."

That is not the point I am making. Let me say that again. That is not the point I am making.

It pretty much sounds like the point you are making.

Whether you like the film or not is irrelevant to whether the film is good or bad. You cannot dispute that. But you seem to keep ignoring it.

What? That makes no sense. If I like a film, it is good to me. If I don't like a film, it is bad to me. That doesn't seem that hard to understand. Are you saying that someone, somewhere has come up with some set criteria about what makes a "good" movie and all the rest of us are supposed to just accept that, regardless of personal preference? That seems a bit totalitarian of you doesn't it?

“Now I can see older comic book fans of perhaps the Silver Age not being pleased since these are new interpretations of the characters and not the heroes they grew up with. Again, what I hear when I hear complaints like this all boils down to "NOT MY SUPERMAN! NOT MY BATMAN!! etc..." Like people have an idealistic view of what these heroes should "be" that they automatically hate the new interpretations of what they are given. Never mind the fact that there have been literally dozens of different interpretations of the characters over the past 75 years plus they have been in existence.”

Again, in relation to my point above, you seem to be missing the point. It’s not about specific interpretations not matching up to their version. It’s about missing a) the core concept of what these characters stand for and represent; and b) what being a “hero” is about.

Again, who decided what the core concepts of the characters are? You? In any interpretation, I would think that sacrificing yourself for others is what being a "hero" is all about, wouldn't you?

In response to your question who these fans are that I seem to be quoting, here are some of those comic book fans who think the movie is bad. Read: bad. Not whether they like the movie or not.

Again, this is all opinion. Although I am curious as to how you got the videos to embed in your post. What browser do you use? I cannot get that thing to work in Firefox.

Peace.

Peace.
Last edit: 06 Apr 2016 20:15 by jdrock24.

• jdrock24
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
07 Apr 2016 23:59 #47194 by kikass2014

“I really don't care if someone doesn't "like" the film. That is subjective.”

I agree. Whether someone likes a film or not is subjective.

“What I find silly is the nit-picky reasons people give for not liking it. With the silliest one being "That's not my (insert character's name here)."

If it was one or two reasons, I agree, this point would stand. But it is more than just one or two points, as has been pointed out numerous times, by numerous people. And they aren’t “silly nit-picky reasons”. Some are fundamental logic that seems to fly out the window in this film.

“What? That makes no sense. If I like a film, it is good to me. If I don't like a film, it is bad to me. That doesn't seem that hard to understand. Are you saying that someone, somewhere has come up with some set criteria about what makes a "good" movie and all the rest of us are supposed to just accept that, regardless of personal preference? That seems a bit totalitarian of you doesn't it?”

I have to say that on this point, it is you who makes no sense. And I will demonstrate how. Like I have said, I love the film Sucker Punch. But by no stretch of the imagination can I claim it is a good film. The story really doesn’t make a lot of sense, the dialogue and acting are not great, and there isn’t really any moral or meaning to the story. But I love it for my own reasons. This does not make it a good film. In fact, I would go so far as to say it’s a bad film for those reasons.

Likewise I dislike the film The Omen. I find it hard to watch PRECISCLY because it is VERY GOOD at what it is. The score by Jerry Goldsmith is FANTASTIC. The story and the way it unravels, the visuals, are all very chilling. And the acting is brilliant (not surprising seeing as you have Gregory Peck, Lee Remmick, and Billy Whitelaw (who gives an outstanding performance) all in one film). Thus The Omen can be said to be a good film. And this is verified by general consensus among critics and fans.

In both those examples, my personal liking or disliking has no bearing on whether the film is good or not. Hopefully that may make my point a bit clearer.

“Again, who decided what the core concepts of the characters are? You?”

Originally it would be the creator/writer, but I would also argue that when talking about iconic characters that have been going for decades, the general public decides. And they vote with their mouths and their wallets. Why do you think DC is rebooting their universe AGAIN after the whole “New 52” reboot? Because it sucked and was not selling.

Yes you can reinterpret a character, but the core stays the same. James Bond is a good example. Each actor (and writer) has a slightly different take on the role. Connery is macho and serious, Moore is wise-cracking, Brosnan is a combination of those and Craig is gritty. But fundamentally, they share core traits – they are tough, they are charming, they sleep around, they kill, they are resourceful.

Sherlock Holmes is another example. Take the classic Basil Rathbone representation and then look at Benedict Cumberbatch in the modern take. Different (due to the time period they are set in) but also FAITHFUL to the core of the character (meticulous, just, pompous, arrogant, intelligent, a drug addict). These are traits the fans of the books, and now the general public (since Holmes is now part of pop culture) expect Holmes to have.

Otherwise why not just call the character a different name? As someone said, why not call Superman something like “Captain Collateral”?

“Again, this is all opinion.”

No, see this is where I think you may be missing the point. I am not arguing subjectively (which is what opinions are). I am making an objective case for why Batman V Superman is a bad film, as are, for example, most of the people in the videos I posted. Why is it objective? Because they are referring to things IN the film. They are not inferring, interpreting, imagining, anything. This is where opinion would come in, like “In my opinion, in the film X happens because Y”. They are saying “X happens because ??” and anyone can see it on screen.

“Although I am curious as to how you got the videos to embed in your post. What browser do you use? I cannot get that thing to work in Firefox.”

In answer to your question about embedding the videos, I just wrote the links in the post and the clips came up. Same way other people’s clips appear embedded in their posts. I didn’t do anything special, I just assumed that’s how it worked for everyone :) I use Chrome as my browser if that helps, though I did used to use Firefox (but can’t remember if I saw embedded clips). Hope that helps :)

Peace.

/K

More
08 Apr 2016 16:26 #47211 by jdrock24

I have to say that on this point, it is you who makes no sense. And I will demonstrate how. Like I have said, I love the film Sucker Punch. But by no stretch of the imagination can I claim it is a good film. The story really doesn’t make a lot of sense, the dialogue and acting are not great, and there isn’t really any moral or meaning to the story. But I love it for my own reasons. This does not make it a good film. In fact, I would go so far as to say it’s a bad film for those reasons.

Likewise I dislike the film The Omen. I find it hard to watch PRECISCLY because it is VERY GOOD at what it is. The score by Jerry Goldsmith is FANTASTIC. The story and the way it unravels, the visuals, are all very chilling. And the acting is brilliant (not surprising seeing as you have Gregory Peck, Lee Remmick, and Billy Whitelaw (who gives an outstanding performance) all in one film). Thus The Omen can be said to be a good film. And this is verified by general consensus among critics and fans.

In both those examples, my personal liking or disliking has no bearing on whether the film is good or not. Hopefully that may make my point a bit clearer.

I reject this line of thinking. You seem to be saying that there is some set criteria that makes up a "good" film and all the rest of us should just get in line and follow it. Sorry, I can think for myself and the only "guideline" I use as to whether or not a film is good is my own opinion. I don't care what anyone else says. I guess I'm just a rebel that way, an incurable individualist.

Take the movie Boyhood. That movie had a 100% on Rotten Tomatoes for a long time (It is now at 98%) so my wife and I decided to watch it one night. Hey, RT is basically telling us it is the perfect movie based on the established guidelines you seem to be promoting, right? Wrong! It was possibly the worst, most boring movie I have ever seen! I really wish that I could get those three plus hours of my life back...

I've never seen Sucker Punch so I can't speak to its quality. But if you like it, then it must be a good film, to you. In fact, since you seemed to enjoy it, I may give it a watch sometime ;)

Originally it would be the creator/writer, but I would also argue that when talking about iconic characters that have been going for decades, the general public decides. And they vote with their mouths and their wallets. Why do you think DC is rebooting their universe AGAIN after the whole “New 52” reboot? Because it sucked and was not selling.

Yes you can reinterpret a character, but the core stays the same. James Bond is a good example. Each actor (and writer) has a slightly different take on the role. Connery is macho and serious, Moore is wise-cracking, Brosnan is a combination of those and Craig is gritty. But fundamentally, they share core traits – they are tough, they are charming, they sleep around, they kill, they are resourceful.

Sherlock Holmes is another example. Take the classic Basil Rathbone representation and then look at Benedict Cumberbatch in the modern take. Different (due to the time period they are set in) but also FAITHFUL to the core of the character (meticulous, just, pompous, arrogant, intelligent, a drug addict). These are traits the fans of the books, and now the general public (since Holmes is now part of pop culture) expect Holmes to have.

Otherwise why not just call the character a different name? As someone said, why not call Superman something like “Captain Collateral”?

Okay, but then how can you say "That's not my Batman!" in BM v SM when he is based on the Batman from The Dark Knight Returns; widely considered to be the best interpretation of Batman in history? Not coincidentally, I believe it is the best selling graphic novel of all time. The people sure "voted with their wallets" in that case, didn't they?

As to Superman, there have been many different interpretations of the years but the original back in the 1930's killed people all the time. But you know what? He evolved and advanced. So why can't he advance further from what he was in the 1970s? Besides, the SM in MOS and now BM V SM is still, at his core, what SM has always been. A good guy trying to do the right thing.

No, see this is where I think you may be missing the point. I am not arguing subjectively (which is what opinions are). I am making an objective case for why Batman V Superman is a bad film, as are, for example, most of the people in the videos I posted. Why is it objective? Because they are referring to things IN the film. They are not inferring, interpreting, imagining, anything. This is where opinion would come in, like “In my opinion, in the film X happens because Y”. They are saying “X happens because ??” and anyone can see it on screen.

I can't be responsible if people aren't paying attention during the movie and don't know why things are happening. I will admit that some scenes required a small bit of knowledge from the comics (I'm specifically referring to the Knightmare scene here) but it wasn't too often.

I think the problem most people are having with this movie is that they went in expecting a Marvel movie in which you didn't have to think and could just "have fun" with it. When they watched it and found out that it was much deeper and required them to actually think about the use of power and how it should be wielded or restrained, they recoiled. The movie really needs to be seen a 2nd time in order to absorb it all. I'm going for a third time sometime next week...

In answer to your question about embedding the videos, I just wrote the links in the post and the clips came up. Same way other people’s clips appear embedded in their posts. I didn’t do anything special, I just assumed that’s how it worked for everyone :) I use Chrome as my browser if that helps, though I did used to use Firefox (but can’t remember if I saw embedded clips). Hope that helps :)

Let my try that:

Hey, it seemed to work. I was trying to use the "video" button up in the control bar but I couldn't get it to work. Didn't know it was so simple...

Let me try another one:

www.facebook.com/manofsteelfansgiveshope...os/1230393370323858/

Well, that one didn't work. I guess because it was from Facebook and not Youtube. It is a good review also about why that person loved the movie because it took risks and made you think.

Can't wait to see this movie again in theaters and then the 3 hour version when it is released in July.

Peace

• jdrock24
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
09 Apr 2016 08:49 #47223 by d_k_c
Replied by d_k_c on topic Wonder Woman in Batman v Superman
I feel bad for you JD. You loved BvS but the consensus is nearly unanimously otherwise.....You are literally speaking to a community of people that want to love that movie.......And I do agree the criticism is overly harsh. It's an Okay movie, but extremely damaging to the DC venture for future spin off's. Batman vs Superman is a compilation of minor errors in addition to some face palm errors. When Batman's reasoning was that he shouldn't kill superman because his mother and supermans mother share the same name?.......BUT....He wanted to kill Superman because theres a 1 percent chance Superman could wipe out the planet........And all it took, to come to terms with that potential 1% threat, was that their mothers shared the same name?????.....Face palm, simply will not do...........Face punch, feels much better.

More
09 Apr 2016 13:56 #47226 by kikass2014
@JD

I reject this line of thinking. You seem to be saying that there is some set criteria that makes up a "good" film and all the rest of us should just get in line and follow it.

Yes there is a criterion that makes a “good film”. It is called the codes and conventions of film making and storytelling. Shoving scenes together and rambling randomly (note not directly speaking about B V S, but any narrative), while it can be called a film, or story, is, objectively, not a good one by ANYONES criteria.

And while some film makers (like for example Tarantino, Kubrick, Scorsese, Gilliam) do “bend” these rules, they seldom “break” them.

Sorry, I can think for myself and the only "guideline" I use as to whether or not a film is good is my own opinion. I don't care what anyone else says. I guess I'm just a rebel that way, an incurable individualist.

You believe in relativism. A lot of people do so not that much of a rebel :)

I can't be responsible if people aren't paying attention during the movie and don't know why things are happening. I will admit that some scenes required a small bit of knowledge from the comics (I'm specifically referring to the Knightmare scene here) but it wasn't too often.

I was paying attention, got the references to Darkseid and Para-demons in the “Nightmare Dream Sequence”, got the “…freaks dressed like clowns” reference, the “Death in the Family” reference, and even what appeared to be a Mother-Box in the little Cyborg clip that played for a few seconds.

So my attention was not wanting.

And the stuff that has been pointed out as being illogical, I am assuming, to you, is explained in throw-away lines or brief shots. I will try to give an example, and I am sure it has been noted elsewhere:

Lex’s motivation. What is Lex’s motivation for hating Superman?

When they watched it and found out that it was much deeper and required them to actually think about the use of power and how it should be wielded or restrained, they recoiled. The movie really needs to be seen a 2nd time in order to absorb it all. I'm going for a third time sometime next week...

I keep coming across this line of argument a LOT in relation to this film, from others and from yourself. And while I truly believe you don’t mean to be, I find it a little insulting.

This movie is not Citizen Kane. It is not Pi. It is not some deep philosophical exposition on complicated subjects (despite Zach Snyder babbling on about this in interviews before the film was released). Simply by throwing in words like “God” every 2 minutes, and showing religious imagery and symbolism, does not make a film hard to understand.

It is a simple film that is so full of itself that it fails at basic filmmaking.

I think the problem most people are having with this movie is that they went in expecting a Marvel movie…

No, again this is a straw man argument. I did not go in expecting a Marvel film. But I did go in expecting to a film that a) made sense; b) had interesting characters that one could care for and c) entertained. You know, things you would expect from ANY film.

…in which you didn't have to think and could just "have fun" with it.

Again, you seem to imply that this film is some complicated enigma that requires study to understand. It really doesn’t. Without blowing my own trumpet too much, one of my degrees is in Film Studies and English Literature. This film would be laughed at if held up as an example of a deep, complicated film, or work of art that deserves study.

I, and I may be being a bit presumptuous, but I get the feeling that you are at heart, a DC fanboy. And that’s fine. That is your choice.

I base this on the many exchanges, like this one, that we have had over the course of a year or less leading up to this film.

DC fanboys SOOOOO wanted this movie to be a critical and financial success that they keep telling themselves the same lie over and over, in the hope of convincing themselves it is true. That is, the film is serious, a deep exploration of grand themes in a comic book movie. And to justify that to themselves, they basically say this – anyone who doesn’t like the film, or thinks it is a bad film, is too dumb to understand it.

You’re not the first person I’ve come across that says this tbh.

Even most DC fans have come to terms with this film being bad and are moving on. Only the DC fanboys are the ones virulently defending it still.

You may seem to think that I have some sort of agenda against DC films, or their comics in general. This is false. I love all good comic books (Marvel, DC, Image, Valliant, Sirius, etc).
I WANT a good DC cinematic universe. But I as a fan of these characters, and I’m not in the minority here, are not getting it. And by supporting the guff coming from WB/DC so far (Man of Steel and now Batman V Superman) is not going to achieve that.

As an example of how Batman V Superman could have been better, here are a few points worth considering:

- Don’t have Wonder Woman in the film (save her debut for the stand alone film)

- Don’t have Doomsday in it and try to shove the whole Death of Superman storyline into 15 mins (save that for Man of Steel 2, or at the very least something that needs to built-up to)

- Have the Justice Leagues clips as an after credit clip setting up the future films

Without changing any other of the other flaws, these three points alone would have made the film MUCH better.

Let my try that:

Glad to see you got the video embedding working :) Yeah I think you are correct in that it only works with Youtube links and that’s why the Facebook one doesn’t play.

Peace.

/K

P.S.

I've never seen Sucker Punch so I can't speak to its quality. But if you like it, then it must be a good film, to you. In fact, since you seemed to enjoy it, I may give it a watch sometime ;)

See it :) It is a visual delight if nothing else :)

More
09 Apr 2016 18:47 #47229 by jdrock24
We are just going to have to agree to disagree kikass2014 and d_k_c.

If you d_k_c cannot figure out the significance of the "Martha" moment and will just continue to parrot the "kewl kid" internet meme, then I cannot help you. I've explained it. I posted a video from another guy explaining it. If you have no desire to think for yourself, then the conversation is over.

kikass2014, I have no doubt that you have had some education in film and that you know the conventional ways in which a film should be constructed. However, in art, any art, rules are not absolute. I believe that is the case here with BM v SM. It breaks some of your precious rules and the critics couldn't stand it. For me, the movie worked and that is all I care about.

• jdrock24
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
09 Apr 2016 18:52 #47230 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Wonder Woman in Batman v Superman

jdrock24 wrote: Okay, but then how can you say "That's not my Batman!" in BM v SM when he is based on the Batman from The Dark Knight Returns; widely considered to be the best interpretation of Batman in history? Not coincidentally, I believe it is the best selling graphic novel of all time. The people sure "voted with their wallets" in that case, didn't they?

As to Superman, there have been many different interpretations of the years but the original back in the 1930's killed people all the time. But you know what? He evolved and advanced. So why can't he advance further from what he was in the 1970s? Besides, the SM in MOS and now BM V SM is still, at his core, what SM has always been. A good guy trying to do the right thing.

I'm going to get pedantic for a moment (even though this point isn't a problem for me in the movie, I'm going to take issue with how you set this up):

Batman in The Dark Knight didn't kill anyone. I will give that Snyder patterned a lot of his Batman after The Dark Knight (or rather the Dark Knight that exists in his head as HE think Batman killed in The Dark Knight). If you don't believe Batman doesn't kill, re-read it, or go find one of the dozens of sites that go over this point with points back to the text. Batman repeatedly draws a line, breaks guns, and refuses to kill (maiming and crippling he seems fine with). And He WANTS to kill, but doesn't. Down to the point where the police list crimes that Batman has committed, Murder isn't one of them, UNTIL Joker kills himself making it look like Batman did it. Frank Miller goes out of his way to state multiple times that Batman didn't kill in the actual text of the story.

It is however, a point that everyone REMEMBERS differently, as Batman as so violent.. But this doesn't change the facts. (Just like people remember Joker beating Jason Todd to death with a crowbar in A Death in the Family. It's simply not true.)

I also can't source that it's the best selling graphic novel of all time. It is certainly popular, and well regarded.

Now, most of it's sales would be in the 80's, but here's Amazon's best sellers (which would be a more recent thing, and is probably not totally fair .. but notice #4 vs #19): www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Books-Graphi...vels/zgbs/books/4390

A mute point, that it's popular and well regarded is enough. I just think a bit of hyperbole isn't needed, and hurts the argument you are making.

I will say that creators need the ability to adapt and change characters to tell stories. If they don't, the characters will grow stale and die. That includes changing things that others consider elemental to the character (but may not have been at the character conception).

But, it's also fully within ANY reader's/viewer's rights to say "nope, doesn't work for me". Don't like Korra and Asami as a couple? Fine. Don't like Sherlock Holmes in Elementary? Fine. Don't watch it. Or watch it as "something else". (I love Korrasami, and never bought the main character as Sherlock in Elementary, though it seems a fine show, and I enjoyed it for awhile.)

Even though I have problems with BvS, taking risks on Lex, a Batman who Kills, or their new take on Superman, these are not the problems I have. I don't think Lex worked, because I don't think they had a coherent vision of who Lex was for the actor, writing, or the editing. But this is not saying "It's not my lex!", or that Synder/Goyer shouldn't have been able to try.

(There are some who I think fall into the "not my X", but some I think are just mis-labeled that way as they aren't quite co-herently explaining why the take didn't work for them.)

More
09 Apr 2016 19:06 #47232 by TwiceOnThursdays

jdrock24 wrote: We are just going to have to agree to disagree kikass2014 and d_k_c.

If you d_k_c cannot figure out the significance of the "Martha" moment and will just continue to parrot the "kewl kid" internet meme, then I cannot help you. I've explained it. I posted a video from another guy explaining it. If you have no desire to think for yourself, then the conversation is over.

kikass2014, I have no doubt that you have had some education in film and that you know the conventional ways in which a film should be constructed. However, in art, any art, rules are not absolute. I believe that is the case here with BM v SM. It breaks some of your precious rules and the critics couldn't stand it. For me, the movie worked and that is all I care about.

Someone can "get it' and it can still not work for them.

I understood what they were going for in the theatre, I even thought "wow they made showing Batman's parent's death actually relevant in the movie".

It still didn't work for me, and it's hokey. Just like the crowd protecting Supergirl in the Supergirl/Flash episode.

Now, it could be I had so many other problems, I wasn't quite willing to buy into this. But for whatever reason, I understand all that is said, it's just not working for me. I can go into depth about that ... but really it just didn't work, I found it a bit silly.

But, this is a personal reaction. That clip you keep posting, that guy is a better person than I am. He's filled with more joy and light, and he sees that in the movie. I'm not, and I don't. I get why it works for you.

I just don't quite buy it, nor do I like that movie essentially resolves around that point. If it doesn't work for you .. I will go out on a limb and say that the movie probably didn't really work for you either. And I wonder how much truth there is in that. Think "Martha' is awesome -> movie is awesome. Think it's silly/didn't work/should have been better -> have problems with the movie.

I will say you should try not to ascribe motives to other people (the entire sections on why critics don't like the film, and then applying to to why others here don't like it.)

More
07 Jul 2016 04:26 #49003 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Wonder Woman in Batman v Superman
I know it's been a long time since this got bumped, but I just watched the extended version of B vs S. This has got to be one of the worst movies ever.

Even in the extended scenes, Gal does not sell me on being WW. Her WW is cold, mechanical, alien. She doesn't even seem that bright. (But she does like to fight!)

I had first thought that some of that was due to overcutting her scenes in the theatrical version, but with an extra 30 minutes added, you'd think they could flesh her out a bit. Not really.

The longer version doesn't fix anything, it just draws it out longer. I've got to stop watching Zach Snyder films.

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
07 Jul 2016 04:42 #49004 by shadar

shadar wrote: I know it's been a long time since this got bumped, but I just watched the extended version of B vs S. This has got to be one of the worst movies ever.

Even in the extended scenes, Gal does not sell me on being WW. Her WW is cold, mechanical, alien. She doesn't even seem that bright. (But she does like to fight!)

I had first thought that some of that was due to overcutting her scenes in the theatrical version, but with an extra 30 minutes added, you'd think they could flesh her out a bit. Not really.

The longer version doesn't fix anything, it just draws it out longer. I've got to stop watching Zach Snyder films.

I should clarify one thing... the extra time DID help make some of the early stuff in the movie better. Or at least more understandable. That was good. But I don't think it did much for WW.

• shadar
More
08 Jul 2016 18:11 - 08 Jul 2016 18:14 #49033 by Dru1076
Replied by Dru1076 on topic Wonder Woman in Batman v Superman
I too had hoped the extended might help Wonder Woman more. I confess I was pretty disappointed in this movie. I mean.... You could cut wonder woman out altogether and just come up with some other way to hold the beastie steady.

I'm glad others seemed to like it though. I don't want them to stop spending money on these films. If only Jess and JT, or some of the other filmmakers around here had the budget of BvS.
Last edit: 08 Jul 2016 18:14 by Dru1076.

More
11 Jul 2016 01:05 #49057 by jdrock24
Still think it is one of the greatest comic book movies ever made. Easily in my top 5.

• jdrock24
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
12 Jul 2016 20:48 #49094 by fats
Replied by fats on topic Wonder Woman in Batman v Superman
I'm just dumping this pic here, it's from her Instagram account.

Fats

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
12 Jul 2016 23:43 #49095 by shadar
The puzzler for me is how Snyder is going to bring Supes back in Justice League.

He's clearly stated clearly that Batman will found and organize JL, and then Superman will later play a major role.
OK, that's within plausibility for a Kryptonian. To heal and come back to life (although even that's more plausible if they shot him into the sun or something. Buried, presumably he doesn't get solar rays.)

But how to they explain Clark Kent also coming back from the dead? Or maybe Clark is gone forever in the movie franchise. Not sure how Superman works without Clark. Or girlfriend Lois.

Or maybe they do some kind of time travel/warp story to prevent either's death.

Anyone have any ideas, theories or insights into this?

• shadar
More
13 Jul 2016 03:58 #49098 by TwiceOnThursdays

shadar wrote: The puzzler for me is how Snyder is going to bring Supes back in Justice League.

He's clearly stated clearly that Batman will found and organize JL, and then Superman will later play a major role.
OK, that's within plausibility for a Kryptonian. To heal and come back to life (although even that's more plausible if they shot him into the sun or something. Buried, presumably he doesn't get solar rays.)

But how to they explain Clark Kent also coming back from the dead? Or maybe Clark is gone forever in the movie franchise. Not sure how Superman works without Clark. Or girlfriend Lois.

Or maybe they do some kind of time travel/warp story to prevent either's death.

Anyone have any ideas, theories or insights into this?

Synder said in an interview that the reason he killed Superman is that he didn't see it making sense for Superman to start the JLA, and it had to be Batman for it work/make sense.

There is some old Superman lore about some radiation from a yellow sun that can pass right through the planet that gives him is powers. (Pre-Byrne Solar battery idea). I think this was to explain why he didn't loose his powers at night/deep in the ocean/etc. I've aways thought that was pretty silly, even in the face of tachyons -- as it doesn't seem like there is enough to power him (there isn't in full sunlight anyway, this just makes it worse). I also don't know if the tachyon/odd planet ignoring radiation output of a yellow star is that much different than any other star ...

Presumably someone figures out he's just MOSTLY dead, and then digs him up, and exposes him to massive amounts of solar radiation to heal him (take hm up to space, build a big mirror, or even better, take him closer to the sun AND build a big mirror). Just getting to orbit is a huge increase (IIRC only about 40% of solar energy hits the ground, plus in space you can easily get sunlight 24/7). Maybe after giving him some surgery because they might be able to with his reduced powers (he should be pretty drained). It's even possible they use some positive form of Kryptonite or some Kryptonian healing tech.

Of course the Jesus analogies were strong in BvS (not that unusual for Superman) -- which pretty much say he needs to wake up himself after some time period. Probably not 3 days, I mean you can't be TOO obvious about it. Might be time for a reappearance of his father's electronic ghost, which will help bring him back. After all Jesus had help from his dad too.

Though I think Synder wants this to be the starting mission of the JL at the beginning of the movie ... which sounds like a lot of wasted time in the movie, though it can be used for some exposition/introduction to the heroes. Just if they spend 30-45 minutes to bring back Superman, you've chewed up a good portion of the movie...

The explanation for Clark _should_ be that that no one saw the body. I don't know if they set that up in BvS. That is his Daily Planet friends/etc think he's dead because he was at ground zero and there isn't anywhere for him to be, so he must be "dead". No body, you get to use "i was injured and hit my head and had amnesia. I wandered out of the area, but I wasn't in a hospital so you couldn't find me." Or he was shunted to another city and in the chaos records were lost. There have to be a lot of people injured, and it'd be chaotic for a fairly long while.

(Though I seem to recall they said there was a body, so that's probably mute. But it could be they were saying they MOVED Superman's body there secretly, but no one else knew there was an actual body in the casket.)

And we'll have to wonder how anyone could NOT wonder 'Hey Clarks' back from the Dead! And so is Superman! At the SAME TIME!" So really, the 'Clark Kent' identity should be dead -- unless they have someone like Martian Manhunter be Clark Kent for a bit while they're healing Superman. Then they come back at different times, and no one will connect them. Plus you can have them visible at the same time.

I have to agree, Superman seems wrong to me w/o Clark Kent (or some other human identity), and I like him a lot better with Lois (and Lois knowing his secret). I'm actually enjoying Superman Rebirth with Lois + kid. I knew I didn't like DC52 Superman, I wasn't quite aware how much I didn't like him.

More
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds